Can't wait! Just Ordered MBP from Amazon

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ariesfeng, Sep 7, 2008.

1. ariesfeng macrumors member

OK, Ok.... I am crazy and stupid, I know.

I just cannot wait until the MBP revision. I just ordered a Macbook Pro (2.5G 2G 250G) from Amazon with one-day shipping. It's supposed to be here on Tuesday, the Big Event day.

just one more question. I was told by one of my friends who works for Apple Store that the MBPs manufactured after April are all nearly perfect. I mean, these MBPs do not have the Vertical Striping Issue anymore.

My question is that does the factory make MBP every week? I mean, is there any possibility that I still get a MBP that is manufactured earlier? e.g. February

I am just so excited to get my macbook pro...........

I will not go to class on Tuesday. I will just sit on the stairs and wait for UPS driver. Haha

2. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Yeah, it's possible to get a model manufactured in February.

Don't worry too much about it though. I have a February model that does not have the vertical striping or any dead pixels whatsoever.

Did you get a discount from your friend? :p Applestore employees can give friends and family members a 15% discount :p.

Anyhow, congratulations on your purchase :)

3. ariesfeng thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! Yes, he did mention that. But I have $500 Amazon Certificate that I can use.

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Congratulations on your MBP and welcome to the world of Mac and to the forum. If there are any problems with the MBP, your warranty should cover it/them. My experience with Apple customer care has been excellent, in general, they are very good about repairing/replacing anything that goes wrong while under warranty. In the meantime, good luck and enjoy your wonderful new MBP.
    Cheers

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

6. megamouse macrumors member

try that

http://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutidentitycard/index.html

7. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Programs like that are the reason they should make an OSX "apps" store.

8. ariesfeng thread starter macrumors member

Just got my macbook pro. it was manufactured on July. 1 dead pixel.

9. snake101st macrumors regular

Are you sending it back? I hear amazon is good about taking back stuff with dead pixels.

10. nephilim7 macrumors regular

11. PDE macrumors 68020

Actually, Amazon is now banning customers it thinks are using its return policies excessively. I was banned because they thought I returned too many macbook pros and many others have been banned for less. I've been furious because amazon also stole the credit I had on my account and locked me out so I can no longer access receipts and order history, but then I realized that if I had dealt with Apple, I would have ended up wasting even more time and money trying to get defective laptops replaced or repaired so to pay a few hundred bucks at the end for the convenience is not that bad after all.

Up until now I've been a real amazon support, but I can't recommend a company that wages aggressive warfare on its customers for following amazon's own policies. Google it for more information.

12. aristobrat macrumors G4

Did you ever actually tally up the number of notebooks that you returned to Amazon over the last year or so?

You seem to have stopped responding to the other thread you started about this issue when that question was raised. :confused:

Over the last three years, I've returned two Apple notebooks and have had no issues with Amazon. Maybe it's because I used the formal return method instead of ordering a new one immediately and asking for a refund on the one I returned. :confused:

Anyhow, if someone was truly unhappy with a laptop purchased from Amazon, I'd still recommend that they talk to Amazon and see what they'll do.

Although I do sympathize with your Amazon situation, I can't think of anyone whose seen your forum posts here over the last year or so who wouldn't say you're the extreme end of spectrum when it comes to having used Amazon's return policy. They should still give you the credit you earned and access to your receipts, though. :eek:

13. ariesfeng thread starter macrumors member

have you returned 100 mackbook pros? did you try to seek help from BBB?

14. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

I agree. I've been a great amazon customer for a long long time. I've ordered a lot of high end computer and camera gear. I returned a mini and bought an imac. That's probably the only "just didnt' want it" return I've made. I had a 1000 buck lens that was defective right after I got it. They actually sent me a replacement with a shipping label to return the defective one and didn't charge my credit card a 2nd time. Excellent service. Sorry about your bad luck.

15. PDE macrumors 68020

I did use the formal return method a few times, and other times I returned and ordered a new as the amazon service people suggested I could do. I think I've returned probably 6-7 macbook pros in the past two years (and I've also had a few replacements from Apple directly). I've also kept probably 5-6 mbps and at least three macbooks. Yes, you're so right, I'm at the extreme end of the spectrum because I demand that I get a good screen and many mbps don't have good displays. The one I'm using right now(samsung) is really good and I'm satisfied, but most of the others were not acceptable for this class machine. In other words, my expectations can be met! I understand that a lot of people wouldn't notice and/or wouldn't care about the screen issues the way I do, and that's fine, but the displays I had were bad and I'm not going to pay that kind of money and get a bad display.

Anyway, Amazon has been good to me, but now they're the worse company I've ever dealt with. I may have returned many MBPs, but I almost never return other items, including expensive cameras, lenses, hard drives and other computer/electronic accessories.

16. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

I'd dump you too if I were amazon.

Some customers are just to of a pain in the rear to deal with.

17. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I agree. I don't blame Amazon at all. I would of got rid of him long before that.

18. delianka macrumors newbie

yeah.. good luck.. apple sucks... ! The last 2 days I have been in pre-heart attack situation...

19. PDE macrumors 68020

So you'd keep macbook pros with these kinds of crap displays? These are a few of the ones I sent back. It's hard to believe that people would prefer to keep crap quality LCDs rather than return/replace them - when I took them to the Apple Store, the first question they asked me was when I got them. Then they suggested that I return instead of repair given that they were new.

Attached Files:

20. PDE macrumors 68020

Thanks.

21. ariesfeng thread starter macrumors member

I definitely agree with you!!!

People spent much more money on their MBP. We are not picky, we just want a laptop with "good condition". The screen like that can be considered as defective product.

There is only one dead pixel and I can live with it. If I find more problems on my new MBP, I will definitely ask Apple for replacement.

Thanks!

22. aristobrat macrumors G4

Nope, but at some point (before it got to the "6th or 7th return") I would have come to the conclusion that I'm screwing Amazon with the quantity of my returns and I would have purchased from Apple directly (so they had to eat the cost of the returns).

23. PDE macrumors 68020

Actually, that's what I did, thinking that it would save me the hassle of returning to amazon (which is a hassle because it involves shipping), but it turns returning to Apple is a lot more hassle than to Amazon. Apple geniuses's favorite phrases seem to be :

"I can't see anything wrong with the display"
    "LCDs vary but Apple only uses the best"
    "I've looked at it in the back and it's within spec"

And the, when I insist that I don't agree: "Okay, we'll exchange it for you, but the new screen might be worse...just so you know."

I never kept exchanging MBPs at amazon more than once. In fact, Amazon stops you from making multiple exchanges by sending you a note saying (lying of course) that they had looked into the issues with the product and concluded that there is a larger problem and that it would be better to wait before the next order to see if a new batch is better. In other words, my exchanges happened over time, not in one go.

It's been a major inconvenience for me (as anybody who has read my posts here can tell you). I'm particular, but as my current MBP shows, Apple does use good displays sometimes. Why would I settle for getting a lesser display when some are so good? It's like buying vegetables: nobody chooses the rotten peppers when there are good ones.

24. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

How can you tell if you have a single dead pixel, is it obvious?
    I'm curious, can you post a pic?

25. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

If you're so picky why wouldn't you go purchase your laptop from the Apple store you've visited? (or any other Mac retailer for that matter) You could check it over before you lay your money down and save a HELLUVA lotta hassle on both sides.