Car accident thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by puckhead193, Dec 12, 2007.

1. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

So yea i was just in a car accident tonight....
    I'm still shaky and my knees hurt (prob from the air bags) but all in all i'm ok.. just hungry; we were on our way to dinner. I wasn't driving my friend was and we were in a mini cooper and the other person was in a ford explorer... My friend and I are ok. THe other party i don't know...
    So yea so any one in a car accident

2. zakee00 macrumors regular

zakee00

Two days after my first birthday...and by first birthday, I mean 0th birthday :D

While being driven home from the hospital.

Sorry to hear about your accident, but glad you're ok- how did the Mini fare?

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

i've been in a few although luckily none that bad. Once had a motorcyclist come around a corner too fast which pushed him onto the wrong side of the road and he ditched the bike and it smashed into our car. It turned out that we actually knew the guy and he was very embarrassed.

Glad you are alright.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Glad to hear that you are ok. You should see your doctor for a checkup since injuries sometimes take awhile to appear.

I was in an accident in August 2003. Totaled my car, wasn't wearing my seatbelt. Walked away without a scratch.

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Are you legally required to wear them in the states?

I have never ridden in a car without my seat-belt on it is total lunacy.

6. zakee00 macrumors regular

zakee00

In some states, yes. That is the case in Alaska. And I totally agree- I just can't even fathom a reason why NOT to wear them.

7. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

i think the mini is done for...
    and yes we were wearing seatbelts

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I've been in one. Believe me, you'll be extra careful for a long time. And you'll hold just a little tighter when someone else is at the wheel. Especially for drivers who haven't had your experience. Good luck.

9. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I was hit by someone driving on the wrong side of the road in June 06. She didn't have insurance either so I had to spend a good majority of the money I was saving up to buy a Mac to fix the car. :mad: She is the only one person in this world I can truly say I hate.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

They are required by law, I just wasn't wearing it. I wear it around 95% of the time.

Why didn't your insurance cover it?

11. thefnshow macrumors regular

i got into an accident earlier in the year...came out of the dealership at night after spending $1200 to fix a bunch of stuff and those pricks could even wash my truck..looked at the traffic and all 3 lanes stopped and let me cross...looked to the right traffic was clear...proceeded to turn left and out of nowhere comes a car and i decimated his monte carlo....i just pushed in my front bumper and tweaked the driver's side water guard in the wheel well...had my seat belt on and i was fine but pissed off...there goes another $500 for my deductable...oh yeah i drive a 98 ford expedition

12. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Just a few fender benders (One while my dad was teaching me to drive stick, and I hadn't got it down yet. :eek:)

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If you were in a Mini, and he was in a Ford Explorer, he's probably OK. ;)

14. windowsblowsass macrumors 6502a

you guys may as well close down the thread after this because its gonna be hard to top.

ok here goes. august 18 th night my friend is driving a little to fast in his neon im in the front passenger seat, i was literally just about to put on my seatbelt like before he lost i was like oh **** gotta put on my seat belt too late. he gets off the road a little and there is gravel on the side of the road he loses control and trys to jerk the car back on the road, loses it and SLAMS into a tree head on. I regain consciousness after a very brief blackout and the car is smokey and my friend is FLIPPING OUT. screaming we have to get out of the car. i mange to drag myself out of the car at which point i realize my leg is royally ****ed. luckily some bystanders came over to help and pulled me away form the car which eventually caught on fire. the volunteer firefighters who arrived would not put out the fire while it was in the engine compartment or let the people there with fire extinguishers to put it out, one of the bystanders pleads with the VFF to pull me away form the car before it explodes. the VFF tells him that cars only explode in the movies and continues to do nothing. finally the people who came to help pulled me away soon after the car burst into flames. i had a severely broken femur, which required me being life flighted via helicopter form the local hospital to a larger one because they could not fix it. they put a rod in my leg at geisinger, i also bruised my lungs and cracked 2 ribs. i had an 11 day hospital stay and couldn't walk for 6 weeks afterwards i had a walker then a cane im basically recovered now and have just finished therapy

15. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

only applies if you carry uninsured/under insured coverage which is general pretty cheap to have and always a good idea to carry because of jackasses who do no carry it. Your insurance company will cover you then sue the other guy to get the money back.

as for seat belts it is the law in all 50 states to wear one. no state is going to remove it because they will lose a lot of money from the feds.

16. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

17. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I'm glad to hear you're ok. Do you have any pics?

The day before halloween I was driving my Land Rover on Route 20 in CT. I was driving up a hill, probably going 45mph. All of a sudden I see a blur fly out of the woods and then time froze and I saw my self about to hit the dear. I literally said "Holy s***!". Before I could put my foot on the brakes I felt a huge thump and I got pushed forward. My car automatically turned off, doors unlocked, and hazards came on. I opened my door and realized that my seat belt was still on. I slowly walked to the front of my car only to see that it was mangled up. The deer was in the air when I hit it so the bumper didn't really absorb any of the hit.

The guy behind was like "Are you ok, thats one hell of a stag you hit". My cell phones battery was dead so I used his phone to call the police. 5 minutes later an ambulance comes and ask if I am ok. Then 10 minutes later the police comes to direct traffic around my car as it is rush hour. Then it got towed away, never to be driven again. $11,000 in damage without even opening the hood. The following had damage:
    - Hood
    - Right and Left Front 1/4 panels
    - Bumper
    - Grill
    - Brush Guard
    - All headlights and front turn signals
    - Radiator & Mount
    - A/C System
    - The door locks didn't function correctly after that
    - Probably damage to the PS equipment but they didn't bother locking further into internal damage

The airbags did not deploy, so I only got a small bruise on my abdomen from the seat belt and my right knee either hit the dashboard or the center console because it hurt a lot the next day. One of the 3 policemen (well, I suppose 2 policeman since one was a policewoman) said that had I been in a sedan there would be know doubt that that thing wouldn't have gone through the windshield.

18. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

My first accident didn't happen until the end of my first year in college. I was stupid and in a hurry and tried to outrun a light. It was too late by the time I realized it and got hit by someone turning left. We were all okay, but I was pretty shaken up about it. It took two weeks to get my car out of the shop, and then the day I did I got backed into by someone else. :rolleyes: That just required a new bumper.

Because I once slid on ice into a curb and bent my front axle I still hate driving in the snow or wintery conditions.

19. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Me too. I hate ABS in the snow too. Sometimes it comes on when I don't think it needs to. I just want to pull the fuse on it.

20. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Yeah, its very much a state to state thing, although most are on the bandwagon.

So, off-topic, just to answer your... well, it wasn't really a question but I am going to 'answer' it anyways... Here in Illinois (about 3 or 4 years back) they passed a law making not wearing your seatbelt probable cause to pull you over (that is if an officer believes you aren't wearing your seatbelt he could immediately pull youover, no questions asked), whereas before the officer had to spot another reason as well (headlight out, tail light out, no lamp for your license plate, etc. etc.), and people went mad! The biggest argument was, and get ready for this because it really is great, that sometimes wearing your seatbelt can actually cause harm, so people should get to choose whether or not to take that risk! Now, my mother has been working for the state police now for around 13 years, and of all the fatal accidents she has handled (THOUSANDS) only ONE person died because he WAS wearing his seatbelt. I love idiots :)

Anywho, back on topic, when I was 15 I got my permit, had it for TWO DAYS and hit a parked car. It was great really, I got the gas and the brake mixed up, I was so very proud of myself... :) I still haven't lived that one down.

OP, glad to hear you are alright.

EDIT: Also, since it came up, how do mini's fair in crashes of reasonable impact? I am very possibly buying one after the first of the year...

21. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I almost hit a mailbox a couple minutes ago.

Snow + no salt/sand/plowing + Ford Explorer trying to run me off the road + Touareg/summer tires on.

22. mpw Guest

Had my first as a driver about 8hrs after passing my test. Then as a passenger my friend hit a tree while I was pushing a tape into the player and I ended up forcing my finger into the tape player and peeling the skin back over my nail. The car flipped end over end then rolled ending up on it's wheels teetering movie scene like over a bank at the side of the road. Looking out my side the drop went on forever into the darkness, but on returning to the scene in the daylight it was only about six feet.

Had another a few years later in a hire car, brand new, but I totally wrote it off. Thanks to the fully comp. insurance I'd never bothered with before, but my father had taken as he'd arranged the car that time they sent another car along to the crash scene within 45mins. Avis FTW.

23. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I wrote my beautiful Jag off a few years back.

Offtopic: posting your entire life to the web is really cool: I can use Google to find out when I crashed the car instead of having to remember :D

24. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

When I was in high school I broadsided a mailbox, hit a relatively small tree head on, and rolled the car onto its roof. I blew out most of the windows and caved in the roof so much that the top of the steering wheel (between 11 and 1) was poking out the other side of the windshield. Needless to say the car was totaled, but my friend and I escaped w/very minor injuries. Which, IMO, was nothing short of a small miracle and the Deputy that arrived on scene (who specialized in reconstructing fatal accidents) said he'd never seen a car that mangled not cause an fatalities.

Lethal

25. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

My old neighborhood's roads were banked wrong. My stupid 17 year old neighbor at the time was speeding, hit the incorrectly banked turn, slid on some sand and took out his neighbor's mailbox and his own. He caused $2000 damage to his car, and ruined the neighbors $300 mailbox. I honestly didn't even know you could buy a mailbox for $300.