Can't reinstall Mavericks

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by badigel, Apr 25, 2014.

1. badigel macrumors newbie

Hi,

My Macbook pro won't boot, it will not go past the apple logo.

I'm trying to boot into recovery and reinstall the os, but I get an error saying I am not connect to the internet, although I am connect via wifi to my home network(I also tried connecting via ethernet).

Any ideas why?

Also, is there a way to access files from the recovery? I have few mb's of important files that I did not have time to backup.

Thanks

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

To recover your data, you can connect your broken MBP to another working Mac over FireWire or Thunderbolt over Target Disk Mode.

3. badigel thread starter macrumors newbie

Really? Is there no simpler way with a usb stick or else?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Going into the recovery partition doesn't work (holding down the cmd-r keys)?

5. badigel thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry I wasn't clear on that, but I do get to the recovery screen where I can choose:
    1. Time machine
    2. Reinstall os x
    3. Online help
    4. Disk utility

When I choose option 2, I can a massage no internet

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Do you have another computer or device that can connect to your network and access the internet?

Did you try rebooting the cable modem/DSL router and router just in case you are having connectivity issues?

If its not getting past the logo on booting up normally, and its not connecting to the internet, you may be having some sort of hardware issue? If you've confirmed the network is problem free, the only option I can think of is calling apple and/or having a genius examine/repair the computer.

7. badigel thread starter macrumors newbie

The internet is working well on other computers.

I do have other pc's connected.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So it seems that something is wrong with your computer since it won't boot up and it won't connect to the internet. :(

9. badigel thread starter macrumors newbie

Can I backup files without FireWire?

If not, which FireWire cable do I need?

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

From that screen launch Disk Util and go to the Restore tab. Then select Macintosh HD as the source and an external USB drive as the destination and click Restore in the lower right. This will clone your internal drive to the external, assuming the data can be read from the internal.

11. badigel thread starter macrumors newbie

Do I need an empty drive or will it copy to a folder I specify?

12. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Nope. The only way to recover your data is:
    1. Extract the internal drive and put it in a USB3 enclosure.
    2. Buy a FireWire or Thunderbolt cable (depending on your Mac) and connect it to another Mac via Target Disk Mode.

You can try installing using a bootable Mavericks USB, but you must have a working Mac to make that USB.

13. badigel thread starter macrumors newbie

Can't understand why apple won't allow to have simple access to the files via usb :(
    So the simplest is to get a FireWire to FireWire cable and a friend with another Mac?

14. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Or a TB to TB cable.

The problem is you can't do that with any computer in the world either. In order to have access to the files, you must first have a full-fledged OS.

So since you can't boot into a full fledged OS on your MBP (Note: Recovery isn't a full fledged OS. It just has enough tools for you to recover data), you need another Mac to access it.

15. badigel thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys.

Bottom line, when I'll get the cable and the working Mac, connecting the cables is enough or do I need some kind of software?

16. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Connecting the cables is enough. Then put the broken Mac into TDM by holding down T during startup.

17. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It won't go in a folder, but you could make a separate partition on an external drive and clone it there if you don't want to use up the entire drive.

If you already have an external USB drive, this will do the trick for you without having to buy any cables.

Now once the disk is cloned, if the data will be readable from the disk is another matter. However, if you can't read the data after this clone, you likely would not be able to read it using target disk mode either.

18. badigel thread starter macrumors newbie

One last question, is it possible to install a new operating system on this mac while keeping all the files intact?

19. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Yes, as long as you don't erase the drive during installation.

20. badigel thread starter macrumors newbie

If Mavericks is installed now, can I install Lion/Mountain instead as the new OS X?

Also, the option to keep everything is clear while I install the new OS?

P.S. Can I create a bootable OS X via Windows?

21. yjchua95 macrumors 604

If you want to downgrade the OS, it's not possible unless you're willing to erase the entire drive. Upgrading or installing the current version of the OS will maintain data.

No, you can't create a bootable OS X disk from Windows.

22. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes you can with Transmac. This will not work with Mavericks, but will with previous OS X versions.

23. badigel thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I finally made a bootable mavericks, and reinstalled the os on my macbook. Where can I find all my previous files?
    In finder-> all my files, there's nothing.

24. janitor3 macrumors regular

If you have a time machine backup, you can use migration assistant in the utilities section to put your data back.

25. badigel thread starter macrumors newbie

But i don't need the time machine backup, it's from 2 months ago. I want to recuperate the files that were on the internal hd.