Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iDiogo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2012
I restored my iphone to version 5.0.1, after that I tried to unlock it by installing the iPad baseband ...my iphone crashed and I restored again, and at the end of the restoration iTunes gave an error (-1), I turn it on and it asked to choose the language, then the country, and asked to activate the service location I chose yes, and after that he asked to connect to itunes, I connect it and he turned off automatically
wireless and bluetooth does not work, and does not detect SIM card
after i jailbreak it to skip activation,i open settings to see what was the firmware, and he havent firmware.

is that fixable? i need help :(

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
if the iPad baseband is installed your ****ED youll need to create a custom firmware,NEVER install the iPad baseband unless you know what it means and what it can do you can never update with stock firmware and your GPS will be very buggy if it works at all,if you need any help pm me

iDiogo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2012
if the iPad baseband is installed your ****ED youll need to create a custom firmware,NEVER install the iPad baseband unless you know what it means and what it can do you can never update with stock firmware and your GPS will be very buggy if it works at all,if you need any help pm me

ok, thanks! :) i will try with a custom ipsw, if i need your help i pm you...

miragebg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2009
The bootrom is locked, you cannot change it.

It is the most known way of bricking your phone- update to 5.0.1 and flashing 6.15 baseband. This screws the phone very bad.

iDiogo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2012
The bootrom is locked, you cannot change it.

It is the most known way of bricking your phone- update to 5.0.1 and flashing 6.15 baseband. This screws the phone very bad.

help me please, i cant lost my iphone :(

saud0488

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
Its done, you should have never tried installing the ipad bb.
Sounds like its a newer 3GS that the updated the baseband and dont allow the installation of the ipad bb.
You fried the radios.

I've done dozens of these and I've only ever bricked like two. this was mostly cause I used the wrong version of redsnow. Stupid, I know. If it's one of the newer ones and the iPad bb was never there even though you tried flashing, simply put it in DFU mode and do a regular restore from itunes.

Also, if it is a newer 3gs, take it back to the apple store and they will replace it. Just DON'T say that you tried flashing the baseband.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I've done dozens of these and I've only ever bricked like two. this was mostly cause I used the wrong version of redsnow. Stupid, I know. If it's one of the newer ones and the iPad bb was never there even though you tried flashing, simply put it in DFU mode and do a regular restore from itunes.

Also, if it is a newer 3gs, take it back to the apple store and they will replace it. Just DON'T say that you tried flashing the baseband.

Yeah if it was that easy.
They know at the Apple store when they plug it in for diagnostics and won't replace it for free.
Worth a try though.

saud0488

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
Yeah if it was that easy.
They know at the Apple store when they plug it in for diagnostics and won't replace it for free.
Worth a try though.

It is that easy. I've done it twice to those two phones I accidentally bricked and once for a friend. Just make something up on how it got to that state. Their diagnostics only tells them stuff like call times and how many calls are dropped. Also battery info, and some other stuff. If there's no functioning OS on there, there is no way for them to get the diagnostics. Heck, they can't even see the serial number and they have to read it off the SIM tray.

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
In the past knuckleheads would put the phone in the microwave/oven. If it doesn't turn on you can't diagnose it right?

Tokes Green

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2011
Here, there, and everywhere.
In the past knuckleheads would put the phone in the microwave/oven. If it doesn't turn on you can't diagnose it right?

I have heard of that, bit overkill though isn't it! Surely you could just short the charging point?
Not that I agree with it, but I guess if there is no other option.

At least OP will know for next time - research, research, then research some more!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
It is that easy. I've done it twice to those two phones I accidentally bricked and once for a friend. Just make something up on how it got to that state. Their diagnostics only tells them stuff like call times and how many calls are dropped. Also battery info, and some other stuff. If there's no functioning OS on there, there is no way for them to get the diagnostics. Heck, they can't even see the serial number and they have to read it off the SIM tray.

What if it does turn on but theres no wifi, BT or baseband info.
They will know unless it cannot turn on at all but that's not the case with the OP at the moment.

saud0488

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
What if it does turn on but theres no wifi, BT or baseband info.
They will know unless it cannot turn on at all but that's not the case with the OP at the moment.

Easy, in this case you just do a restore to the current firmware. When you do this you'll just get the restore loop and the only way it'll function is if you restore to 4.1. You take it to the Apple store, put on your best sad face, and let them try to restore, which it won't. At this point they decide to give you a replacement if it's under warranty.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Easy, in this case you just do a restore to the current firmware. When you do this you'll just get the restore loop and the only way it'll function is if you restore to 4.1. You take it to the Apple store, put on your best sad face, and let them try to restore, which it won't. At this point they decide to give you a replacement if it's under warranty.

Good to know how to pull it off I guess:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.