Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slapguts

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Have any of you tried the "Easy Wi-Fi" app? Does it work?

I've been using it to log in at Starbucks for a while now, works great for me.

I was mostly impressed that even though I'm on a first gen iphone, with an AT&T GoPhone plan, I still get free wi-fi.

velvetelvis

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Have any of you tried the "Easy Wi-Fi" app? Does it work?

I've been using it to log in at Starbucks for a while now, works great for me.

I was mostly impressed that even though I'm on a first gen iphone, with an AT&T GoPhone plan, I still get free wi-fi.

i was having the same problem with att wifi not recognizing my number. i tried the easy wifi and had no problems. logged me in and i was online at starbucks...

loghyr

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2008
Hey guys - I had this same problem. As the last guy posted, this problem has been solved! I had a great experience with AT&T dealing with this. The solution is on my blog: http://www.mylifestartingup.com/2008/12/iphone-we-were-not-able-to-validate.html

Yes, make sure that they have the correct model in their databases.

After reading this, I asked that question several times and was told yes.

I'm on support right now and I was told that it was showing up as my old Sliver.

My ATT Wireless page had been showing that and I fixed it last night. I guess they don't trust what I put in...

I'll update later whether this works or not.

Okay, it turns out my IMEI # was also showing up as invalid.

I went through:

Customer Service -> tried to send me to Apple
-> sent me to Technical Support
Asked specifically about my model and IMEI and was told they were fine
As a plus, Tim (my tech) did call me back 10 minutes later and sent me to:
-> sent me to Advanced Networking
This tech immediately said I was in the wrong place and she was going to transfer me
She then informed me I had the wrong model listed in some database and was going to transfer me
(on hold)
She then informed me that me IMEI was wrong
(on hold)
Had me register at http://www.wireless.att.com/medianet
Told me it would take 4 hours

So, thanks Roselle!

I'll update in 4 hours...

cibrahim

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2009
I had the same issue recently. It took me 4 phone calls and an email and in the end they passed me off to the iPhone support line who had nothing to do with the phone being registered in the AT&T databases.

Anyways, what the iPhone support line and I found was the same. The IMEI number needed to be updated in the database, which I did right off the bat. BUT my device would still show up as my old phone, Motorola, which prevented me from logging on to the Wifi network.
I suggested to the AT&T that it might have to do with using my old SIM card from my old phone, which every Rep told me could not be the case. Anyways, it was. I went to an AT&T store and had a new SIM card put in my phone and activated and magically my phone now appeared as an iPhone on their networks and I was able to log on to the Wifi network.

In short:
1- Make sure the IMEI number is correctly registered with AT&T
2- If this still doesn't work, have a NEW SIM CARD put in your phone and activated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.