Can't use Screen Sharing in ichat

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rosh325, Oct 27, 2007.

1. rosh325 macrumors regular

Has anyone successfully used the screen sharing feature of ichat. I tried it with my father-in-law and we both got the same error, something along the lines of "screen sharing could not start". I know there are settings for screen sharing in system preferences, but I don't know if these need to be enabled or if ichat takes care of everything. We are both on broadband connections, though I am over wifi. The audio and video was fine (albeit grainy).

2. maxjg macrumors member

I've heard that oversensitive firewalls(both on the router and the pc) have been causing issues.

3. rosh325 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't know how to go about fixing it. Neither of us have the apple firewall enabled. I am behind a linksys router so I don't know what ports to open. He is directly connected to the internet (no router)

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

iChat Screen Sharing no connection - FIX

Same connection problem - audio, but never connects to screen sharing itself.

I just discovered this tonight:

Check system.log for the following:

Oct 31 00:09:52 Macintosh iChat[16606]: WARNING: error in SecKeychainItemExport: OSStatus -50

Keychain First-Aid should fix it.

Once repaired, I could share my screen. The user on the other end had the same Keychain warning, and once he fixed it was able to also share his screen.

Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, so I sent MacFixit all the info. It doesn't look like an iChat bug, but rather a continuation of the Keychain migration/upgrade problems.

Hope this tip helps. iChat screen sharing is impressively responsive. No comparison to ARD & Chicken-of-theVNC. All that, and audio too.

For reference:
    Oct 31 00:22:25 Macintosh iChat[16606]: Detected bandwidth (kbits/s): 630 up, 656 down.

5. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

I don't think anyone has gotten screen sharing to work.

6. georgeoommen macrumors regular

i tried it with my friend last night and it worked straight out of the box. no tweaks or anything was required. we were both using google logins though. it was a little slow perhaps because of the internet connections.. but it worked perfectly..

7. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I know it's late and all, so I might not have been as clear as i might have been at other times. But, we got it working - both directions, including audio. (only one screen share connection is allowed at a time).

Works very well.

8. eenu macrumors 65816

eenu

have a look in the sharing preferances. Can't tell you anything first hand as i am at my work windows machine but check it out

9. rosh325 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the help. I will definitely try that out later tonight and report back.

10. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

One less thing to worry about: iChat screen sharing doesn't need any services enabled in the sharing preferences.

11. rmh macrumors regular

Worked for me on the first try.