Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
fair point, although from OP's posts he's not exactly rushing to help sort it is he? if he knows the password it's not difficult to fix. why stall?

Not totally sure what's the hesitation to fix. But I'll just feel hopeful that the buyer is still communicating with OP. Perhaps, the buyer is busy... Has matters he have to take care of. Perhaps, he's not feeling well. Maybe... He had a serious situation... Who knows? But if the buyer no longer responds... Then yeah... OP should be worried.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
So back to my question... how do you avoid this situation when buying used. I've sold several Apple items over the years and forgotten to take them off of iCloud until much later but never had anyone report a problem. Maybe the watch is different because of need to protect from theft. I would think there is a way to make sure when buying, short of making them sit there while you completely pair it and get it working.

Just thinking about this more... would it make sense to have them log into their iCloud account while standing there to make sure its been removed? Depending on the tech savvy of the seller, this might be difficult to get them to do.

At this point. Pair the Apple Watch with your iPhone before leaving. Now, with the Activation Lock... Have to be caution and not just go by the Language Selection. You'll have to go through the entire set up, it might take awhile though.

Before Activation Lock... It wasn't a big deal exchanging hands. Now, it's different. Can't take any shortcuts. Gotta go the distance!

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
The seller is still communicating with him. If someone was to do what your suggestion... They wouldn't even bother responding to the buyer. Buyer has the money no need to communicate anymore.

Is he? The OP wrote "Not currently getting any responses from the guy. I'll keep trying."

Not sure what the OP means when he later wrote the seller is on/off again trying to help. The solution isn't that difficult.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Is he? The OP wrote "Not currently getting any responses from the guy. I'll keep trying."

Last thing OP mention was the buyer is off/on again... The responses are sporadic I guess. But the buyer is communicating... It would be easier to find away to meet up with the buyer. I know if I paid 500, I'll find some kind of way to meet.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Last thing OP mention was the buyer is off/on again... The responses are sporadic I guess. But the buyer is communicating... It would be easier to find away to meet up with the buyer. I know if I paid 500, I'll find some kind of way to meet.

Not sure what the hang up is then. The aforementioned solution is quite simple and doesn't require meeting up.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Not sure what the hang up is then. The aforementioned solution is quite simple and doesn't require meeting up.

hence my gut feeling he's tried to pass on his problem (hopeful that the next buyer knew what to do? perhaps he's not at all tech savvy rather than a con man) and gotten caught out

myrtledog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2015
I spoke again to the seller of the watch. He's gone thru and checked everything that's been suggested by Apple Care as well as the info I've provided to him from this thread (thanks Night Spring) and he's been sending me screen grabs from what he's seeing on his end.
It appears that there are no traces of the watch left in his Apple Account, iCloud account etc... He as anxious to get to the bottom of this as I am.
I spoke with Apple Care on Saturday and they seemed to be very interested in the details and asked that I call them back with an update. The buyer would like to have a conference call with AC and me. So of course I've left 3 voice mails for AC and so far no return call.
I'm pretty confident this will get fixed but its painful jumping though all the hoops...

myrtledog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2015
By the way, on the page that Night Spring linked to it said this:

If you can't access your iPhone or Apple Watch, or if your Apple Watch isn't paired with your iPhone and you need to turn off Activation Lock:
  1. On a computer, go to iCloud.com.
  2. Sign in with your Apple ID, and open Settings.
  3. Under My Devices, click your Apple Watch.
  4. Click
    icloud-site-remove-icon.png
    next to your device.
  5. Click Remove to confirm.

The seller has tried this and the watch simply isn't listed as one of his devices. It only shows his two iPhones... He's sent me a screen grab of what he is seeing...

Somehow it looks more and more like this might be an Apple problem.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Bought a slightly used watch from Craig's List this morning. Watch is mint and that's good.
However once I got it home and attempted to set it up I've hit a wall...

It will let me pair it, go thru the legal warnings and to a screen that says i need to enter the iCloud ID but apparently the previous owners ID is still in there so I can not go any further.

The seller has basically stopped returning my texts to get this fixed. Basically says it's my problem.

The Apple Store says he still has the "activation lock" active to his phone and that it's security against thief etc.

So - Anybody know how to force the watch to wipe everything so I can use this $500 paperweight? I've done all the resets with no success...
Edit: I think the only way to remove the activation lock, (if the iCloud thing doesn't work), is to have the buyer enter his iCloud password directly on the Watch. Sounds stupid but this seems to be the last resort.

If this still doesn't work, hmm... I'm guessing the Watch didn't belong to the seller.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ulenspiegel

myrtledog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2015
The seller has called me a couple of times today to try and resolve this. He even called Apple Care to look at his account to see what the issue was and they don't even show the watch associated with his account any longer.
He's offered my money back... Id rather resolve this as I really want the watch. We will see what tomorrow brings...

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
The seller has called me a couple of times today to try and resolve this. He even called Apple Care to look at his account to see what the issue was and they don't even show the watch associated with his account any longer.
He's offered my money back... Id rather resolve this as I really want the watch. We will see what tomorrow brings...

if he's willing to give you your money back, he must be willing to meet.

why not just meet up and have him remove the activation lock there and then? and if it doesn't work, take your money and run.

myrtledog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2015
Yeah. If we can't solve it tomorrow with Apple Care we will meet on Wednesday...

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
I would suggest that you meet at an Apple Store if at all possible. Make an appointment with a Genius at the meeting time. This would avoid having to meet again if something still isn't working.

Reactions: melman101

naasrd

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
How do you check for this when buying a used watch, short if trying to pair it? I'm thinking of buying one and don't want this to happen.

I bought one in Dublin yesterday, in my excitement I forgot to ask if it was iCloud locked, when I got home I discovered it was. I called the guy, he came to my house an unpaired it from his phone. So, it looks like that's the best bet when buying second hand; have the buyer unpair it from their iPhone while you wait, or show you in the app settings that it's not paired.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

There's a potentially simpler solution. Have him change his iCloud password, which will dissociate all associated devices.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
I bought one in Dublin yesterday, in my excitement I forgot to ask if it was iCloud locked, when I got home I discovered it was. I called the guy, he came to my house an unpaired it from his phone. So, it looks like that's the best bet when buying second hand; have the buyer unpair it from their iPhone while you wait, or show you in the app settings that it's not paired.

Read back through the hold thread. Unpairing it doesn't solve the problem. I believe it was unpaired. It needs to be removed from the sellers iCloud account and that's not something most people are going to probably even know they need to do unless they have some tech savvy. I didn't know it until this thread.

myrtledog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2015
Read back through the hold thread. Unpairing it doesn't solve the problem. I believe it was unpaired. It needs to be removed from the sellers iCloud account and that's not something most people are going to probably even know they need to do unless they have some tech savvy. I didn't know it until this thread.

Yes. It has been unpaired and yes the seller has gone into his icloud account and the watch doesn't even show there.
He's also tried changing his icloud password as Jay suggested above...no success.

Have been into the Apple Store several times and they don't know what's going on...

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

If I understood Apple's webpage at the link I posted correctly, unpairing the watch should remove activation lock. I think the problem may be that people are resetting the watch without unpairing first.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Yes. It has been unpaired and yes the seller has gone into his icloud account and the watch doesn't even show there.
He's also tried changing his icloud password as Jay suggested above...no success.

Have been into the Apple Store several times and they don't know what's going on...

Really? If true that is a major bug!

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008

i'm starting to wonder how the apple watch is supposed to find out that activation lock has been removed, given after unpairing it it no longer has access to any kind of network?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
i'm starting to wonder how the apple watch is supposed to find out that activation lock has been removed, given after unpairing it it no longer has access to any kind of network?

Well, OP says the watch does pair:
It will let me pair it, go thru the legal warnings and to a screen that says i need to enter the iCloud ID

So it pairs, connects to Apple's servers, and checks to see if it's activation locked or not.

myrtledog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2015
AC just called for a follow up to see if we've been able to resolve this.

She says the reason nothing we've tried has worked is since the seller un-paired the watch without first unlocking the activation lock, the watch is currently not paired with any phone so can't get a wifi signal to get the change updates...

I'll meet him tomorrow at an Apple Store where I've made a Genius Bar appointment to try and sort this out.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008

It appears that it is a bug. You shouldn't have to remove it from iCloud based on the manual. Here is the text from the manual on this subject:

Sell, give away, or lose Apple Watch

Before you sell or give away your Apple Watch, be sure to unpair it from your iPhone anderase its contents. If your iPhone and Apple Watch are fully functional and connected, you can accomplish this just by unpairing the watch. If your Apple Watch is lost or stolen, you can remove any credit or debit cards associated with it.

Unpair Apple Watch and iPhone. Open the Apple Watch app on iPhone, tap My Watch, tap Apple Watch, tap Unpair Apple Watch, then tap Unpair [watch name]. The Apple Watch is also removed from your iCloud account.

So, the seller did nothing wrong it appears if it was unpaired. Must have been a glitch.

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
Wow, this is a world-class design screw-up. Apple tries to introduce a feature to protect against theft, and instead creates a major problem for legitimate sellers. Someone can try to do everything correctly to un-pair and unlock a watch, but it still may not work. And neither the buyer nor seller can tell until the buyer tries to pair the watch.

Morons-- I wonder if they even thought it through and tested it?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.