Can't open Flash player files in OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by blasto2236, Aug 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. blasto2236 macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone!

Hoping someone can help out here. I am doing some slide presentations using Flash Player (I know, but it has to be this way). Previously, I would extract the file from a zip on to my desktop and it would just open the presentation. Ever since 10.10, I have been receiving the error shown in my attachment.

Last year I had this same issue, and managed to find a workaround that involved on right clicking the file, choosing "Show Package Contents" and then copy/pasting something from inside the file somewhere else.

Try as I might, I have been unable to find these workaround instructions again and I am running low on time. Hoping someone in here might have encountered the same issue and be able to offer some help.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Control click the item and then click open

3. blasto2236 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Still doesn't work. This is a very particular issue. I know I had the workaround at one point, involving copying and pasting package contents. Just not sure what/where.

4. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Try Open With, and open it in Safari.

Is it some kind of compressed EXE with a flash file embedded inside?

5. blasto2236, Aug 8, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2016

blasto2236 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It is a .app file that is a flash "package" if that makes sense. It is a .app file that basically acts as a folder containing all of our slides. Last year I had this same issue and was able to circumvent it by opening Package Contents and copying/pasting something. Just not sure what.

Edited to add: Can't be opened in Safari or with other 3rd party flash player apps. The file won't open in other programs because it's a .app. It acts as a folder/app and will not be opened in other programs.

Attached Files:

6. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

In that case try to go to System Preferences --> Security --> Click the lock in the bottom corner and input your password --> Set Allow apps to be installed from everywhere --> Try to open the Flash app again.

Gav2k's should essentially do the same, but try it anyway.