Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lepton

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2002
Cold Spring Harbor, NY
This is an issue with the main page, macrumors.com. Stories appear there with an option to rate positive/negative, IF you are logged in. But the page does not have a link to log in, and it does not automatically remember your login and log you in, as the forum pages do. So if you enter the site at the main page you have no way to rate the stories there. You have to go to the forums tab, which then auto logs you in (or you can manually log in from there) and then return to the main page which now gives you the option for rating stories.

I didn't figure this out for a long time. I couldn't see how people were ever able to rate the stories!

So I suggest this change - let the main page autolog you in as the forum pages do, and/or put a link for logging in on the main page.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
SilentPanda said:
I suggest we remove the ratings alltogether because... as far as I've been able to tell nobody really knows what they mean anyway... :)

agree. and they aren't of any use. some stories get negative ratings for almost no reason. and i just don't see a point, and i don't think many people pay that much attention to the positive/negative counts anyways, but i could be wrong.

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
SilentPanda said:
I suggest we remove the ratings alltogether because... as far as I've been able to tell nobody really knows what they mean anyway... :)
Yeah, that's right. I just ignore them normally.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

Lepton

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2002
Cold Spring Harbor, NY
arn said:
Actually, there is always a link to rate the stories from the Front Page. But not from individual pages.
arn

No, the links are only there if you are logged in. And not if you aren't logged in. And you aren't auto-logged in if you go to that page. You are only auto logged in if you go to the forums.

Experiment: Mac + Safari. Logout of Forums. Quit Safari. Start Safari. Go to http://www.macrumors.com. You can't rate stories. Hit the Forums tab. You are auto logged in. Hit the MacRumors tab. You can now rate stories.

(time passes)

Wait a minit, this experiment fails even for me right now. But I'm telling you, every day, I come to the macrumors.com page and I can't rate. Been that way the whole time I've been here. Not till I go to the Forums page and back to the macrumors page... Except for now when I'm trying to reproduce the error. Waah! _Someone_ else must be seeing this!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.