Can't reinstall tiger/trying to solve kernal panic

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by brobson, Feb 8, 2009.

1. brobson macrumors 6502

brobson

I've written recently about my kernal panics on my iMac g5

I reinstalled the original software and moved on to Tiger and it says "cannot install this on this computer" I have installed it before, it is my software bought free and clear. I don't know what to do. My son's college papers are due and we cannot get on the sites because our flash/etc. is not updated.

I cannot figure out what to do, please help. I am now at 10.3.9
    (I go to "about this mac", more info, and my system overview app will bounce on my tool bar and not come up.)
    I dont know what's going on. My hardware tests all came out clean.

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

If you re-installed the original software and still get kernel panics, then this is most likely a hardware problem. You can try the following, if these don't help then it is most likely a hardware problem:

Re-boot and hold Command + Option/Alt + letter P + letter R pressed on the keyboard while booting. This will reset the "Parameter RAM" which might have caused problems; on the other hand, it could be completely innocent.

Re-boot. Press down the Shift key immediately after the startup tone and release when the spinning progress indicator appears. This starts the computer in "Safe Mode". See if you have kernel panics then.

If you still have kernel panics, it is quite likely that there is a hardware problem. Most likely candidates for kernel panics are hard drive and memory (there are many other possible problems, but most would not cause kernel panics). If you recently added new memory, remove it. To check if it is the hard drive: Reboot with the Installer DVD in the DVD drive, hold the C key while re-booting. This will boot from the Installer DVD. So if it is your hard drive creating the problems, the problems should go away. From the installer, you can start Disk Utility and check your hard drive. This might show errors.

If the hard drive is not the problem, have the Mac repaired. If the hard drive is the problem, to get you up and running quickly: Buy an external drive with Firewire connector (you should have an external drive for backups anyway, so this is a good investment). Plug it in, turn it on, put in the installer DVD as above. Then you can install MacOS X on the external drive. Then reboot, go to "System Preferences", "Startup Disk", and change the startup disk to your external drive. If the problem was the hard drive, this would fix it. You would eventually want to replace the internal drive with a good one, but that is not urgent.

3. brobson thread starter macrumors 6502

brobson

Thanks so much for that answer.
    I am confused though. I attach the firewire and dropped the cd when it appears on the screen into my hard drive's file. I tried to install from there and I get the same Cannot install this software on this machine". What am I doing wrong? How do I start up the software from the external hard drive?
    I am not clear on how to do that.