Capital One Bank Stops MAC support

Discussion in 'macOS' started by peterlobl, Apr 10, 2008.

1. peterlobl macrumors regular

Sounds kooky (not sure if this is proper forum, but it is OSX related) - yet

Business account holders from Capital ONE bank (national bank) & recent acquisition North Fork Bank (largish bank from NYC/NJ area) have been told that they CAN NOT access their business accounts online (or via iPhone, etc) unless they run Internet Explorer on a WINdows machine.

Outrageous!

For business owners in NY area who previously connected to North Fork Bank happily on MAC/WIN/LINUX machines via virtually all browsers have seen their choices severely limited. ('crippled' would be appropriate word choice here I believe)

Communication with their Business office as of today says they have NO PLANS to implement any further options...

Their only solution - BootCamp with IE (forget Safari, FireFox, etc)!!

Do other banks do this, drop choices, implement the iron hand to the backside?

Guess we need a new bank...

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

stop saying MAC and WINdows, thank you. Or are you referring to Media Access Control?

3. peterlobl thread starter macrumors regular

yeah

????
    what would you prefer?

4. nick9191 macrumors 68040

MAC = Migration Authorisation Code
    Mac = Macintosh computer

And yes this sucks absolute balls, lets hope the uproar changes this. Some banks actually make their online banking non-IE only.

5. Kevin83165 macrumors regular

Capitol One are nazis anyway, those who ever had to deal with the credit business will know what I am referring to.

Let them rot in hell.

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

If you move enough money out, then Capital one will have to listen.

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

My bank didn't support Safari for ages but it worked just fine once I changed the user agent. :rolleyes:

Their site doesn't complain about me using Safari anymore.

9. peterlobl thread starter macrumors regular

The business site actually loads, lets you enter ID/passwd - verifies info, loads main screen - drops menus properly - then won't allow more input...

Menus go along the width of the screen, fully selectable - after making a choice on a menu, different case submenus appear and run parallel along the bottom of the menu bar...
    these are however NOT selectable!
    You can't do anything inside the site.

it seems close to functioning - but...
    same on iPhone as on MacBook.

Waiting to hear from their public relations people for an explanation. At first I thought it would be a simple, or not crazy complicated fix.. now it is simply NOT SUPPORTED

10. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

Actually, it would be funny if they stopped MAC (Money Access Center) support - the old acronym for ATM.

I hate companies that cannot hire decent IT people. Any IT person who thinks MS is the only game in town needs to disappear with the 1990's. YOU, (Mr./Mrs./Ms.) IT person, are obsolete.

11. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

ies4osx works for me on Leopard. I know it has Flash but I'm unsure about Java once more. Try every browser that you can on OS X. It's much less of a hassle then trying to have a dozen browser on Windows.

I've had at least two or three browsers on my Mac besides Safari.

13. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

Wow, what a bunch of crap that is!!! Glad I'm not a customer...Our bank [in the US] uses Unix backend servers w/ Apache/PHP for Web access, so it doesn't matter what you use for a browser. So much for making it easy for customers.

14. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

The server platform has nothing to do with browser compatibility. They (your bank) just seem to deliver HTML/javascript that is cross-browser compliant.

15. mogzieee macrumors 6502a

it won't be long until they give in and go cross browser... its happened too many times before... eBay, BBC iPlayer, etc

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I would switch banks quite frankly if they refused to support Macs. Quite frankly if you send someone senior at Capital one an email with a link to http://marketshare.hitslink.com/ they'll quickly change their tune.

17. peterlobl thread starter macrumors regular

porting banks

Switching banks is an option, last resort type, but still.. at old North Fork, the general banking terms were ok - and online worked so nicely with the iPhone while on the road... then came the Cap One merger

i understand that it might take time to make it all compatible, but the "tech" support today was so strong in saying Windows/IE only - they wanted to fax me the 5 page instructions on how to install bootCamp!

would have to change the automatic ACH deposits, withdrawals, CC processing accts, etc... porting banks ain't fun. and they realize that.

Just ordered a bunch of checks, too, should be here anyday now

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So emailing the bank manager the web stats (25% of web users don't use IE) might be worthwhile ;). Otherwise some banks, like Smile in the UK will help you switch.

19. erikistired macrumors 6502

erikistired

i wonder if this is the result of following microsoft standards instead of web standards.

20. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

When will people get a clue and stop generalizing OS's.

It's not that they might stop supporting Mac, they aren't supporting certain browsers! Browsers that run on both Windows and Mac and for that matter even Linux and possibly only supporting IE. Besides, it's support, doesn't necessarily mean it won't work, just they're to dumb to figure out solutions if customers call with issues connecting.

So it's not "Captial One Bank Stops Mac (corrected) support" it's "Capital One Banks Stops Non IE Browsers"

Well, it has to be in the works because we just connected last night. Wife was having issues and the support lady told her "you have to use IE or Firefox" which I got on the phone and told her "It works fine in Safari because I'm connected to the business account in both Firefox and Safari"

Unless they're using some funky ActiveX control I'll wait to see how this pans out until it tells me specifically it's not supported.

21. Queso macrumors G4

ActiveX on a banking site? No thanks :D

This actually surprises me big time. The trend amongst most companies is away from IE only support. According to the latest figures from NetApplications only 74% of web hits are now on average from machines running IE. At weekends when people are using their own computers rather than those imposed by the office that drops significantly. Web and system developers know this. I can only guess that a Windows fanboy IT manager was running this project. Well, that or someone with less knowledge of the current IT landscape than my mother.

22. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I agree, I would shy away from ANY ActiveX control that interacts with my money. IE has been (even though IE7 is a tad bit better) full of security flaws. More so than any other browser.

I doubt the site will stop working in other browsers unless they put some javascript that blocks or redirects other browsers, it could just be their phone support will just only support IE and tell users "you must use it" when it's not true.

Who knows, we can only speculate.

23. peterlobl thread starter macrumors regular

Semantically you are correct, but if the comes-with browser in a Mac is Safari, and in a Windows machine it's IE - then until you download and install new s/w, Cap One is choosing support for one over the other, no?

Esp when they have pages of documentation available to fax on how to install BootCamp

AND --- on iPhone I have no choices now at all .

PS Are you using Cap One Treasury Optimizer website? tried Safari for Win and it doesn't work either.. which site do u use for business access?

24. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Still boils down to browser support. UNLESS, and I hope to GOD they aren't doing this, unless they are using some sort of "Integrated Security" with the Windows Domain on the users computer which would not be very good for a site such as this (meaning money). Also along the same idea due to the challenge/response request and IE/IIS interaction which would be why it needs IE over other browsers even though they CAN pass the same type of information.

Regardless, I can neither confirm nor deny these allegations, I plead the 5th, I'll drink a 5th.

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

XP Home doesn't support Windows Domains so I doubt it.