Car broken into last night

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by einmusiker, Oct 27, 2010.

1. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

great way to start an already crappy week :( Came out to my car to go to work at 5 am and the passenger window was smashed. Now I don't need a lecture on how stupid I was because I know how stupid I was. They took a $2000 guitar, a cheap $100 guitar that I use to teach kids with, my GPS and my radar detector and other small stuff. My guitar is what hurts the most, being a musician and teacher :( Anyway, not looking for lectures as I know how stupid I am but just some anonymous sympathy I guess :eek:

You never think it'll happen to you until it does. Believe me, I've learned my lesson. Happen to anyone else?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Does auto insurance cover the theft? What about homeowner's or renter's?

Sorry this happened to you, I'll spare you the lecture about leaving **** in your car that is valuable to you.

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

That sucks. I am not going to lecture you because I normally top it in being stupid. Often times my car is left unlock at night. My parents have what we figure are some kids break into the unlocked cars and steal all the change from them. They got lucky because in my dad's car was his work laptop that got passed over.
    It happens. I would file a police report because you might get lucky and they will find your stuff in a pond shop.

4. einmusiker thread starter macrumors 68030

einmusiker

Geico isn't covering the guitar because I shouldn't have left it in there, which is obviously true. Lesson learned

5. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Bummer. Some of life's lessons are tougher that others. I feel for you. man. Hang in there.

6. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Do you have homeowner's or renter's insurance? One of those should cover it since it was personal property stolen while the car was at home.

7. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

What business is it of Geico's what you keep in there? If they are supposed to cover the contents of your car and you can prove the guitar was in there (not sure how but...) then they should cover it. It may be worth haggling with them a bit and looking through your policy paperwork. Bloody insurance companies. All too happy to take money and all too unhappy to pay out when you need it.

I'm sorry to hear it. That must be a real kick in the gut. No lectures but I'm betting you won't leave anything valuable in your car again. Hell, I even wipe off the residue left from the suction cups of the GPS on the window because I don't want thieves to think I left it in the car. (I never [ok, VERY rarely] do. Anyone who broke into our car would be hugely disappointed some 99% of the time.)

8. einmusiker thread starter macrumors 68030

einmusiker

well said and I will be OVERLY cautious here on. On the bright side.... A local person is going to sell me a beautiful instrument at a rock bottom price and he will be my new student as well :) I try to stay positive even when you get kicked in the nards :/

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Often times car insurance companies will not cover the contents inside a car. Normally it is on their policy for the full coverage ones. Reason for it is they can not have a known risk at the time of the policy is writen and they base it on the value of the car. The full coverage part of it will not cover damage item in the car.

If you are hit and items are damage that is another story. As for insurance best he can hope for is either homeowners or renters insurance covering it.

10. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

I never leave anything in sight in the car. Not even the holder of the GPS.

I'm sorry, but leaving a $2000 guitar in a car overnight was a very big mistake. How long have you been doing that?

I don't think it's likely that your insurance covers such items. Even if it will provide some coverage, I see no chance to get the whole value.

11. SlovakApple macrumors 6502

Yeah, tell me about it. Happened to me last year. Not so valuable stuff like yours (classic: wallet, debit cards but no PIN's, cell phone, iPod touch), but it hurt a lot after it. I felt like being the first who got things stolen but after some talk with school buddies I realized that I am not the first and for sure not the last. Learnt my lesson, now I do not leave stuff in the car except worthless junk.

12. snberk103 macrumors 603

Insurance - Bah! I once had a camera lense stolen out of luggage I had checked onto an airplane. Nothing too valuable, just a nice wide-angle (no room in the carry-on camera bag). I reported it at the luggage counter at the airport immediately (I looked in the bag soon as I got it back). I thought I would be OK as the value of the lense was within the liability limits. The clerk pointed out the "valuables not covered" clause - and explained that the definition of "valuable" was that if a luggage handler wanted it badly enough to take it, then it was "valuable". i.e. anything stolen by their employees was automatically excluded from coverage.

Yeah - I'm sorry to hear about it too. No body wants to come back to their car like that. Hope it all works out for you .....

13. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Mine got broken into recently as well. They already took the $30 stereo I had installed a few months ago, but that's because I was an idiot and didn't like my car. Funny thing about this one was I had a camera light and some audio cables in an Intel branded backpack in the back of the truck. They thought it was a computer, smashed the window to get it, realized there wasn't a computer in there, then left the $700 OF BEER, WINE, AND LIQUOR I had in the back of the truck from the wedding I was best man at the night before. I couldn't believe those morons didn't have a single drink on me!

But yeah, consider yours a lesson learned. I never leave anything in my car of value, and sometimes even leave it unlocked. I think one of these days I'm gonna camp out out back of my place with an unloaded shotgun, wait for those punk kids to come by and just cock the thing once or twice.

14. duncanapple macrumors 6502

Yeah, i learned my lesson similar to the backpack story above...

I was at a very busy mall in the middle of the day on Saturday. My wife (at the time girlfriend) left her make up bag on the floor of the car, under the dashboard. I didn't think twice about it, but to a thief it must have looked like a purse. I was just shocked though - besides being a very busy parking garage (prob 4-5 people within eyesight of my car at all times) they would have also had to be peering in each and every car window to see something like that (I was also parked against a wall, so it wasn't like they walked by and happened to notice).

I'm sure they were disappointed when they opened the bag - they left it on the ground next to the car door. They only thing they got away with was a ziplock bag of about $25 in change in my glove box i was going to take to the bank. The bigger loss was the $1500 in damage they did to the car to punch the lock. @$$h0les.

Also creepy is how many criminals probably walk by your car and peek into it every time you park. I would bet more times than we think. I doubt this was a coincidence and the lesson here is don't keep anything what so ever in your car. Besides tinted windows, my car literally doesn't have a single thing in view. The only thing that is even in the glove boxes is an iPhone charger and a flashlight. I hate criminals. Esp thieves.

15. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I'm too young to have a car but when someone stole my bike seat I was quite annoyed...:p

16. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

You are lucky that the didn't break the windows.

17. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Wait...what?????

Bicycles don't have Windows....and sometimes you have to assemble them after you get them so its more like Linux LOL

18. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

How could they afford to pay for your property when they have to pay for all their commercials?

/s

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

From Days Of Yore, I remember there is a limit for musical instruments, amoung other household items, like coin/stamp collections.

And a $2,000 guitar would have to be insured to value, at ~5% per year.

But that was 40 years ago. lol :eek:

20. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Haha, often though it's just the cheap ones you have to assemble :D

21. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

Truck broken into a few years back, lost iPod, radio, and a few other items.

I took solace in the fact that the creep cut himself during the break-in and left some blood behind.

22. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

Ugh I completely feel your pain... my girlfriend and I went to the gym last night just after work, parked in the well-lit, busy gym parking lot (which has security cameras), stuck her bag in the back of the car, under a pile of jackets, and came out 1.5 hours later to find the back window broken, and her bag with her work laptop in it gone. They left the GPS and other valuables, but it still was really really sucky.

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I hardly ever lock my car. Never been touched in 14 years. I guess I'm lucky.

24. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I will say have the car broken into is better than having your house broken into. While I was in Lubbock the house I was renting got broken into while my roommate and I were away for Christmas. It was unnerving go back there.
    Now what we lost was relatively minor compared to others in the area during that rash of break ends. Worse lost between us what my roommates DVD collection. Other wise it was all minor stuff. Each of us lost 20-30 DVD and our personal favorit is my roommates broken TV was stolen. A TV that we were going to carry to the dumpster when we got back. My TV was left alone.

It was still unnerving.
    Others in the area had their house trashed.

25. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

car insurance won't cover it. But if you have home owners or renters insurance they might cover it. You do have to weigh the option of filing a claim for $2k, and having your rates increase.

Think of this as an opportunity to get the guitar you really wanted :D

also start checking craigslist and local pawn shops, ebay, etc. It will probably show up pretty quickly.