Can't make up my mind!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by geraldem, Dec 20, 2015.

1. geraldem macrumors regular

Ok, so I bought the IPP a couple of weeks ago. Got the Logitech Create keyboard...and the Apple Smartkeyboard. Loved the Create, but heavy. Got used to the Apple keyboard, light, but not crazy about it.

So I saw the Best Buy sale on the rMB for 999.00. So I did a return and exchange. Really like the rMB, but i really miss the IPP. miss the larger screen and honestly some of the apps i was running on it.

Not sure I need both ...but wow these are two very different products and I think my needs fit right between them. Oh well, 1st world problem, but was wondering if anyone else felt the same way?

2. cynics macrumors G3

At 999 I'd take OS X over iOS all day long.

Which apps are holding up your decision?

3. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

Have both. For my purposes, i like iOS much better than OS X for a lot of things.

4. cynics macrumors G3

_ok_.... I was kind of referring to the OP and his dilemma.

5. David58117 macrumors 65816

I have the 12" , had the iPad pro and pencil but returned..but kind of am thinking of buying one again.

The screen and PDFs were nice,,but having it as a tablet was a bit nice.

However - having two portable devices was annoying, and the rMB trumps the iPad pro in my book as a one device solution.

6. geraldem thread starter macrumors regular

it really comes down to a couple things. First the apps. mostly the apps in question are home monitor apps that work great on iOS, but flaky with a browsers (dlink, samsung..etc). also home automation apps that work great off IPP.

Second, the battery on the IPP is far better. that is really nice compared to the 7 hr rMB. It is not a deal breaker though.

Honestly i think the biggest though is the screen size. the IPP display is really nice :) But love the lightness and portability of the rMB. so that is why i am so torn. would love a in between option. lol

7. geraldem thread starter macrumors regular

You sound like you are in the same exact place that my head is at?

8. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

Yeah and i was commenting on your comment showing that OS X isn't the be all end all of all os's like some on here are to believe. The notion seems to be that iOS is a kiddie or toy os while OS X is "where the real work gets done" when its not as simple as that.

I have both the retina macbook and the iPad pro and greatly prefer my iPad pro for most tasks. But that's just me. I can see why someone might be in a difficult position trying to decide which they like more, but for me personally...the simplicity of iOS and the wealth of apps trump the flexibility of OS X.

9. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

OP: I went through the exact same thing and now selling my retina macbook and buying a mac mini for home and using my iPad pro when i'm on the go. If i need to do something more than iOS allows when i'm out, i simply remote into my desktop through my iPad and voila. It's like an OS X tablet in some ways

A lot of it just depends on your uses and how much you might need one thing or another. If you need access to websites all the time that aren't good on an iPad, or need to use special software that's only on OS X or need the laptop form factor and don't mind always having the keyboard attached to the device you're using, go macbook. Otherwise for everything else, iPad all the way

10. cynics macrumors G3

Huh? I just said at that price I'd take OS X. Sorry if that's a trigger word for you. Please ignore my post.

11. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

Who said it was triggering? I was commenting my own opinion. Geez. That's what these forums are for right?

12. cynics macrumors G3

Do you have any other Apple devices?

I completely agree most home automation apps are better then that web based counter parts. Generally I personally prefer using them on the iPhone though. iPad seems like overkill to me.

To me it sounds like you regret the decision of returning the iPad. I would like at the pros of each device overall and see if they are useful for your usage. Touchscreen vs keyboard/trackpad, compare apps and programs, the os's themselves and what they offer (for example time machine vs iCloud backup and dumb down version of apps like iMovie), etc etc.

13. geraldem thread starter macrumors regular

Great comments and approach. Definitely need to weigh those things. I do think I am regretting returning the IPP. Not to mention I have a SurfaceBook that i bought for more of the "work" stuff, so thinking it makes sense to pay a visit to apple and rewind the clock :)

14. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Despite Tim Cook's words, I still think the iPad can't replace a laptop for me, not even the iPad Pro.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not for nothing, I was at my local apple store over the weekend, and my kids absolutely loved the iPad Pro. They were willing to give up getting an iPhone if they could get one of these bad boys. I'm happy with my Surface Pro and I don't have a use case that fits the IPP at the moment. My point is that I think the IPP is nice product, I was impressed with it, but if you don't have a stated need that this can resolve why buy it?

16. geraldem thread starter macrumors regular

Totally agree. But it can replace my laptop for certain things and use cases. For me it is for couch time...and light travel use. So the choice becomes rMB vs IPP for those use cases. or, just get both and call it a day LOL

17. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Sure, it replace my laptop for some things, especially during light travel use (when I need to stay as light as I can).

18. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

It's just going to depend on the individual and his use, which makes sense.

I tried the iPad Pro, and I tried a Brydge Keyboard on my Air 2....

And for me, a MacBook Pro 13" out of the Refurb Store beat both of the other options, and that is what I did for field use.

Got rid of the iPad Pro, selling the Air 2 keyboard, but keeping the Air 2 for occasional light use around the house.

But for in the field work, the Macbook Pro beats the other two options, especially when price/horsepower ratio is considered.

:)

That's just me, of course. It's an individual preference.

19. Phonzoxd macrumors 6502

Ipad Pro can replace my Laptop, but that's only if I can keep my beefy Desktop. Otherwise its a no-go.

For people that had a Laptop as their main computer, then I would imagine for 95% of those folks, it won't fully be a replacement.

20. geraldem thread starter macrumors regular

Personally I don't think it can replace a laptop or desktop PC...etc. you still need those for more high end work. but for replacement for certain workloads, absolutely. light email, browsing, light photo editing..etc. great device!

21. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I don't have any desktop, if you don't take into consideration an old 2009 Mini. My primary computer is a MacBook Pro

22. David58117 macrumors 65816

..I rebought the iPad Pro...

I found an open box nearby for like $735, which was a bit easier to swallow than $799. Looks new, cables were wrapped, and it even had the protective plastic on. I missed the screen, it was perfect for sheet music, and handled large PDFs very well.

Illl be selling an SP3 and mba 11", and keeping the 12" rMB, iPad Pro, and my quad core Mac mini..

23. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

A good setup

24. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Well stated. I also played with one at my local store and its nice and everything but Im fine with the 10" ipad Air I have now. I feel the iPP is a little overpriced for what you get.

25. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

sadly, here in Europe every Apple's product is a little overpriced ... :(