Can't get excited about Bioshock

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by irishgrizzly, Aug 9, 2007.

1. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

I was very interested about this game when I first heard of it. Now not so, sure it's got a unique setting and strange power effects. But I had the impression of lots of different outcomes depending on how you interact with the characters, giving the story more depth. But all the videos I see of it now show a standard fps corridor crawler. Shoot enemy type x and then y or just y and ignore x. Hardy seems like a very involving experience. Thoughts?

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It's not really a game that's got me excited either. They've kept so much secret for so long that it just becomes "meh" when something does come out. I'll probably play my brothers copy when he inevitably gets it but it's not on my radar.

3. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i'm kinda skeptical too... from what i've seen it sort feels like being in between half life and system shock in terms of gameplay which soudns good on paper and the setting seems cool but i'm much more impressed by COD4 options for the multiplayer

somehow i simply don't get wowed by current gen shooters anymore ... i slowly get the feeling that shooters might be already past their prime

4. irishgrizzly thread starter macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

5. irishgrizzly thread starter macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

I posted this topic in another forum and got this reply;

Its definatly not a standard corridor shooter. After reading the review, i cant be more excited about this. And if its anything like System Shock 2, then its good enough for me. Just read the bit about the level that is similar to the Cradle level in thief.

What more do you want though? Great graphics that run very well, great brilliant acting, excellently scripted scenes, big daddies, too many different ways of killing people, etc...Its going to be great.​

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I'm very excited about this game....it my most anticipated game for the 360. I can't wait to toss bombs at those weird little kid things...yeah I know thats not right.

Bless

7. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I'm probably going to get it. Bioshock doesn't add that much to the FPS genre, but it does look really good. The environments and lighting look really nice.

8. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

and the water looks amazing.

I'm psych'd for this game. The story sounds pretty cool and I love how you have choice in deciding how you want to play the game. It sounds like if you really wanted to, you could get through a lot of the game by getting everyone to fight eachother while you go about your business. I can't wait to kill a Big Daddy and harvest the little sisters :D damn that sounds wrong.

9. progx macrumors regular

progx

10. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

I haven't gotten into the hype for this game yet.

This is most likely due to the fact that there are so many other games I'm hyped for. I haven't paid much attention to this game because of that.

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

The problem is if you just look at the game on the 'face of it' then yes you have a dark fps with rpg overtones.

Like we havent had a million of them by this point 'meh' you think.

The anticipation for this game is based on those with prior history of the developers games.

What's important is the fact that this is from the team that brought us System Shock 2, and anyone who has really played that game can testify to the level of atmosphere, tension, scariness, and all round magnificence of that game, when on the initial surface it looks just like another FPS.

System Shock 2, was a huge critical success, but not a massive commercial success. Another one of those monumental titles, that were outdone by titles with bigger marketing budgets.

BioShock is meant to be the natural evolution of the System Shock 2 benchmark, and that alone has me licking my lips in anticipation.

I don't think anygame I have played has had me more on my seat that SS2, and if BioShock is even half as good as that classic, we'll be in for a treat.

12. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I will be buying this for PC. I have my fingers crossed for some old school goodness. I just hope the controls are as extensive as earlier Looking Glass games.

I liked SS2 quite a bit, but the randomly spawning monsters really annoyed me. The first SS only had so many monsters, which made sense. There were only so many crew members to harvest and ammo was a limited commodity. It really helped to balance the game. SS2 should have also either spent more time refining the story for 3 occupations and fixing any holes, or preferably not have offered the choice to choose in the first place. This IMO lead to a story that wasn't as tightly woven as SS and felt a bit unfinished in some areas. The controls in SS2 were 10 fold better though.

And speaking of SS; There's an area in RE4 that reminded me of the lab level in SS. Capcom is a thieving turkey!!! :)

<]=)

13. franky4fingers macrumors newbie

since a lot of you are getting Bioshock I'm expecting a detailed report on how well it runs on a MBP 2,2 by Tuesday ;)

14. ictiosapiens macrumors regular

I just went through the demo, and thought it was really cool, specially the art direction, the style is so cool, you feel like you are in some sort of 50's city, then you look out the window and you are underwater. Also found the story quite gripping. I really want to know what's happening down there. Also the whole weapons system with guns in one hand and powers on the other allow for great combos. The graphics style remind me a little bit of prey, I don't know what engine prey uses, but it feels similar.

We'll see what happens, I for one will be buying it early on the 24th...

15. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

The demo was pretty linear, which was a bummer, but the art design and about 80% of the graphics are great (although the 'reveal' shot of Rapture in the beginning is downright laughable compared to the stunning opening moments around and inside the lighthouse). The game has a lot of potential.

And if you can't get excited, you can't get excited. I have friends who didn't like Shadow of the Colossus. Doesn't stop me from thinking it's one of the greatest games ever made.

16. TantalizedMind macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

Man, I love the Bioshock demo. Too bad my 2nd 360 died yesterday. Looks like I'll fill that void with Metroid Prime 3: Corruption or Lair.

17. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

same here. i played the demo, wasn't impressed.

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I was looking forward to that, but the reviews so far have been very average to say the least. Not sure i want to blow €70 ($94) on a game that's been getting 6/10 average.

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I wouldn't give a high rating to a repackaged Rogue Leader either.
    wink O_-

20. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I thought Prey had really crummy graphics and even worse art direction... it was still a fun game but Doom 3 was a lot better looking in my opinion. By the way, Prey uses the Doom3 engine (id Tech 4 as they now call it :rolleyes:) and Bioshock uses the Unreal Engine 3 (same engine as Gears of Wars and Rainbow Six Vegas).

2007 is looking to be a revolutionary year in shooters, the last year that was like this was 2004 (Far Cry, UT2004, Doom 3 and Half-Life 2) and this one looks to be even more impressive (Bioshock, UT3, Crysis, etc). This a good time to own a gaming PC or games console.

21. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Wow, my attitude has completely changed about this game. Before, i was vaguely interested in it, but after watching the videos, reading the reviews, and playing the demo, this is a definite buy for me. Gamespot gave it a 9.0, and IGN gave it a 9.7. The environments look amazing, and the story seems interesting, being about man's struggle to create a utopia.
    Add another game to the must haves for the 360...

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Downloading the PC demo now. It all rests on this for me :eek:

22.5kbps, 1 day 16 minutes remaining.

23. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

So Bioshock owns......Thats all I got to say about it.....I got the game and I'm loving the gameplay. This game needs multiplayer but oh well.

This game owns..........for now that is.

Bless

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

If you missed the Windows/OSX games post- I don't like the demo. The controls aren't as responsive as HL2, even worse than Doom 3. The setting is fantastic and one of them ¨I wish I thought of that¨ situations. It's very cinematic. From the demo alone I pretty much worked out some of the key story points (did a little read up on spoilers just to be sure).

Feels way too much like Doom 3.5. Sick of these dark shooters now.

25. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I'm actually a big fan of horror shooters, especially the ones with interesting plot like F.E.A.R. (have you played that?). I'd be dissapointed if Bioshock feels like Doom 3.5 though, I'm under the impression Bioshock is a game with great atmosphere and setting, great plot and some amazing combat (the three things that made me love F.E.A.R.).