Can't use Screen Sharing in ichat

rosh325

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
In the ether
Has anyone successfully used the screen sharing feature of ichat. I tried it with my father-in-law and we both got the same error, something along the lines of "screen sharing could not start". I know there are settings for screen sharing in system preferences, but I don't know if these need to be enabled or if ichat takes care of everything. We are both on broadband connections, though I am over wifi. The audio and video was fine (albeit grainy).

maxjg

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2006
Has anyone successfully used the screen sharing feature of ichat. I tried it with my father-in-law and we both got the same error, something along the lines of "screen sharing could not start". I know there are settings for screen sharing in system preferences, but I don't know if these need to be enabled or if ichat takes care of everything. We are both on broadband connections, though I am over wifi. The audio and video was fine (albeit grainy).
I've heard that oversensitive firewalls(both on the router and the pc) have been causing issues.

Comment

rosh325

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
In the ether
I don't know how to go about fixing it. Neither of us have the apple firewall enabled. I am behind a linksys router so I don't know what ports to open. He is directly connected to the internet (no router)

Comment

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
iChat Screen Sharing no connection - FIX

Same connection problem - audio, but never connects to screen sharing itself.

I just discovered this tonight:

Check system.log for the following:

Oct 31 00:09:52 Macintosh iChat[16606]: WARNING: error in SecKeychainItemExport: OSStatus -50

Keychain First-Aid should fix it.

Once repaired, I could share my screen. The user on the other end had the same Keychain warning, and once he fixed it was able to also share his screen.

Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, so I sent MacFixit all the info. It doesn't look like an iChat bug, but rather a continuation of the Keychain migration/upgrade problems.

Hope this tip helps. iChat screen sharing is impressively responsive. No comparison to ARD & Chicken-of-theVNC. All that, and audio too.

For reference:
Oct 31 00:22:25 Macintosh iChat[16606]: Detected bandwidth (kbits/s): 630 up, 656 down.

Comment

georgeoommen

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
I don't think anyone has gotten screen sharing to work.
i tried it with my friend last night and it worked straight out of the box. no tweaks or anything was required. we were both using google logins though. it was a little slow perhaps because of the internet connections.. but it worked perfectly..

Comment

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
I don't think anyone has gotten screen sharing to work.
I know it's late and all, so I might not have been as clear as i might have been at other times. But, we got it working - both directions, including audio. (only one screen share connection is allowed at a time).

Works very well.

Comment

eenu

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Manchester, UK
have a look in the sharing preferances. Can't tell you anything first hand as i am at my work windows machine but check it out

Comment