Can't use new Apple Mouse 2 whilst charging!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by maryellen_au, Dec 9, 2016.

1. maryellen_au macrumors newbie

OK my new mouse that came with my new 27" iMac needed charging.
    Big FAIL on Apple's design, the port is on the underside of the mouse and you CANNOT use it whilst it is charging! Come on Apple, old style USB mouses had the cable at the back, why on earth put the charging port underneath and then disable the mouse? Fortunately I did have an "old fashioned" mouse I could use whilst the new one was charging, but I feel sorry for anyone who does not have a 'spare' mouse to use, as this effective means you cannot use your iMac either!!!

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

It'll charge enough to give you 9 hours useage in 2 minutes so plug it in and make yourself a drink. By the time you're done you can use it again

3. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

It's a weird kind of situation, I agree. They could've updated the design to allow it to charge while using it.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple's design team at its best :rolleyes:

I do wonder if these design choices would ever make it out of 1 infinite loop, if Jobs was still around. I'm not to alway trot out that saying but seriously who in their right mind thought this was a good idea???

Capto_Capture 2016-12-10_06-59-04_AM.png

5. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

We know the answer to that...

6. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

You simply have to be conscious of the fact that your mouse needs to charge without you using it, so keep an eye on the charge left and then pick any evening before you retire to bed etc to elect to charge the mouse.

7. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

Oh yeah, because a chunk missing out the top would've been a superior design choice... :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

8. mikemike690 macrumors regular

mikemike690

How long does the Magic Mouse 2 last for roughly?

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I use mine a few hours a day and it goes a couple weeks or so on a charge usually.

10. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

You could always sell the Magic Mouse 2 and use the resulting funds to buy a mouse that is more suitable.

11. samparmenter macrumors 6502

They backed themselves into a corner with that design really. They had 2 options. Stick the charging port on the bottom or redesign the mouse. They went for the easier one.

12. barcode00 macrumors member

Can anyone tell me whether there is any indication of battery level on the Magic Mouse? How do you know it requires charing? Will it just stop functioning?

13. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

You can view the battery level in the Mouse/Trackpad/Keyboard preference panes in System Preferences, or in the Bluetooth preference pane, or via the Bluetooth icon in the menu bar (if it's there).

For example:

Screen Shot 2016-12-12 at 19.40.17.png

When the battery is low you receive a notification. When you get this, you will still have at least a few hours of charge left.

The batteries in the Magic accessories are quite big (the battery in the Magic Trackpad 2 is about the same size an iPhone's) and therefore charging isn't especially fast. However, a quick five minute charge will make it last for several more hours, or charge it for about two hours for a full charge.