Can't get mount screws off hard drive (SOLVED)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kolax, Feb 11, 2009.

1. kolax macrumors G3

I ordered an Hitatchi 320GB 7200RPM hard drive for my MacBook Pro. Arrived today, and I've just got round to installing it. I've pretty much wrecked the screw that holds the plastic retainer to stop the hard drive falling out - used the correct screw driver, little pressure and it was in so tight that I've destroyed it. Anyway, I got it out and there is still some catch on it so I can put it back in loosely.

Now onto my actual problem - my new hard drive didn't come with any mounting screws. I have no idea what screw driver or alan key to use. The smallest alan key I have won't fit.

I'm gutted - fact that I've shredded the retainer screw and that I can't get the mounting screws out.

solved.

2. nylon macrumors 6502a

nylon

You need what's called a Torx T6 screwdriver to remove the mounting screws on the preinstalled HDD and reattach them to the new one.

You should be able to find such a screwdriver at any hardware store. I picked one up at Home Depot as part of a precision screwdriver set for $5.

3. PLin macrumors 6502

4. Phat Ham macrumors member

Sears carries the right driver, too: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00941651000P

or you can get something like this: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...and+Tools,+General+Purpose&sName=Screwdrivers

I have the second one it comes in pretty handy, though the reviews on the sears website are not that great. I wonder what the heck those people are using it for if they have to put enough torque on it to break the handle.

Also, when it comes to phillips head screws make sure you don't use a driver that is too small. Use the biggest driver that will fit.

5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

If it is the head of the screw that is destroyed, but not the actual screw, then a pair of pliers might help :eek:

6. SoybeanStasher macrumors regular

I don't know if my screwdrivers are just mislabeled or what, but T6 was too small for me. In any case, if you get a precision set of Torx screwdrivers it'll be obvious enough which one fits properly. Got mine at Lowes for $6.

7. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Thanks for the replies. I've got a set of Torx screw drivers, so swapped the mount screws and installed the drive. Up and running!

The black plastic bit - the screw from that, it will turn with a bit pressure and I've put it in enough that the hard drive won't move, but loose enough that I can unscrew it.

I'll look into a replacement screw - thanks for that link.

Cheers for the help.

8. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Do you feel any vibration from the 7200RPM drive?

9. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

Just dismantled a G4 iBook and the HD needed a Torx 8 screwdriver. Not sure if this helps or not!

10. crazyrog17 macrumors regular

Isn't that a captured screw? It wont come out without destroying the black hard drive mount retaining bar.

11. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Nah - it is a normal screw, just mine was in too tight and ended up shredding it to get it to turn.