Can't seem to see difference between ipad 2 & new ipad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Maortiz10, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Maortiz10 macrumors newbie

I was at the apple store today playing with the New ipad, but I couldnt see any difference on the screen. I even ask the apple employee if this was really the New ipad. I have the Ipad 2 32GB white. Honestly I will stick with it for till next years new ipad come out. As long as you guys keep storage below 75% the ipad 2 will still be fast enough.
    What you guys think, who feels same as I do or not?

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I got the Wi-Fi one so the only thing that benefit for me was the new screen resolution but it really is terrific compared to the old one especially when you try to watch HD movies. Speed and everything else seems about equal to the 2. Dictation is kind of cool, and I'm using it to enter this post :)

3. mac jones macrumors 68040

Many things are going to look the same. This is very good, as the 'drastic' increase in resolution, historically, could cause things to be too small, or out of whack in general. The fact they look the same means they have worked to make it so.

In order to see the difference, just take it slow. You will find it.

A lot of people are saying the same thing. This is good

4. irDigital0l Guest

I felt the same way. Went to Best Buy today and they had 4 iPads (2 blacks and 2 whites). 1 of them was actually the new iPad and the others were the iPad 2.

They still had the iPad 2 sign up so I assumed they were still all iPad 2s. The first iPad I looked at (which was the new one) I thought the screen looked better. When I compared the new iPad and iPad 3, I noticed the difference. Also when you go type something the dictation icon is available.

I noticed the camera was different, but pretty much its exactly the same.

I decided to watch from the sideline and it was pretty funny how people would keep on asking the Best Buy guy which one was the retina display one.

Also I hated how Best Buy had really bad demo apps...most of them weren't even optimized for the retina display.

5. ABadSanta macrumors regular

6. djmodifyd macrumors regular

i was just using my new ipad for a few hours.

I just picked up my macbook to check something out...and realized that my screen looks like crap compared to the new ipad

the difference truly is amazing

7. hsotnicam8002 macrumors 6502

hsotnicam8002

My wife and I often sit side by side, her with a new iPad 2 and me with my new ipad new (LOL!). I keep glancing over and honestly think the difference for most uses is marginal. My wife doesn't know that mine is the new iPad and hasn't mentioned anything about differences. I moved up from an iPad 1, probably as I was carried along with the hype. I don't think it offers me much extra. (I also have an iPhone 4s so I'm used to the retina display).

I used the iPad 1 for most activities, even iMovie (which you can get on to the iPad 1 using the config trick). The only thing I don't do is play games. Maybe that's where the advantages come with the new iPad.

All in all, they are all fantastic machines but I hope that something really amazing comes in the next version. Oh, BTW, I think they are all too heavy, especially when used for a lot of reading. (And they're all too slippy when used without a case but of course cases cover the snazzy design).

8. epi117 macrumors 6502

When i upgraded to new ipad i restored from my latest backup. I had some hd vids i had downloaded from youtube "epica" HD.

Night and day the difference in new ipad with same video, i mean simply a huge increase in quality.

9. redman042 macrumors 68020

Um, okay then. For me, the difference is like going from a 1980's era dot matrix printer to a modern laser printer. But if some folks don't see the difference, then you get to save some money and be happy with an iPad 2.

10. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Agree.

A few nights ago, I ran the battery down to zero on my new iPad and to charge it overnight to calibrate the battery. Since I use my iPad to read books with the Kindle app, I borrowed my wife's iPad 2 to read on that night. It really was noticeable how grainy and large the pixels were on it - it was shocking to me as I never really noticed that before when using the older iPad. I would have a tough time going back as I am spoiled by the screen now

11. macbook123 macrumors 68000

It's amazing how different we all are. I couldn't use the old display for more than a few minutes without getting eye-strain and annoyance from the blotchiness of fonts.

The new display is a breakthrough feature. I just have to find a way to shoehorn it into my Macbook Air.

12. ano0oj macrumors 6502

I completely agree...the upgrade really isn't worth it coming from a 2. But this is my tablet has been great to me so far

13. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

After 15 minutes of usage, touch both ipads and you will notice a significant difference in temperature.

14. mikeo1069 macrumors member

First week of using the new iPad I really wasn't impressed with the new screen. A week later going back on an ipad2, everything looks fuzzy.

On the others hand, moving from iPhone 3 to 4 was an drastic improvement immediately.

15. WalledMacGarden macrumors regular

It's hard to think people can't tell the difference, but many don't. Photos and art apps are just crazy good, it's like your really painting, and thumbnail pictures in iPhoto or the photo app are so detailed and crispy! When looking at a real sharp photo, it looks just like a glossy 8x10, the color saturation is so much better.

I actually took a few pictures of a dollar and some change on a table made sure it was to scale and absolutely looked perfect. I Placed the ipad down on the same table and showed to people not really up on technology. I told them the new iPad could be translucent, even gave them a magnifier, and they looked and for a moment thought they were looking through glass... seriously the screen is just that crazy good.

But when showed both iPad 2 and the new one side by side, I had to point out the detail, which amazed me, but then again some of these are the same people who still watch TV on the none high def channels even though they get the high def ones and have a high def TV!

But I understand now, it's mostly that they really don't care, even after they know. And maybe I care a little too much about these things.

16. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

17. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

lol

18. davedvdy macrumors regular

This topic always surprises me. I notice the difference without even having both side to side. Text is much sharper, the colors are more vibrant, even that app store bottom menu with the icons is a lot clearer.

19. davenz macrumors regular

My new iPad has ruined my MacBook for me... It will never look the same again.

20. doboy macrumors 68000

Maybe people who can't tell the difference are looking at non-retina apps or they really need reading glasses. :rolleyes:

21. iEvolution macrumors 65816

22. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

I don't even own one yet, but the high-res Flickr comparison pics are night and day. I smell a troll.

23. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

A buddy of mine works at Bestbuy. He always tells me the average joes they hire for mobile and tablet sales. He pretty much says depending on the intuitive of the worker is how far a demo or a device is presented. He says iPad 2 sales are actually up right now (Philadelphia area). People 'save' money and they still get a great browsing device.

24. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

1, if you can't see the difference in the screens, you should go and get your eyes tested.

2, the difference between the new iPad and iPad 2 will continue to grow as apps are developed with the new iPad in mind.

3, what are you talking about keeping it under 75% full to keep up performance?! This isn't a PC running windows 95, fill your iPad up as much as you want! :)