Car Integration??

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by BG-Mac, Sep 23, 2007.

1. BG-Mac macrumors 6502

I have a 2005 Land Rover LR3 and it does have an AUX/IN in which I can connect my iPod/iPhone via headphone jack. I am wondering if there is any product on the market that will allow me to connect, charge, and answer phone calls from my iPhone. I would like to be able to listen to music, but when a call comes in it would beep and allow me to swith it over. If you know of anything please let me know. Thanks!

2. cmschmidt macrumors 6502

3. BG-Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Ha..If only it were that easy. I've searched/looked everywhere, no luck, just hoping someone knows of something I haven't thought of.

4. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

i don't know of one system that will do everything you asked, but maybe there are a couple of things that might add up to do what you want.

can you get a land rover bluetooth system installed? i see from land rover's site that there is such a system. that would add the calling functionality through your car's speaker system. then, you could add something like a dice ipod/iphone integration kit. unfortunately, it doesn't look like dice doesn't make anything that's compatible with land rovers. but, there may be similar kits available from other manufacturers that are compatible.

that's pretty much the set-up in my bmw - i have the built-in bluetooth system that allows me to dial and receive calls through the stereo system and speakers. i have the oem ipod kit that connects my iphone (or ipod) directly to my stereo to listen to music. when a call comes in, the music stops and the bluetooth connection takes over. and it charges my iphone too.

if you can't find anything, i think that would be a perfect excuse to get a new car to get the iphone functionality you want. ;)

5. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

If you can find an old denison icelink, that would be a good look. Or, the Harmon Kardon Drive+Play - it worked fine with my iPhone.

Edit, no way are you going to find something with call support. Those are just music and charge.

6. cmschmidt macrumors 6502

hmm...i did a search for "car".....just "car" and got at least 3 threads with people talking about their car integration solutions/lack thereof...odd.

7. bbydon macrumors 6502a

My god just help the guy out and give him the link.

8. BG-Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha...Thanks. I just bought a Proclip mount for my center console. And i'm thinking of trying the Belkin Auto-Kit with the line-out and dock connector (the one that plugs into the ciggarette lighter) This will play music and charge my iPhone, but does anyone know what will happen when a call comes in?? Will the music fade out and allow me to answer the call?? Thanks again for the help...

9. bbydon macrumors 6502a

The proclip mount is great, its the best mount in my opinion...but you can't use a case with it unless its the adjustable one.

I don't have that connector, i have a pac 11 amp (specific for my car) that i got off of crutchfield.com.
    I had to install it behind my radio. But it works great! Mine tells me this is not for the iphone then wants me to go into airport mode but decline that.

When a call comes it it will do just like it does normally and quite the music and show who is calling. then you can just hit speaker on the phone and it will come through the speakers in the car.
    I don't know if it gets an echo effect but no one has complained yet. (or just dont want to tell me). I also get an odd speaker feedback thing that last a second every once and a while...this is from the phone GSM. Not much you can about it unless you put it in airport mode.

As far as the belkin one goes buy it from a place that has a good return policy.... not all the connectors are working with the iphone.

good luck hopefully someone on the board has the one you got and can let you know how it is.

10. BG-Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone know how the Belkin Auto-Kit handles phone calls??

11. zapp macrumors regular

zapp

I have the belkin in my car. It is connected through a aftermarket aux/in ting to my factory radio. I have it connected to a proclip 5g 30Gb holder so the dock connector is permanently attached. When you drop the phone in the dock it comes up with the warning about not being designed to work with the iPhone. When a call comes in it turns he music off, and rings over the speakers. when you answer it goes through the internal speaker, bluetooth, or headset. I didn't think about putting it on speaker. The annoying thing is the feedback from the GSM signal through the radio. Whenever it checks mail it buzzes a little, but when a call comes in it really howls.

12. thirdeyeopen666 macrumors 6502

thirdeyeopen666

http://www.seidioonline.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=811

I'm getting one today. Will let you know if it works as I hope it will.

13. liberty4all Guest

liberty4all

14. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

If you pick up an Apple BT headset for a buck and change you should be good. problem solved.

• use whatever means you want to connect your iPhone audio to your car stereo. Headphone jack or Dock connector.

• When a call comes in it goes straight to your BT headset everytime

If your looking at car connections solutions I would try cerulean TX + RX. I've read that it is compatible with iPhone, the audio quality is good if not great, and it doesn't require A2DP support. Which pretty much means your iPhone will be playing music through your car speakers as long as your within a reasonable distance of your car :) . I happen to hate wires myself.

15. chaseerry macrumors member

I have searched and searched and all i want to know is...If i install a cd deck WITH aux input into my vehicle, will i be able to listen to my iPhone via a "headphone jack to aux input" cable? Or do i need some sort of preamp/power such as the Pioneer CD-IB00II in order to do this. Thanks.

16. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

If its a standard Aux input (either RCA, composite, 1.8 or 3.5mm jack kinda like the one on the iPhone) then it's just plug & play.

I would imagine 99% if not 100% of Headunits like the one you point out require absolutely Zero preamp/power. The headunit mfg. might even advise you against doing so as it may damage the Headunit.

17. chaseerry macrumors member

So this simple Pioneer deck would work great? ( http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/product/details/0,,2076_310069880_335159650,00.html )

All i need is to buy the deck, and a headphone to aux cable and i am good to go?

18. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

yah. that deck in your link has a headphone jack right on the face of the deck. Couldn't get much easier to hook up any iPod or iPhone or any portable mp3 player/cd device with a headphone jack.

19. chaseerry macrumors member

One more quick question. Is there interference/noise while using this setup (deck with aux input to iphone) WITHOUT having Airplane mode turned on?
    I've read some have this problem, and others don't. Of course they don't state what setup they actually have. Thanks.

20. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

your going to get interference noise from the cell phone signals in a variety of methods of trying to hook up your iPhone to any pair of speakers. ... Sometimes the iPhone doesn't even have to be hooked up to the speakers at all and you still hear crackling and hums when your iPhone recieves or transmits signals. Unfortunately i have not found a way to avoid this.

But if you are referring to line noise? well, you should only going to get line noise is IF:

whatever powersource (car charger for ex) you have your iPhone hooked up to is NOT grounded to the same grounding cable that your Head unit is grounded to.

Many people seem to be perplexed at why their Car charger/iPod connectors produce line noise when hooked up to their iPods... it's not the manufacturers fault. You just have to ground your power source properly. in this case the cigarette lighter plug should be grounded with your head unit to the same place.

21. MacToddB macrumors 6502a

MacToddB

Parrot BT

I don't have a solution for music but I had a Parrot unit installed from Circuit City and it works like a charm. When a call comes in, the radio mutes and the call goes through the car speakers. (if the radio is off, it still routes the call through the speaker). I have mine set to auto-answer so it's truly hands-free. There's a microphone that Circuit City installed near the visor. The unit I have syncs the address book with the iPhone so you can dial from the Parrot unit, and it also shows caller ID. It's supposed to support voice dial (even though the iPhone doesn't) and photo caller ID.

I have the 3400 GPS model, which can actually act as a Bluetooth GPS antenna, so a PC or smartphone with the right software can pickup the GPS location! I tried it with my Nokia e62 (you know, the 'crippled one' Steve Jobs referred to, almost a year ago) and it worked! Maybe someday the iPhone will have BT-GPS capability...Google Maps would be cool.

Full disclosure: I write for a little computer magazine, so Parrot sent me the unit free for review. But I did have to pay (about $100) for Circuit City to install it. On that issue, it was a little flaky...power would cut out. They tightened things up, no charge, and now it works 100%.

Here's the non-GPS version...about $180:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Parr...85613/catOid/-13100/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

22. slick316 macrumors 6502

I am currently working on figuring out if the Harman Kardon Drive and Play 2 (http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/dp2-1.aspx) will do what you are saying.

I have it hooked up in my car right now. The iPhone says "unsupported device" when I connect it to the D&P2, but all I have to do is hit "NO" to airplane mode and it works just fine with the D&P2 as far as charging and iPod functionality goes.

The D&P2 also works as a handsfree phone setup, but it requires an extra module (which I am sure includes a mic) to work. The module is currently not available. Once it is, I am going to get it and try it out.

It would be really nice if I can just plug in my iPhone to the D&P2, have it charge the iPhone, allow me to play whatever music I have on it (shows album art also on the D&P2 display) and then pause the music and let me answer the phone (handsfree of course).

I will definitely be posting a new thread if I can get this to work.

23. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

I don't get why you would want to use the Harmon Kardon unit as a replacement (middle man )interface for an already user friendly one (the iPhone)

If you plug in the Audio out from the iPhone to audio in on your radio it plays. I think I missing something here. perhaps a feature the Harmon kardon unit has that I overlooked?

What I dont get is that with the harmon Kardon unit you're basically putting your iPhone in a glove box and using Harmon's gimped version of a control UI? No album art...no video... etc.

24. stephankrasner macrumors newbie

I did a lot of research on car integration a few weeks back and here are the only options that actually work:

1. KCA-iP500 (from Kenwood) - This is a little black box that you install directly into any kenwood head unit (even OEM headunits from car companies that are branded by Kenwood). You can control the iPhone with the remote and the song tracks scroll across the face of the headunit. It has a generous cord length so you can make calls even when it's plugged in.

The one drawback to this device is that if it's plugged into the system you MUST use the headunit or remote to control it. The iphone automatically blocks access to the iPod section of the iphone. Besides this, it works perfectly while connected, you can view maps, make phone calls and take photos. This was also the cheapest option. It cost me about $40 on Amazon.

2. DLO Transdock (or transdock micro) - This is an FM transmitter, and the only one that I tested that actually works good with the iphone. It has a nice built in cradle that charges and transmits and Unlike the kenwood ipod integrator you can freely control the ipod section directly from the iphone screen. It also has numerous other features like USB in and Auxillary in/out. This means you can integrate any other device that has a headphone jack. And you can pipe out video to your car's video system if you have one.

The drawback to this device, is that you have to rely on FM signal unless you have an auxillary in on your car or an rca adapter in the back of your headunit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

I happen to own a similar deck and have used the KPC-i500 also. In my sincere opinion the existence of that product is a joke, and a poorly made device overall. I returned it because I didn't like the fact that I had to shove my iPod/iPhone in the glove box, and the Headunit display and controls were horrible in comparison to the ones on my mp3 player.

I ended up purchasing the one below. The sound quality is = KPC-i500 and I'm not just saying that to say it. I have no choice but to be picky about the audio quality with a 3500 watt sound system installed. + you get to keep your iPod/iPhone as the control interface it was meant to be.

Alpine units:
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9706_Alpine+KCA-121B.html
    [​IMG]

Kenwood units:
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_8032_PAC+AAI-KENW.html
    [​IMG]