Capacity Question

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cafleming1987, May 6, 2012.

1. cafleming1987 macrumors member

Hey guys. After going back and forth for some time, I finally bought an iPad. After researching, I noticed the general census was to get the 32GB minimum since the apps will only get bigger, and with the 1080p video. Well, I bought a 32GB white WiFi only model. I feel extremely fortunate after reading some of the forum, because there is not a single noticeable flaw with it.

Anyway, I don't have much as far as digital content. I put pictures on it, downloaded a handful of apps, some ebooks and I'm only using 1.4GB. I am beginning to wonder if I should return it, buy the 16GB and save the $100. I know capacity needs vary from person to person, based of personal use. My question is, do people normally find more uses for the iPad as time goes on? As of right now, I cannot imagine how I would use up more space. I'm a clinical nurse, so there isn't really any use for it at work. I don't see myself watching movies on it when I have a 50in flat screen sitting in front of me while I'm at home, and I'm not big into music. Any opinions and personal experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

It sounds like you are an exception to the thing of buy at least 32GB. I have a 16GB LTE. I don't use a lot of apps. I really just browse the internet, do email, us Netflix and Tapatalk.

3. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

Well I'm going to put forward the argument of resale value. I sold my iPad 2 for a premium over the 16gb model and made all my money back. I loaded a lot of comics and photos so I really did need the space. I'd rather have too much than too little.

Having said that, I think 16gb is suited to most people. You can download all the apps you like to your pc and just carry around the ones you need on the iPad. For light users 16gb is still plenty.

4. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

I've personally not found a reason to go with anything larger than the 16 gb. I stream all my audio and video content. And I see more and more storage moving to the cloud.

5. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    I certainly did and am glad I went with the 32GB iPad 2 (which has an actual capacity of 29GB).

The iOS and preinstalled apps take up space, so a 16GB model will have maybe 14GB available.

Had I purchased a 16GB model, I'd be out of space. I have but one video, 14 songs, 80 photos, and 69 business, personal, news, and entertainment apps.

In my case, once I started discovering how the iPad could make a lot of things easier and faster, my apps increased. The saying There's an app for that is certainly true!

6. cafleming1987 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the opinions :). I have until the 18th of May to return it, so I have a little time to make up my mind. If I had a use for it other than personal use, I could justify the additional storage. On the rare occasion that I fly up to Michigan to visit family (normally once a year), I can just rent a movie, and then delete/download a new one for the return flight. I guess I should have used my iPhone usage as a clue, I don't have many apps on it either. I have a 27in iMac, so I can stream from that if I ever want to. Cost is not really an issue for me, but it will drive me nuts knowing I am not using all I paid for.

7. number84 macrumors 6502

I have a 16gb LTE and still have over half of my storage left. If this is your first iPad and you already bought the 32, I'd just keep it though. Since you really don't know what your usage will be. I've been using 16gb since the iPad 2 and I've never needed the extra storage.

8. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

If I were you, I'd swap it out. It seems like you don't use many graphically intense games, and if you don't plan on keeping 10-15 HD movies on it at one time, you won't find much use for all that extra space.

Even if you just used it for reading, it would be quite a large amount of books you would need to fill up that space. I've got 40+ Stephen king books, and they take up about 1.2gb total

9. cafleming1987 thread starter macrumors member

Yep, this is my first iPad. It's a difficult decision, I guess in the scheme of things $100 isn't that much for not having to worry about space. Then again, I could swap it out and buy the 16GB and use the $100 for a Apple TV. The mirroring peaked my interest, I have a PS3 for Netflix, but new releases through On Demand from our cable company hardly ever work. So, the 16GB with the ATV to compliment it sounds like a viable option as well.

10. r-sparks macrumors 6502

r-sparks

You need a 32/64GB only if:

- you sync your music collection to your iPad
    - you intend to watch many 1080p movies on your iPad, and don't want to have to delete some to put others on there
    - you're going to install lots of 3D arcade games

If none of this is true then the 16GB model will do just fine and you will never will it up.

11. cafleming1987 thread starter macrumors member

16GB is definitely more fitting for me then. The only iOS games I like are Angry Birds, anything else is better for me on the iMac or PS3. Not big into music, and I have my iPhone to use as an iPod if the desire ever arises. As far as movies, they look so much better to me on my flat screen. I think I'll return the 32GB and buy a 16GB with the Apple Tv. Two toys instead of one is more appealing anyway :p. If the 16GB proves to be a little tight in the end, I'll get the 32GB with the next iPad. I'm a neat freak with my iPhone, only keeping apps I use (in alphabetical order), and never keep anything on there that does not serve a purpose that is important to me. Off topic, has anyone had a refund put onto a gift card? That would be quicker than waiting on the bank.

12. Chairman.Jobbie macrumors 6502

AppleTV for streaming stuff is great! We have an AppleTV2 and an AppleTV3 - they are used regularly.

I have a 16gb iPad and so far I have about 8gb free with everything installed & settled. If you are sure then save the money and buy an AppleTV :)

Also, when I changed my iPads (3!) they were all exchanged onto gift cards so my credit card wasn't messed up.

13. Maskusee macrumors 6502a

Maskusee

I also started out with regular low gig apps. Then started playing some first person shooters and it started eating up my space. Now I'm glad I picked up the higher capacity iPad. MC3 is over a gig. I believe you should stick withe the capacity you picked up. I'm already at 20 Gigs. Have MC3, Infinity Blade 2, Mass Effect, NOVA2, 5 Gigs of Music, etc.

Btw, I also wasnt into the other games before I got the iPad. Now my PS3 and Xbox sits there and I got use to the iPad controls with the apps and im truly enjoying the game play.

14. rmeadejr macrumors 6502a

I'm in the opposite position. I have the 16gb wifi iPad3 and I'm thinking I need to exchange it for the 32gb one. My Marvel comic app already has 5gb of comics...ugh. Only thing I am afraid of is getting a bad screen, the 16gb screen is perfect to me.

15. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Another instance of needing more space is if you take pictures and videos with the iPad camera. Pictures, and especially videos, take a lot of space.

Yes, I've done that many times. When returning items, they usually ask you if you want a gift card or want the money put back on your credit card. Actually, if you are returning and buying another item at the same time, they may even be able to combine that into one transaction and skip issuing a gift card altogether -- just explain what you want to do at the outset, and let them figure out the most efficient way to handle the transaction.

16. cafleming1987 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you! I'll go to the Apple Store this afternoon and make the switch. With Mountain Lion, I imagine the ATV will only get more useful as time goes on. As far as the iPad, I am confident that I won't need any more space. As a test, I downloaded a ton of free apps to see where I would be sitting. With a ton of apps, 37 songs, 12 ebooks, and 360 pics I was at 3.8GB used. That would be the absolute worst case scenario, I just don't see myself using more than a handful of apps.

17. cafleming1987 thread starter macrumors member

I don't think I will use the iPad camera for anything other than FaceTime. With my iPhone, and EOS Rebel, I'm covered in the camera department. Not big into recording videos either. Thank you for the info on the exchange procedure as well.

18. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

sounds like youve already made up your mind to me. i have the 16 gig version and im happy with it. i have itunes match so no need to pull my entire music collection on it, aside from that, i have tons of ebooks, a good handful of apps on it and im not even a third into my storage. depends on your usage really. on the other hand i know a lot of people opt for wifi only, i couldnt live without the 3g as i take it out with me a lot. different strokes for different folks.

19. Haziza macrumors member

Haziza

Get Spotify and you will have no space left, my Spotify use 16GB

20. barredfreak macrumors 6502

You should definitely stick with the 16GB model, as it looks like you have pretty much everything covered.

Also, congratulations on your first iPad. :)

21. cafleming1987 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks to everyone for their opinions. I'm going to go ahead with the 16GB model, since no matter how hard I try, I just cannot put a dent in the storage. My eyes cannot handle staring at the screen for long, so it is a mute point to download movies to it. The games are alright, but something about my PS3 with a surround sound system makes me not want to play anything other than Angry Birds on the iPad. As far as ebooks, they just don't take up much space. If it turns out I'm wrong, there is always the next one.

22. ZipZap macrumors 601

I just dont see how it makes sense to use itunes match and pay over and over (i.e., use my precious data allotment) to stream/download music I already own and can easily put on my device. iTunes Match does make sense to upgrade the quality of recordings but I would still download them.

From my experience, I aways find something down the road that makes me regret going minimalist on my purchase. I dont anymore. I got a IP1 with 32 and within a reasonable time needed more space. I now have a IP3 with 64.

So unless you're a flipper of tech (buy every new version)...The old rule of thumb really applies all the time:

Buy as much memory as you can
    Buy the biggest storage amount you can

23. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

iTunes Match comes in very handy for me. I have a pretty large collection of music, and it would never fit on any model of iPhone, but Match allows me to listen to any of it anywhere I am. If I don't want to keep it on my phone after listening to it, I can just delete it. And I love having my entire collection available, including all the stuff I ripped from CDs without having to sync to iTunes. I have a 3 GB a month data plan, and it can eat into that, but not nearly as much as my Hulu/Netflix usage.

To the OP, you are not in the minority for having an iPad you're pleased with. Most people's iPads are fine.

24. waynep macrumors 6502

I got my first iPad when the latest one came out. I got the 64GB and am glad I did. I have all my iTunes media on there along with some movies, iTunes U classes etc.

25. cafleming1987 thread starter macrumors member

Kind of shocked with myself. Before I could go to the apple store, I was notified of a family emergency and had to catch the first flight out to Michigan the next morning. I downloaded a couple of movies, transferred my music collection, downloaded a handful of games, and I was shocked to see the 32GB get swallowed up rather quickly. After spending a few days in Michigan (at my mom's house without cable and driving all over hell), I started using the iPad more than I ever thought I would. I actually enjoy watching movies on it, I have fallen in love with infinite blade, the sims, monopoly, and a few others. So, I made the decision to exchange it for...the 64GB wifi model. I may never use all the storage, but I can actually enjoy using my iPad and not have to worry about running out of space, or relying on cloud storage. I will be teaching CNA classes this summer, so I imagine that Keynote and Pages will come in handy. Plus, grading assignments will most likely be much more enjoyable on my iPad as well. So, thanks to everyone for your input. I am now a believer in buying as much storage as you can afford, you never know when you may need it.