Can't install or boot Windows 10 from separate PCIe NVME M.2 on Mac Pro 5,1?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by AppleDrank, May 15, 2019.

1. AppleDrank macrumors newbie

AppleDrank

I have Mojave booting and running from a PCIe M.2 NVME on Mac Pro 5,1 with RX-580.

I have a second PCIe M.2 NVME, and I want to run Windows off that.

I can boot into a Windows 10 installation on an IDE drive mounted on sled 2, using Abry Franco's excellent boot manager. https://abdyfran.co/projects/boot-manager.

But it runs very slow, so I picked up a second PCIe M.2 NVME and PCIe card to host the Windows installation. To my surprise, I can't get Windows to install from the DVD -- the installer says Windows is not supported from this kind of drive. I played around with converting from Master Boot Record partition to GPR, no joy.

Next, I tried using MiniTool Partition Wizard 11 to clone the working Windows 10 drive onto the PCIe M.2 NVME.

Boot Manager sees the new Windows installation (called Bootcamp, because I installed the iMac Pro 1,1 drivers on the Windows partition using Brigadier), but I can't boot into it.

When I try, I just get a black screen that says "Insert Bootable Disk."

I'm sure I've seen someone on here say they have figured out how to make this work, but I can't seem to find directions how to make it work.

Thanks!

2. AppleDrank thread starter macrumors newbie

AppleDrank

3. MisterAndrew macrumors 65816

MisterAndrew

I don’t think that is going to work. I think it’s best to run Windows on an SSD in SATA drive bay 1.

4. AppleDrank thread starter macrumors newbie

AppleDrank

Does it matter which drive bay?

5. axrst macrumors newbie

axrst

No, just install windows in any bay's SSD. Windows does not support installation in an external drive. And nvme in pcie consider as external.

6. avatar1349 macrumors newbie

If I might make a suggestion? Why not use SuperDuper? I used it to put MacOS High Sierra from a SATAIII SSD to a NVMe 970EVO Plus SSD and made that one bootable as well. It has to be said that the NVMe 970EVO Plus is NOT the best choice, so for myself I'm looking to get a NVMe 970EVO Pro (500GB) but at least that little proggie did the job (surprisingly)
    https://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

7. Squuiid macrumors 65816

Squuiid

SM951 is considered an external drive yet I can install Windows 10 no problem. Admittedly it’s AHCI not NVMe but still.

Take out all other drives and install Windows using the DVD.

8. cococheaf macrumors demi-god

cococheaf

I had installed windows and mojave each onto a dedicated samsung 970 evo nvme drive. it worked perfectly, the only culprit was to install windows in EFI Mode, while the mojave nvme was removed during the setup. be aware that it is strongly advised to NOT install windows in EFI mode.

9. Geitekaas macrumors newbie

Geitekaas

How did you do that?
    I thought that Windows NEVER installs on a external drive? I tried it on a SSD screwed on a Accelsior PCI card. Just the card and nothing else.... tried a usb installer (did not work), dis a DVD installer, also no luck. Can you elaborate?

10. crjackson2134 macrumors 601

crjackson2134

He just kinda told you... ;)

He removed his macOS drive, then did a UEFI install of Win10 to his other Samsung 970 EVO - NVMe SSD.

11. Geitekaas macrumors newbie

Geitekaas

That, I did understand. But I did (or tried) the same. Windows did not install... SSD on PCI Acceslsior S. Install yes. Boot, nope.
    With the USB installer....

12. AppleDrank thread starter macrumors newbie

AppleDrank

I tried installing from DVD after physically removing all other storage media. It did not work.

13. avatar1349, May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019

Windows in a window.png View.png Windows Full Screen.png
    Why not using VMWare-Fusion?; With a NVMe drive as host (MacOS) there is no lag whatsoever; I've been doing that for years and I never looked back. The advantage of running VMWare-Fusion is that you can just pick an ISO and install the OS and run it full screen in the native resolution (whatever monitor you use) and no more screwing up BootRoms, because (in this case) Windows is trying or does install security certificates in the BootRom!!!! Problem Solved!!!!

14. axrst macrumors newbie

axrst

Performance in a VM is much lower than in the actual machine. If the use is MSoffice etc, it's ok, but for gaming or other demanding tasks it's not.

15. AppleDrank thread starter macrumors newbie

AppleDrank

Why is this not recommended? Thanks!

16. cococheaf macrumors demi-god

cococheaf

Installing windows in efi mode is known to populate the nvram with secureboot certificates which can corrupt the nvram, thus leading to a bricked, unbootable mac. Read the Mac Pro Bootrom Wiki thread for further details.

17. AppleDrank thread starter macrumors newbie

AppleDrank

That is what I suspected. There is another poster here who states there is no such problem with Windows 8.1. I am inclined to give this a try but bricked is a high price to pay if I am wrong. Do you regularly dual boot? Do you have a strategy for avoiding "bricked?"

18. cococheaf macrumors demi-god

cococheaf

Yep. I dual boot every evening for running my games. I have installed windows in non EFI Mode, so there will be no issues by doing so.