Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
RebelSerpent is now available

b.jpg

From SwitchEasy again, the company known for best customer service, has just released this RebelSerpent.

Now I'm thinking if I'm gonna replace my White Neo for this one (I have a white iPhone)

Any thoughts about this case?

Enuratique

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2008
It's the same as the rebel only with the texture, and this case has the SAME saggy bottom problem. I love the look, but can't handle the bottom sag.

You sure it has the same saggy bottom? It doesn't mention that in the review. I ordered mine yesterday (my first case for the iPhone) so once I get it I will post some pics of it. My take on the whole saggy bottom issue is that a) if you use the power port protector and b) don't freaking yank on the bottom part of the case when assembling/disassembling/removing from pocket, it's a non-issue.

Also the youtube review mentions that the silicone half of the case feels different from the other Rebels so I'm hoping the issue has been addressed. Hope that's not just wishful thinking on my part.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
From the reviewer himself:

Is there still sagging at the bottom for this RebelSerpent case?

MikeyD3g (6 hours ago)

This case seems to be a little tighter. I never had a problem with my Devil Rebel like a lot of others out there. I think the problem might be from taking the case on and off again, and the spine scraping against the plastic of the main housing, causing it to get thin, and then sagging. The only thing I noticed that was bad about the case was lifting with the screen shield. I've used DLO antiglare screen shields with the Rebel in the past, and they don't get any lift.

I might get this case as a replacement for the Neo, unless other proven that the BlackNeo is better than this SerpentRebel :p (damn I'm a sucker for cases)

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
Mark my words, if you take this new case off a few times you will have a saggy bottom. They can name it whatever they want, the black plastic has an issue and it is what it is.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Mark my words, if you take this new case off a few times you will have a saggy bottom. They can name it whatever they want, the black plastic has an issue and it is what it is.

It seems you have a bad experience with the sag issue as well.

So far the Rebel has some sag issues and the Neo-White has some stain issues while the Neo-Blac has some chipping(?) issues

Right now I'm stuck with a White Neo and iClear, swapping back & forth but I want a solid non-stain case since the white neo is already getting dirty-creamier than before.

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
I have had 3 Black Capsule Rebels, the third was a slightly different feel since they tweaked the formula that makes the black rubber shell. The case held up well for 2 weeks, but as I removed my phone a few times, it started to sag badly.

I have a few black Capsule Neos and have had no issues with them at all, however I still prefer my Black Matte Slider to any of the Switcheasy products. The revised black slider has no issues with peeling.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
I have had 3 Black Capsule Rebels, the third was a slightly different feel since they tweaked the formula that makes the black rubber shell. The case held up well for 2 weeks, but as I removed my phone a few times, it started to sag badly.

I have a few black Capsule Neos and have had no issues with them at all, however I still prefer my Black Matte Slider to any of the Switcheasy products. The revised black slider has no issues with peeling.

I've been staying away from Incase, because of their very horrible email AND call correspondence to solve my issues before, I almost called my credit card company to take care of them. So far I'm still on the path not geared towards sliders.

Now debating what black case to get, this RebelSerpent, Neo-B, or something else that might pop up in the next couple of weeks :confused:

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
Interesting, I have had amazing support from their customer service. Guess they must not be too consistent.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
You sure it has the same saggy bottom? It doesn't mention that in the review. I ordered mine yesterday (my first case for the iPhone) so once I get it I will post some pics of it. My take on the whole saggy bottom issue is that a) if you use the power port protector and b) don't freaking yank on the bottom part of the case when assembling/disassembling/removing from pocket, it's a non-issue.

Also the youtube review mentions that the silicone half of the case feels different from the other Rebels so I'm hoping the issue has been addressed. Hope that's not just wishful thinking on my part.

A friend in California got his 2 days ago, and when he put it on, the bottom was sagging just like the original. He's already got a replacement coming out, so we'll see how that is.

From what I understand, the "rubber" part is exactly the same, the only change is the texture on the spine.

TheBearman

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2008
Cary, NC
And here's another video review of the Serpent Rebel. Be sure to look at 10:30 of the video, where he points out the poor fit, and saggy bottom. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_XJUNo5J-k

In most cases I find his reviews spot on and maybe the one he received does have that problem. I can say that I have this case and my bottom is no more "saggy" than the blue one he compared it with.

I'm very happy with mine and this is the 3rd rebel I have ordered. I have a black, red and now the serpent. I like the serpent the best so far, mainly because the plane back scratch easily and can look worn in very short time.

Just my thoughts.

eedna

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2009
hey, thought you guys might be interested in this

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15958

i have one, and am satisfied with it, despite some things (there is a VERY visible seam all the way around the case, the material catches lint like its nobodies business, and im not really sure that if i dropped it in this thing it would actually really help. im probably gonna order the actual switcheasy brand arctic the next time i get paid, and if you guys are interested i can do like a side by side review kinda thing

honesstly though for 4 dollars you cant beat it, i also got 4 different color silicone cases (which are surprisingly nice) for 2 bucks a piece. they also have knockoffs of other name brand accessories, theres an unbranded slider 2 knockoff on there for like 30 bucks. you get what you pay for as far a quality goes, and for that little with free shipping i think its more than worth checking stuff out, you might find something youd like. they also have various replacement parts up. (free) shipping from china took about 6 days once they actually shipped it (4 days after i placed the order)

jsimpson

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2006
I finally ordered and received my Arctic Capsule Rebel and love it so far! Fits great and looks great too. No sagging issue but I could see how if it is taken off alot it might become problem but it seems if you use the dock connector plug it might help keep that part supported better.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
For those who own both a Rebel & CapsuleNeo, which is by far the easiest to remove off from the iPhone?

I'm wondering if I'm gonna invest on the Rebel, I always take my phone out to get it cleaned, but apparently the saggy issue will come in based on reviews.

Starbucks Drunk

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2008
I just go my Rebel Serpent today. I like it much better than the other Rebels. I have the all black, skeleton, devil rebels. The serpent is my fourth one. I really like the diamond plate style skeleton. The new Serpent skeleton doesn't scratch as easy as the other rebels. Also, I compared the Serpent skeleton to my other Rebels skeleton, and the Serpent skeleton is thicker and stronger. It doesn’t bend and twist as easy as the regular Rebels. Anybody else compare them? I don't have any problem with the sagging. Mine fits great. Just an FYI, i bought mine at WirelessRage and I got the free leather pouch that comes with it. The pouch fits the SE Serpent case perfect. Also, free shipping!

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
After only seeing Carlos' review on the Rebel Serpent being bad & the rest of the reviews really had a kick-ass case, I decided to take the plunge! Hopefully it will arrive before the week ends.. Ooooh can't wait :D

brian5

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
CT, USA
<<snip>> i bought mine at WirelessRage and I got the free leather pouch that comes with it. The pouch fits the SE Serpent case perfect. Also, free shipping!
Nothing wrong with purchasing it from WirelessRage -- I've purchased one of my Rebels from there. The "free leather pouch" is junk though -- the clip tore off after only 3 uses. I actually told them it was junk and asked if they had a better one that I could purchase. They did not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.