Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
This function does not work for me at all. Leave this Conversation is grayed out not red and not able to activate. All parties in the group I'm trying to leave are on IOS8 and using iMessage. I am also unable to delete an individual from the group text as I thought was an option as well. I have group texts on and have checked all other settings. Anyone have an answer?

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Messages are very buggy on my phone. I get group messages but can't reply to them. A separate thread just appears on its own with only one of the two names from a separate group text and when I reply to that one, both people from the original group text get that reply.

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
Did you try to restart your phone?

Yes. Several times. Also now when I receive more than 1 reply in a group text it shows as two or more unread texts and just reading the text 1 time does not clear the unread texts. I have to leave and come back to the text a second time for it to clear.

theman510

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2009
New Jersey
It's grayed out for me as well. Strange. This was a feature I was looking forward to. Hopefully it gets sorted out soon. iPhone 6 running 8.0.2

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
Yes. Several times. Also now when I receive more than 1 reply in a group text it shows as two or more unread texts and just reading the text 1 time does not clear the unread texts. I have to leave and come back to the text a second time for it to clear.

I fixed this but still cannot leave a group text. I don't need to leave group texts often and when I do it's usually with someone who is not on iMessage but I'd still like to be able to do it when I can.

belle787

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2014
I am also having this problem. I have restarted/reset/re-everything my phone dealing with a different issue, and this feature has continuously not worked. iPhone 6, 64g, running 8.0.2.

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
Did 8.0.2 disable this? It was working for me previously when I was on 8.0 on my iP6, and I upgraded to 8.0.2 this morning, and now it's greyed out for me too on an iMessage only conversation.

wolfsbane58

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2014
Meridian, ID
I'm having similar issue. I can not delete or leave a group no matter what I try. This is seriously annoying to the extreme. Apple needs to fix this mess!

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
I'm having similar issue. I can not delete or leave a group no matter what I try. This is seriously annoying to the extreme. Apple needs to fix this mess!

Just read that the group must have at least 4 members in it all on iOS8 and using iMessage. If only 3 then it would not be a group anymore so it doesn't allow you to leave breaking the group. Should have been a nice feature but really sorta pointless currently because no SMS users or android and no old older versions of iOS can be in the group or it doesn't work.

kushari

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2009
Just read that the group must have at least 4 members in it all on iOS8 and using iMessage. If only 3 then it would not be a group anymore so it doesn't allow you to leave breaking the group. Should have been a nice feature but really sorta pointless currently because no SMS users or android and no old older versions of iOS can be in the group or it doesn't work.

No that's not true. A group is anything more than 2. The real cause that I was reading online is that all participants must be on iOS8 for the leave conversation button to be enabled. I'm in a conversation now and can't leave it and I know one of the people is on iOS 7. So I can't leave it.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
No that's not true. A group is anything more than 2. The real cause that I was reading online is that all participants must be on iOS8 for the leave conversation button to be enabled. I'm in a conversation now and can't leave it and I know one of the people is on iOS 7. So I can't leave it.

Yep it is true https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202724

"If the group message is using iMessage and has more than three participants, you can leave the conversation. Tap Details. Then tap Leave this Conversation.

Leave conversation

Leave this Conversation might not be available if there are only three people in the group iMessage or if the group message uses MMS."

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Oh, weird, well that's stupid. I want to leave a group chat that has 3 people total.
As stated. I believe the reason is if there are only 3 and 1 leaves its no longer a group but a regular conversation. ????? I guess the best way to manage it is to DND yourself in that group.

kushari

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2009
As stated. I believe the reason is if there are only 3 and 1 leaves its no longer a group but a regular conversation. ????? I guess the best way to manage it is to DND yourself in that group.
Look at the comments here: http://osxdaily.com/2014/09/23/leave-group-message-chat-ios/

I think even though the apple support page you linked to is updated in feb 2015, it hasn't included that tidbit of information. I'll see if my friend upgrades to ios 8 if it can be done afterwars.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.