can't install itunes 10.5 to update my iphone 4. Please Help!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jreamsnyder, Oct 13, 2011.

1. jreamsnyder macrumors member

I have a recently bought iPhone 4. I'm running itunes 9.something on a toshiba laptop windows 7 64-bit. I want to connect my new iphone to itunes so I can sync it and update to iOS 5, but when I connect is says I need the new itunes, 10.5. When I go to update, it downloads, but when installing I get the following message "itunes installer intended for 32bit version of windows download 64bit installer instead"

On apples website I tried to download itunes manually from there (the 64 bit version) and get the same result. There is a little side note towards the bottom left of the page that says "■64-bit editions of Windows Vista or Windows 7 require the iTunes 64-bit installer" and the "64-bit installer" text is a link, but only takes you to the download itunes 10.5 page, which leads back to the same problem.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? I've gone through all the apple support documents to no avail, and scoured the web and can't find any help. I can't find any way to download itunes 10.5 or the "64-bit installer" and have tried for hours. Can anyone please help?

2. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

maybe try installing through the apple software update?

3. jreamsnyder thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for response.

Yea we've definately tried that several times. Every time we try it will download the update, but when it starts to install in says its meant for the itunes 32 bit installer, we need the 64 bit installer. Same problem.

Anyone else have ideas?

4. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I assume you've uninstalled iTunes altogether (after backing up your iTunes folder elsewhere on your computer or an external drive) and reinstalled the software directly from Apple?