Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kycophpd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Louisville, Kentucky
I’ve used the new MacBook Pro 16” for about 5 hours this morning at work and forgot about the notch until seeing this article. It really is not something you notice unless you are one of those who dwell on things you have no control over. I noticed it for about the first 5 minutes. Since then, it doesn’t even grab my attention.

That being said, I’m glad those it bothers have options now.

MJaP

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2015
I tried one of them but I actually prefer the notch. Seeing the black bar at all time makes the screen appear smaller for some reason. Trick to the brain?maybe because this way you will have the actual bezel + the black „digital bezel“ from the menu bar so it ends up looking like one big bezel. I prefer seeing the wallpaper behind the menu bar
a9e94ef4-86a6-4763-b60f-8e67a175ec4a-jpeg.1880605

Using my amazing and magical powers of deduction, do your credit card numbers mainly consist of the numbers 1, 2, 3, and 5?! ?

jeroenvip

macrumors regular
May 13, 2017
Well your screen size gain is notching much to talk about. Its nochtalgic that people prefer the old screen form factor.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
a9e94ef4-86a6-4763-b60f-8e67a175ec4a-jpeg.1880605

Using my amazing and magical powers of deduction, do your credit card numbers mainly consist of the numbers 1, 2, 3, and 5?! ?

Hahaha not gonna lie. It took me a moment to get it and no those are part of my phone number ? and yes, the keyboard is really prone to smudges and I wash my hands before using it and don’t allow myself to eat when I use it!

Kagio

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
I think it’s great.. the side notch area is still being used and taking advantage of.. so Apple logic still applies.. this is why I don’t get them not making it a settings option

I tried one of them but I actually prefer the notch. Seeing the black bar at all time makes the screen appear smaller for some reason. Trick to the brain?maybe because this way you will have the actual bezel + the black „digital bezel“ from the menu bar so it ends up looking like one big bezel. I prefer seeing the wallpaper behind the menu bar

IIGS User

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2019
Waa.

My $2,000+ laptop that I KNEW had a notch on it before I bought it has a notch on it. Waa.

Anyone wants to straight up trade my notch less late 2018 MBP for their new MBP with a notch as an even swap, inbox me and I'll pay shipping both ways.

If you don't want a notch, don't buy the darn thing. It's really that simple. I didn't want my new truck to only get 18 MPG but you don't hear me complain because it's on a giant sticker on the side window saying so and I knew what I was getting before I bought it.

It's not like Apple HID the notch from you before you bought it, telling you id didn't have a notch and then it showed up with one. It's not a stealth notch....

Kagio

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
No they didn’t.. they’re not using a 1080p camera.. its 720p; which is the low quality everyone has been nagging Apple about for years and it is now more relevant than ever with this videoconferences being an everyday need,

Kagio

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
No they didn’t.. they’re not using a 1080p camera.. its 720p; which is the low quality everyone has been nagging Apple about for years and it is now more relevant than ever with this videoconferences being an everyday need,

Well the passionate engineers at Dell already found a solution for this problem years ago. They also have WindowsHello biometric authentication in their notchless and bezelless screen even.

Joniz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2017
I put a piece of tape over it, like I’ve done with all my other laptop cameras.

Looks no different to me!

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
I feel it mostly the fake rounded corners that make your screen appear smaller. Try disabling those.

pavvel

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2013
Seriously!?? Stop on about the notch. It’s becoming pathetic. Don’t like it? Fine don’t buy it end of. I on the other hand absolutely love my machine it’s probably the best laptop apple have ever built. I could not care less about the notch.

For real, just stop it now.

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK

I used similar on my Pixel 3XL (the daddy of all notches) - an app called Nacho Notch. It was perfect for me after that. Good to have choices. ?

julesme

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2016
San Jose

Is this Forehead? It doesn’t look half bad.

Last edited:

Time Less

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2010
Planet Earth
An app to raise the menu bar a couple of pixels higher so that it’s flushed with bottom of the notch is what we need. That’s more noticeable to me than the notch ??‍♂️

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.