Car Mounts?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by SChaput, Jul 18, 2008.

1. SChaput macrumors regular

I was looking into car mounts that were compatible with iphone 3g. Since it has only been out for a week there might not be an abundance of options to choose from but the one i did find was this, http://store.everythingicafe.com/igrip-universal-fit-sturdy-swivel-mount/3A78A1741.htm
    I liked this one because it would allow me to tilt the phone sideways to use features like gps and cover flow, but also allow me to use the phone in a straight up position.
    I was just wondering if anyone had used this particular cradle before, or if anyone had any other opinions.
    Thanks.

2. bmms8 macrumors 68020

hey i ordered that mount from iphoniacs. i believe they are the same company though since their site looks the same. it came, and it was nice, but it was just a little to bulky for my car. the suction cup and product itself was great though. i was thinking of exchanging it with the vent mount from igrip.. but members said they went to best buy and got the vent mount from there which is only $10. so i picked that one up.

3. SChaput thread starter macrumors regular

4. bmms8 macrumors 68020

that is the one from igrip. the company that BB sells is bracketron. this is what they sell.. http://www.bracketron.com/main/index.php?catid=6&pid=20

overall i like it, it does have have padded sides. the black plastic from the mount rubbed onto my phone the first couple times but its fine now. i do not believe it turns sideways. if that is a truly must have go for the igrip... i just needed something quick and i couldn't wait over a week for shipping from Florida.

5. SChaput thread starter macrumors regular

Alright..thank you for the quick responses.
    I think i might just wait a few weeks and see what other companies develop for mobile uses. I'm sure someone will come out with something if or when turn by turn directions become more evident.

6. bmms8 macrumors 68020

i haven't been following the gps maps threads that much, but doesn't one have to JB their phone to get those apps or am i missing something?

btw, i am not to sure if the igrip mount rotates anyways.

7. SChaput thread starter macrumors regular

well the 3g iphone has GPS capabilities to an extent, however the turn by turn directions are being left up to 3rd party application developers.

Quoted from the site and i take that to mean as it can rotate to the left or right, allowing landscape mode, but i could be wrong.

8. bmms8 macrumors 68020

o no, that only means that you can adjust the arms of the mount. there are two adjustable arms above the base. it is just like a gps navigation mount if you have seen one. to my knowledge it does not rotate though.

i could have swore i saw a mount that does rotate though. i just have no idea where i saw it. it might have been a case though.

9. SChaput thread starter macrumors regular

Ohh yea that is a very could possibility to what they mean by that.
    Yea i was planning on putting invisibleshield or bodyguardz on my phone so a cradle i got would have to be adjustable i think.
    Im sure in a few weeks or so some company will come out with some products that are exactly what im looking for.

10. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

Brodit do a Tilt Swivel mount for the (original) iPhone + car specific Mounting Platform. Still waiting for them to come up with one for the 3G, or some sort of confirmation that this one will hold the iPhone 3G.

[​IMG]

I currently have a Brodit mount for my current non-iPhone phone, and love it. ;-)

11. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

The vent mount would not be great for turn by turn when you have to look at the screen for a quick second.

12. bmms8 macrumors 68020

really? i thought the total opposite haha. only because the dash mount in my car has to go above the radio which is a farther distance from my face. the vent mount is pretty close to my face and the viewing angle is less. i guess it depends on the car.

13. xavpil macrumors newbie

I like the vent mount but....

what about the AC blasting on the phone in summer, and the heat in winter?
    Isn't that an issue?

14. Penguinwrangler macrumors regular

I can't tell from the photos, does this mount cover the bottom of the iPhone? In other words, can you plug in a charger while it's in the bracket?

15. bmms8 macrumors 68020

yes i use my power jolt with it. the support really comes from the sides. the bottom has a very small piece at the bottom to hold the iphone. it is only on one wing as well.

16. woodbutcher macrumors regular

woodbutcher

Seidio makes some very nice hardshell cases, some of the thinest. They also sell a car kit that allows you to use the case as well. It is a lot higher priced then the ones you linked, but it has audio out, and has a charger built in.

http://www.seidioonline.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=CK17SIPHC06

I am sure the 3g cases and car kits will be soon

17. Kepesk macrumors member

Does anyone know of a good adjustable mount? I want one that I can use with my iPhone, but my brother can also use for his iPod.

18. InTheAir macrumors regular

I just bought a vent mount from BestBuy for $10.99 and installed it. I'm quite happy that is:

-- is NOT bulky
    -- is strong, both in the vent clip and the phone retention
    -- hold the iPhone WITH an Agent18 case installed

Wish it had?

-- The ability to swivel about a vertical axis. But, I'd rather have it small, so I can give up a swivel feature.

Very nice and very happy with it.

19. jwflutterby macrumors regular

I have always bought from ProClip (looks like the same as Brodit) www.proclipusa.com. They are a bit pricey but solid and do not require any drilling... You pick your device (they do have an adjustable one if you pick first gen iPhone as the device, my husband has the iPhone specific one he got for his original iPhone and the 3G is a tight squeeze but do-able) and you car and you get a perfect fit... I'll snap some pics of the one in my car now and post later... It does sit in front of my vent, but I just close that vent and I have not had any device issues in the 3 years I have been using it for my Treos/Centro...

20. cronked macrumors newbie

Belkin Tunebase FM

I just got the Belkin Tunebase FM (part #F8Z183). It was $100 but it was worth it. It says it works with iPhone. It also happens to work with iPhone 3G perfectly. It charges it and transmits the music to my stereo. I really like the mount personally. It sticks out of your cigarette lighter and has a flexible arm so you can rotate it if you like. FM transmission is tough since I live in the city. I'll get a very clear signal for a while and then there will be static. This unit also has a line out where you can attach a cassette tape adapter. I may do that. But this is a very nice unit. It holds your iPhone in place really well. If you are shopping around for an FM Transmitter and are interested in this one, make sure you are looking at part #F8Z183. There are earlier versions that look identical with different part numbers. I do not know if these older versions work with iPhone 3G or not.

21. SChaput thread starter macrumors regular

22. w00tme macrumors member

i bought the $5 gooseneck windshield mount off of ebay. i think its the first thing that comes up if you search for iphone mount (sold by eforcity... it is funny how he sells the same thing under different names and prices.). it was 5 dollars shipped, so i still it was a deal even though it didn't work too well.

i just tried it out and it seemed to work very well... except when you start moving. i drive an average car (a 2003 honda civic), and while driving, the phone shakes pretty badly due to the car vibrations. it also comes with a vent attachment that i have not tried yet.

i really wanted a gooseneck mount to have the phone closer to me, so i'm hoping someone could chime in with a product with an EXTRA FIRM GOOSENECK! :p

the one posted above me looks promising... but maybe someone else can be the guinea pig!

23. slapple macrumors 6502

I was thinking that the heat/AC blasting on the iPhone would be a good thing. Apple says the operating temperature is 32° to 95° F. Frequently in the winter it's colder than freezing, so the heat blasting against it would keep it in that range, and frequently in the summer the inside of the car feels like its over 100 degrees, so the AC blasting against it would also keep it in that range. But I could be wrong. :)

24. slapple macrumors 6502

I'm looking at this iGrip vent mount:

http://www.igrip.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=49_1_403_572&products_id=15

It says it is rotatable, so that means you can use the iPhone in landscape mode. But I wonder how does it hold the iPhone? Are the sides made of a soft material, and you just have to squeeze the sides together? I wonder if there is a chance that the iPhone could fall out if you put it in landscape mode.

And I also wonder if you can tilt the mount up and down. It would suck if the iPhone was facing up too much and there was no way to tilt it down.

25. acidburn517 macrumors newbie