Can't validate my cell # on ATT Wifi page ????

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by senseibiz, Nov 2, 2008.

1. senseibiz macrumors regular

Hello everyone,
    I have a problem and I tried to search but no luck..
    With the new ATT wifi spots available to us for free, I have tried to log in with no luck. I went to settings>Wifi>ATT. Then went to the ATT page and put in my number and agreed with terms. Then I get an error message. Could not validate number please enter your 10 digit number.
    I have tried many times.. went to different hot spots and got the same message. So I took my wife's iphone and did the same thing.
    her iphone accepted her number and got the text message and was on line via ATT wifi.
    So I called ATT and told me that my account was good and there was nothing that they can see. They also told me that I had to call Apple and talk to them about it, because they thing its a hardware issue. That there might be something wrong with the iphone not communicating ...
    anyone has these same issues or any suggestions.
    Thanks,
    SENSEI

2. daisuke07 macrumors regular

you show you know your number right...? You couldve just made a mistake

3. senseibiz thread starter macrumors regular

Nope... That is not it. Tried numerous times..
    Thanks,

4. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

I also couldnt log in when i tried at a soho starbucks firday night. ive come to excpect this from at&flee

5. senseibiz thread starter macrumors regular

I went to Mcdonalds and Starbucks...

I just can't see it being a hardware issue, I have wireless in my house and it connects fine. I only have problems when i go to the ATT page.

6. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

its definitely not hardware. its just same old shi tty att service

7. senseibiz thread starter macrumors regular

I was on the phone with an ATT rep for about 40 minutes (mostly on hold) and they told me that they did not have the resources to fix the problem. Only apple had them. Bull... anywho, I told them, how can this be a hardware issue if the problem is on your end, I can't validate my number on your website.. they did not know..

8. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

+1 to NOT being able to use the 'free AT&T' service at starsucks err bucks.
    Tried 3 different stores same result 'UNable to validate #'
    yet Bongo worked fine.. hardware my buttocks its an AT&T issue.
    SO 3gVoip to rescue /rude AT&T

9. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

Simple solution to this in your case: Use your wife's number to validate on your phone.

10. senseibiz thread starter macrumors regular

Tried that, she gets the text message that activates the Wifi.
    see what ever number you put in, that number gets a text message.

11. tylertech macrumors regular

It won't work for me either, I was at a McDonalds. I'll try calling them later to see what they say.

12. senseibiz thread starter macrumors regular

so far, I have been with 10. yes 10 tech support reps from ATT. from tier 1 to 3.
    they can't figure it out. I went today to the apple store spoke to a genious and he got on the phone with att waited about an hour and I left with the same result. I pretty much gave up.. any more ideas...
    Thanks,
    SENSEI

13. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Transeau

Odd

I'm at AT&T WiFi at McDonalds right now in SoCal. Actually, I'm on my MBP. I connected to the AT&T WiFi on my iPhone, Entered my phone number, clicked on the SMS link and I was connected. Then I cloned my iPhone's MAC and connected with my notebook. Worked Perfectly.

14. jgoalby macrumors newbie

I am also having the same problem.

The exact text is:

"We were not able to validate your number."

I can see the number I typed and it is most definitely not wrong. I have checked it about 100 times!

15. lefty330 macrumors newbie

Same Issue...

Can't login with my phone number. And it's definitely an ATT problem.

16. DigMe macrumors 6502

I also had the problem the one time I tried when I was getting my free coffee at Starbuck's for voting. I want my free wifi while I drink my free coffee, darnit!! :)

17. lefty330 macrumors newbie

Same problem...

Just wanted to chime in. Same problem. On phone now for the second time. They have NO idea what's going on. Great. I like the cloning idea though.

18. demeeder macrumors newbie

Same here folks... went to the AT&T store next to the Starbucks and their first suggestion was to use the tmobile wifi that was popping up. They have no idea as did the many reps called. Most tell me to call Apple. Looking forward to someone popping up with the magical answer.

19. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

i got it working at a starbicks on broadway last night

20. thevibesman macrumors regular

Hmmm...I just got the same invalid number message at a starbucks today, but I have had no problem with this in the past. I think this is the first time I tried at that location so I will have to try one of my other spots later in the week.

21. Dreamer2go macrumors 6502a

22. Ding.Dong macrumors regular

I was having the same problem, getting the "We were not able to validate your number" message. I had tried at Starbucks, McDonalds, and Barnes & Noble and kept getting the same message.

On my home computer, I logged into my wireless AT&T account. It shows a picture of the cellphone they think you have. Mine showed my old cellphone, even though I've had my iPhone for over a year. I changed it to an iPhone. About a week later, it started accepting my number at AT&T hotspots.

For everyone that's getting this message, you might want to try this.

23. arturoroyal macrumors newbie

HotSpot Hell

I am having the same problem.

I called and AT&T, went through customer service and then was bounced to Apple support. Apple support did not even understand what an AT&T hotspot looks like on an iPhone.

Then I went to the AT&T on 17th on Union Square in NYC. They had no idea but suggested I call AT&T customer support from the store.

2hrs, yes, 2hrs later I had no progress. They have no idea. I had to constantly explain myself. I even was transferred to the hotspot people at AT&T who manage the network.

I told the customer service representative, Nicole Mayers, that it was taking too long and to call me back.

She called back a few hours later and left a voicemail saying that it was a wifi problem and I need to "get a username and password from that company (Starbucks or McDonalds)" "wifi is not our network":mad:

WHY IS IT CALLED attwifi?!!!!!!!????!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

The lack of service is absolutely ridiculous!!! How can AT&T offer "free wifi" and no one, neither customer service nor technical support knows how to use it?:eek:

24. demeeder macrumors newbie

Fixed

The problem for me was that AT&T has multiple systems (sales, tech, etc...) that each have their own information and sometimes are not talking to eachother. In my case, one of the systems refused to accept that I upgraded to the iphone and it prevented the validation process to occur. It took them several days to fix it, but now when I log onto the web I see that I own an iPhone and wifi access on AT&T is good to go. hope this helps.... I did talk to many agents before I got someone in tech support familiar with the wifi issues.

25. jeffdc5 macrumors member

jeffdc5