Can't wait for MBPs anymore. Buy Windows?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nomnom, Jan 27, 2010.

1. nomnom macrumors newbie

Like many, I couldn't have been more disappointed when they did not release the new MBPs today. I really don't want to wait anymore, I've had my present pc for 4 years, and for the price of the old MBPs I could buy myself a much nicer Windows machine. Can anyone make a reasonably intelligent guess as to when it could be released, since it's past its cycle already, it should be plus 1 or 2 months? I really don't know if I should wait anymore... I'm considering to buy a Vaio, any other suggestions/advice? I want to use it primarily with school, I do design work, photo editing and watch movies a lot.

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

We guessed today. It wasn't today, so we'll guess it's tomorrow. Rinse and repeat. Hindsight is 20/20. We won't be sure the new MBPs are released until they are released. Buy a vaio if your needs dictate such. Don't rely on Apple to adhere to anyone's (even their own) schedule and needs.

3. P99 macrumors member

get the vaio. just kick yourself in the rear if incase mBp gets updated soon

4. njalijoe macrumors newbie

Go ahead and buy nicer Windows machine. It will die on you in 8 months. Go ahead and buy specs over quality.

<-----long term disgusted Windows User

5. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

Buy a Macbook Pro today. They still work, and they are fast. You will still have the latest and greatest....... for now!

6. enberg macrumors regular

Exactly, it's not like the current models suddenly became unusably weak just because Intel launched a new processor.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Then buy one, not to sound harsh or anything but has never changed. You could, can and will be able to always buy a more powerful windows machine for the price of a MBP, i.e., apple tax.

MBPs have other things going for them, but if those are not important to you, or you're budget constrained, get a windows box.

fwiw, I find my 2.53MBP has more then enough horse power for me, and while its not new and the latest and greatest. Its quite capable running LightRoom, Photoshop, and various other apps.

Its your money and you need to buy the best machine to fit your needs and budget, if that's a pc get one, if its a mac, either wait for the arrandale or get the current model.

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

The latest and greatest is always around the bend. Quit worrying about the damn specs, if you need a computer, buy one now. If you don't then don't.

9. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

In terms of specs, you can ALWAYS buy a better Windows machine for less money than a Mac. That's not the point. Macbooks have a superior OS/UI and their form factor is unbeatable. (The Dell Adamo and HP Envy are the PC world's unsuccessful attempts to compete with Apple's design, but they go for the same price as a MBP, so why bother?) If you're just doing design and photo work, the current crop should be just fine (unless... are you hi-res scanning large-format film?). It's always nice to have better specs for video work, but it's still quite doable on current hardware.

It's not as if you're doing computational modeling.

10. nomnom thread starter macrumors newbie

right, my 4 year old windows is still alive and kicking... just a bit slow and old as one would expect. macs are not that great, i just felt like some change though. a fresh start of sorts, but windows 7 is supposed to be great (and cheap too), what cannot be said about the ipad =_=

11. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

/thread before this topic gets out of hand.

12. PackFan macrumors regular

PackFan

No way I would go back to a Windows machine now. I have Windows 7 on my Macbook Pro in bootcamp/Fusion, and I'm still not that impressed.

I was hoping for an update today, but my 2-year-old MB Pro is still running fine. I was just hoping Apple would give me a compelling reason to upgrade. :)

13. nomnom thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha, just responding, chill :)

14. heliuscc macrumors member

At the end of the day the resolution and CPU/ graphics are way out of date for a company 'that likes to make great tech' as steve said. No one can deny that. They are simply blowing out their c2d stock, shame it's the same price as it was on release date, something the pc world does not get away with.

15. Heavenkittykat macrumors regular

Granted I used windows all my life until a bought my first mac last 2008. I had laptops and desktops (HP, Compaq, Sony) that are all windows. In fact, my Vaio laptop before I switched to the macbook air in March 08 has higher specs than the MBA, but compared to the MBA, using it feels like crap. After a year of use, it is significantly a lot slower with all the updates and antivirus softwares etc. The OS feels like crap to use (it was Vista back then, I know windows 7 is better). The form factor is not like apple at all. The customer service of Sony is crap (called them several times because of the battery issue that was never resolved even after being transferred several times, and going to a sony store myself).

Look what I'm saying is not to buy windows but to consider that even if a computer has higher specs does not mean that user experience would be better and faster. Everybody knows that apple will update its MBP line soon. Maybe not today (although its disappointing), but soon. So those updates are likely to have the new intel microprocessors. As for me, I would rather wait and buy an apple product in a month and a half or so that buy a windows product and stick with it for 2-3 years.

16. nomnom thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the informative answer, you might have convinced me ;)

17. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

18. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

User experience is different for everyone. I've used both PCs and MACs and both have performed great. It's a common misconception that windows machines get slower over time. The reason they do get slower is because of 1. any preinstalled junk 2. installing junk over the course of the laptop. If one knows how to maintain it, PCs can work just as well as MACs

19. Gomff macrumors 6502a

If you want the latest Mac, wait.....A PC that's 4 years old or 4 and a half years old, makes very little difference....You'll kick yourself if you don't wait that bit longer.

20. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

I've felt the need to instantly reformat and reinstall windows on every laptop I've had to use in the last 3-4 years.

21. Badvostro macrumors newbie

No kidding. At least mine lasted 10 months.... but then it died once a month for four months after that.

But not to jack this thread, I'd wait if I were you. If they're not released this week, then buy the current model refurbished if you're desperate for a laptop.

22. Puqq macrumors regular

Macs had worse QC than most Windows machines. Just look at the topics about $1000s spent on repairs.

I have ordered sony vaio s11 with v. high specs it was still cheaper than MBP 13. i5, 500gb, gf 310M and 4gb ram for 950 pounds.

23. rmlred macrumors regular

I'm right there with you. I'm going to wait till middle of February and if apple hasn't said any thing I'm going to get the current MBP.:apple: