Car buying advice

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, May 2, 2009.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

2009 Dodge Caliber sxt 1.8L 5 speed or a 2009 Dodge Avenger Se

The only thing that bothers me about the Avenger is its only automatic.

2. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Neither. I'd never let myself own an American car and looking at Dodge's website they're showing me exactly why.

The styling is horrible - I don't want a car with such an aggressive looking, lorry like front end. The interior is bland and looks like it's made of cheap, tacky plastics and of course, both are going to get terrible fuel economy. Why on earth is the minimum engine in the avenger 2.4L? You don't need any more than 1.8L in a car of that size.

If I had to choose between the two you mentioned I'd go for the Avenger because I will never, ever buy one of those ridiculous van things. They are totally different cars, surely your needs will dictate which one you buy?

3. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I like the avenger styling more so.

My friend has one and the 2.4 feels and sounds saaaaweeeeet.

good luck

4. danny_w macrumors 601

Neither. I will never, ever buy another Chrysler product as long as I live. I used to be a huge Chrysler fan, and my dad even sold Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge for a while there. Even then (70's) I had to admit they had terrible quality control problems, but I thought they had gotten better by the time I bought my wife a 2002 PT Cruiser (I wanted her to get a Civic but she didn't like it). Squeaks and rattles set in immediately, the rear windows got to where they wouldn't stay up, and then the transmission went out just after the warranty was out. They had started the 7yr/70k mile powertrain warranty about 2 months after we bought ours and wouldn't help at all. Every little repair on the car cost far more than it should because of the way everything was so packed together; replacing the engine fan cost about $800 last year. The last straw was when the timing belt broke and it was a $1000 repair job. We recently traded it for a 2009 Scion xD and my wife absolutely loves it, and we all wonder why we didn't do this sooner. I wish Chrysler well in their Fiat partnership but I will never buy another one.

EDIT: She is getting 35+ mpg in this car overall (the EPA rating is 27/35)! I can't wait to take a trip in it to see how it does with all highway driving.

5. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

When choosing between these two, it depends on your needs. The Avenger looks better, and will be more powerful, since it has a bigger engine. The drawback is it is more expensive. The Caliber will have more cargo room and is cheaper. If you routinely carry big cargo like bikes, musical equipment, etc, it may be the better choice.

6. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I know you are sincerely looking for honest advice but it would seem like you are starting this from a bit of a losing position to begin with as I'm not really sure if there are many people would buy either of your choices--I for one would not.

Although I do like your preference for a 5-sp manual--that part of the first choice I do like.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Neither. I'd rather buy a car knowing the company who makes it will be around in 5 years.

8. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Neither. As someone has already said. I just cannot make myself buy a Chrysler product because of its quality (or lack thereof) and design. The only thing I am interested in their product line up is the Dodge Viper. That's it.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't like the styling of either car. The Dodge Caliber is on my shortlist of "Ugliest Car" on the market today. It's definitely one of my top 3.

The Dodge Avenger is only an average amount of ugly. It's not hideous like the Caliber, but it's not pretty, either.

I don't know how they drive, so I can't comment. Certainly they'd both drive OK.

The only great thing about those cars is the price. :) Chrysler is, IMO, the most hopeless of the Detroit's "Medium 3", so you're bound to get a fantastic deal on a new one. Also, a lot of people's experiences with Chrysler is from cars they remember from 5 years ago, or longer. Apparently, many of the cars built by GM and Ford (possibly Chrysler as well?) have improved over the last few years, once it was obvious they were getting into some trouble.

10. ElectroGhandi macrumors regular

ElectroGhandi

I think it's very noble and responsible of you to buy an American car. :) However, I wouldn't pick either of those cars. If you want something sporty looking for Chrysler, look at the Jeep Compass. It's 5 speed Manual too :D

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

So you're saying anyone who buys a foreign car is irresponsible? :rolleyes:

I think spending that kind of money on a reliable car that won't break down and need thousands of dollars of repairs in a few years is responsible. Where the car was built is irrelevant.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You can buy lots of Chryslers built in Canada, but you can also buy a lot of Toyota and Hondas built in Canada as well. I wouldn't feel guilty buying a Honda, to be honest.

If you want a good deal, I don't see a problem with going with a Ford or GM. I'm not confident about Chrysler, but perhaps someone more knowledgeable about their cars would argue otherwise.

If you buy a Chrysler, feel good that you got a good deal. ;)

13. ElectroGhandi macrumors regular

ElectroGhandi

It's responsible for the economy. The more American cars you buy, the less money we have to give the auto companies from our tax dollars.

14. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

We had a Caliper as a loaner when my Grand Cherokee was on the shop.

It was slow, loud, uncomfortable, and ugly as hell. I don't know much about the other car but chryslers are kown for having poor a/c systems and transmissions.

15. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

16. Love macrumors 68000

Love

Neither. Chrysler is an unbelievably unappealing choice to me right now. I'd definitely buy a Honda Fit over a Dodge Caliber.

17. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

You seem to have spelt Challenger wrong twice!

Go for a Dodge Challenger!

18. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

If American car companies actually made decent cars maybe people would want to buy them. You should buy a car because it's good quality and you've decided it's the right car for you, not because it's your patriotic duty or to help the economy, or any bollocks like that. During a recession the 'sick and the lame' of companies are flushed out and the stronger ones survive. Think of it as economic natural selection. If the American car companies want to survive then they need to learn how to make quality automobiles. So far they haven't been able to do that.

19. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

Save you money for the Ultimate Driving Machine... A Bayerische Motoren Werke vehicle.

We shouldn't have to give them any money in the first place. They've been building junk for years and will continue to do so if we keep handing them money. I can't believe you would even consider that "responsible".

20. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

21. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Sweeping statement. I doubt the BMWs or Nissans or Toyotas on sale in dealers here are made in the US :rolleyes:.

22. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

did you read the article?

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, I wouldn't buy either one of them.

24. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

He already added a condition (i.e., "most") in his statement. According to the article, his statement isn't wrong, so......what's the problem?

Anyway, next time I buy a car, I'll support the economy by purchasing any car that's made over here, mkay? ;) I want to support the economy, but at the same time, I don't want to buy s***.

Good, because the Caliber looks like the remains of a coat-hanger abortion.

[​IMG]

Please, just pick a Ford or GM car. Surely there are deals to be had from those companies.

25. Frisco macrumors 68020

American cars last about 50K miles before needing new engines and transmissions. Japanese cars last around 300K miles before needing new engines or transmissions.

So basically you can buy 6 American cars or 1 Japanese car to get to 300K miles. What would you choose :confused: