Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kazakh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2009
Hi guys,

I was visiting California with my gf this past week, and just four hours before the plane decided to ride the cable car in SF. Parked my car, and went away for an hour or so. Came back - window broken, stuff gone from the trunk. It happened on Sat. night between 7pm and 8pm on Hyde and Bay.

I had two Gucci duffle bags, a black Targus backpack and a Samsonite roller suitcase stolen. I will pay $5,000 reward for return of the stuff.
It was mainly clothes (handbags, shoes etc), but also some jewelry and a women's Rolex watch.
Also, 13" Apple laptop that had a lot (2.5 years worth) of homework, family pictures, college graduation pictures. Also, about 3000 pictures from California alone (this was our first trip).
So many mistakes were made that led to this, but its gone now and I am trying to see what can be done.

I understand that this is a long shot, but if anyone by any chance heard or hears anything, saw or sees anything, or even HAS WAYS to find out anything about it, I would be willing to fly over to SF any day and pay $5,000 reward for the stolen stuff.

my email is adilka@gmail.com

also, I created a facebook page with that info hoping to get as many people as possible to look at it, so if you have a lot of friends on facebook in sf area and wouldn't mind sending them a message with a link - I would be very thankful.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/5000-reward-for-stolen-bags/208255785870236

Last edited:

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Oh man, that totally sucks. I hate to say it, but I don't think the odds are good that you will find your stuff. I hope your insurance will cover the loss.

kazakh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2009
thanks guys.
I know that odds are not that good, but I am hoping that a reward might help - even if I got contacted by the people who took it, I would just pay them to get the stuff back. It was just too much sentimental stuff on the computer, and a watch that was a present to my gf from her father.

If you guys can, please spread the word using facebook to any friends you might have in the area.

Someone must've seen something - it was a Sat. afternoon on a very live street. thank you all

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Hmm, my gf sort of works near that area. I'll keep my ears open, but if I were to hear/see anything it would be pure dumb luck. Any chance you had MobileMe on that Mac or have remote access to the machine? To maybe monitor the machine in use?

kazakh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2009
Hmm, my gf sort of works near that area. I'll keep my ears open, but if I were to hear/see anything it would be pure dumb luck. Any chance you had MobileMe on that Mac or have remote access to the machine? To maybe monitor the machine in use?

no, had mobileme but not activated. Apple said they can't do anything really since laptops do not have GPS modules inside.

Definitely mention to your girlfriend, see if she heard anything around, or can ask around. If I can find the stuff that I am looking for, I will pay $5,000 reward right away

kazakh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2009
can someone see if the facebook page works? I am really hoping to utilize facebook to get the word out, but that page has zero views, so Im not too sure if it works or not

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
no, had mobileme but not activated. Apple said they can't do anything really since laptops do not have GPS modules inside.

Definitely mention to your girlfriend, see if she heard anything around, or can ask around. If I can find the stuff that I am looking for, I will pay $5,000 reward right away

What about Dropbox? If you have that installed on your laptop you can use the web based Dropbox to see what the IP was of the last sync. Login to Dropbox go to Accounts page and the My Computers tab, you can hover over the blue "i" icon to show the last IP synced from. That could at least get you close to where your laptop was last used.

Last edited:

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
I've had the same thing happen to me just off of Van Ness. Stole a bunch of camera equipment in the trunk. It's gone! Probably already at a pawn shop. Try insurance to recover some costs, but some of that stuff is irreplaceable.

kazakh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2009
nope, cops didnt even mention prints.

i did file a report, but was told that it is so unlikely to catch these people.

my only hope is that it had a lot of expensive stuff, including rolex watch, so it might be talked about around. thats why I am really trying to get the word out to see if someone would be willing to take the reward for info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.