Can't see iPad screen with sunglasses on

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
My sunglasses are polarized which makes it hard to see the screen when I'm outside unless I hold my head at a strange angle. Besides getting a spare pair of non-polarized glasses, is there any other solution? A screen protector etc?

What is the difference in the screen on the iPad vs my iPhone... My iPhone does not suffer the same issue.

qCzar

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
SFBA, CA
My sunglasses are polarized which makes it hard to see the screen when I'm outside unless I hold my head at a strange angle. Besides getting a spare pair of non-polarized glasses, is there any other solution? A screen protector etc?

What is the difference in the screen on the iPad vs my iPhone... My iPhone does not suffer the same issue.
A screen protector will not change the polarity of the screen. Unfortunately, you're better off getting a second pair of sunglasses.

CuppyCake

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2010
Washington, DC
Same problem

I have polarized prescription lens. I turn up the brightness. It worked well on the beach in Aruba. Just remember to turn the light down later to save on the battery.

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
Yeah this happens to me as well. I'll try landscape mode next time but I could have sworn I tried that already.

mikepro

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
A screen protector can in fact fix this. Try the Power support anti glare film. I had that one on my old phone, and I believe it did not maintain the screens polarization.

hjscm

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2009
tilting to landscape should help. sunglasses only let vertical light pass thru. if you title your head you can see better to but looks strange. the polarized glasses are to reduce glare off of horizontal surfaces like a lake.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.