Can't identify my Macs problem...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by paul1993, Sep 24, 2013.

1. paul1993 macrumors newbie

Dear forum, hi I'm new here and came here as last resort because I just don't know what to do anymore. :confused:
    I hope one of you can maybe help.

Ok, the problem is that...
    My Macbook pro is sloooow!!!

It is soooo "curse" annoying!
    I just don't know what is wrong with it.

When I try to run programs such as FL studio 11 it is slow that it freezes a bit, like missing frames... Seconds in a timer go from 1s to 4 then 7 instead of just 1, 2, 3 and 4, etc...

With Final cut Pro it's the same problem. I have filmed a Rally course in the NL at full HD with 60fps, but when I try to edit the movie parts in the program it misses frames and slows down. It is super annoying. I can't work like this...

I just don't know what the problem is.
    -When I run the activity monitor it doesn't show any huge cpu usage (FL studio only uses 10%!! :confused: )
    -I completely cleaned my mac with MacKeeper
    -Have no viruses or stuff like that.
    -I have more then 300gb free space on my HD
    -Temps don't really go up, around 80°c max, which is normal...

-I have the latest software and Mountain lion.
    -2GHz interl core I7 processor.
    -4gb 1333 MHz DDR3 Memory.

What must I do to be able to run my programs? :confused:

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Mackeeper IS a "virus".

Warning !!

You should launch Activity Monitor (Applications / Utilities) and check the use of RAM : if you have many "pages out", you lack RAM.

3. Beecker macrumors member

Beecker

You might also try and use terminal and type "purge". This will free up any memory not currently being used.

4. paul1993 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Beeker, i'll try that and see what will happen.

Also, Bruno09 I don't believe in that so called mackeeper is a virus prophecy...
    I have looked around quite a lot here and there and never have had issues with the program... It doesn't use much cpu or took ever my mac "hostage" like most people shout on the internet...

Also the only reason why I have it is because a few years have passed since 2008 and that could be enough time for someone to have created some kind of malware of virus. Call me stupid fine, but I still wouldn't shout "virus" even if you do not know the program. It never did me or anyone of my entourage anything like most people say on the internet. My guess is that most people never used it to begin with and are just "trolling".

It may be a useless program but not a virus.

5. Bruno09, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013

Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Have a look here :
    https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3036

In case you understand French :
    http://www.securitemac.com/mackeeper.html
    And how to REALLY uninstall it :
    http://www.securitemac.com/desinstaller-mackeeper.html

FYI I never "troll" on forums ;-)

Anyway, for your problem I think you should see what happens with the RAM.
    Mountain Lion needs a lot of RAM, 4 GB is probably not enough.
    On my Early 2011 MBP 4 GB RAM, I upgraded to 8, then 16 GB because I use Aperture.
    With 4 GB Aperture was barely usable.

6. paul1993 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I can read french, thx for the info.

I would comprehend to upgrade my RAM, I think I know how to do it but I was wondering, can I just plugin any new RAM in place of the old one? Or does it have to be a special model or type?

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Replacement RAM does not need to be any particular brand, but it will need to be the same size/specs as what you have now. Go to Crucial Memory here and use the scanner app they have to determine what type memory you need. Then shop around and get the best price you can on that spec. memory in the size you want.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're having performance issues, this may help:
    I highly recommend you completely uninstall MacKeeper. You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.
    These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. In fact, deleting some caches can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.
    Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance. OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.
    No it isn't. It's a useless app that can potentially cause more harm than good, but it isn't malware.

9. paul1993 thread starter macrumors newbie

On Apples own site it says mine can go to a max of 8gb of ram but your (weaselboy) site/scanner thing says i can go to 16gb, but is it really safe? Or could it be a waste of money? :confused:

oh forgot to mention, i live in europe, i dont think it would be good to let that site ship for me :I maybe too expensive.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If that Crucial scanner says 16GB will work, it will work. The issue is when some older laptops came out you could only buy 4GB chips, so two of those would top you out at 8GB. Now that 8GB chips are available, many of those older machines will work with 2X 8GB at 16GB total even though Apple original did not offer that configuration.

12. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

You can buy Crucial RAM in Europe from the UK. (I do)
    http://www.crucial.com/eu/index.aspx

When ordered from France, the RAM is shipped from the UK (received within 3-4 working days).

Shipping is FREE.

13. paul1993 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I noticed I can upgrade my ram to 16gb but I live in the Netherlands,
    Amazon doesn't ship to the netherlands almost all products (including this) :mad:

Does anyone know maybe were i can get them withouh paying loads for just shipping?

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There is nothing special about RAM for Macs. Carefully write down all the specs from that Crucial scanner run and I bet you can walk into about any electronics store in town and buy the RAM you need with no shipping at all.

15. Bruno09, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013

Bruno09 macrumors 68020

16. paul1993 thread starter macrumors newbie

17. GlendaP macrumors newbie

Speed up Macbook pro.

Below are some possible steps to speed up Mackbook:-

- Defrag your Hard Disk
    - Uninstall Junk Stuff Installed by Free Programs
    - Delete User Preferences
    - Clear your Cache
    - Disable Startup Items
    - Empty the Trash Folder Regularly

You can get instructions from this link while performing these steps:-
    http://www.backspacetab.com/speed-up-your-slow-macbook/

18. Unhyper macrumors regular

Unhyper

You've probably hosed some system files with MacKeeper. 4GB of RAM should be sufficient for the kind of use you're describing, and even if you could stand to have more of it, it doesn't bring your system to a crawl like that. I really think you should back your data up and reformat/reinstall the operating system, and this time not install MacKeeper.

19. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

20. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Music production is always heavy. I would recommend more RAM, and prehaps an SSD drive.

21. paul1993 thread starter macrumors newbie

22. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's because there are many possible causes of slow performance. I would start by addressing possible software solutions. While some have recommended upgrading RAM, it hasn't yet been established whether or not you would benefit from more RAM.

To determine if you can benefit from more RAM, launch Activity Monitor and click the System Memory tab at the bottom to check your page outs. Page outs are cumulative since your last restart, so the best way to check is to restart your computer and track page outs under your normal workload (the apps, browser pages and documents you normally would have open). If your page outs are significant (say 1GB or more) under normal use, you may benefit from more RAM. If your page outs are zero or very low during normal use, you probably won't see any performance improvement from adding RAM.

23. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

My friend, while I agree with your overall sentiments you really do need to start citing sources post-civil war. :D

24. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The facts stated are still relevant and true.

25. paul1993, Sep 25, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013

paul1993 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have 16gb of ram now... And actually made the problem worse... The laptop is really fast with most stuff. Exept fl studio and such... Screen still lags... I feel a bit of butt pain... >_<