CarPlay Car Play - Which Map/Nav?

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by wba1990, Oct 3, 2018.

1. wba1990 macrumors regular

wba1990

Just curious for those that have CarPlay in their vehicles, with Google and Waze now supported, along with Apple Maps, what do you use as your main go to navigation and why?

2. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68020

Bazooka-joe

3. CTHarrryH macrumors 68000

Apple Maps - Google doesn't integrate with appointments etc so it doesn't show destinations that are in my calendar etc. It is also missing, at least where I am, any location details other than gas stations. Google is prettier but just doesn't do the job.

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Apple Maps. Do everything I need. Only annoyance is it deciding where I should be going based on time of day/week and previous activity. Also decided to name a local Bus terminus as "Toilets" :)

5. dallardice macrumors regular

Google Maps - Apple Maps isn't reliable enough for POIs for me yet in my country. Also just back from a driving holiday and Google Maps offline map download was invaluable as I was travelling in areas without LTE coverage (and saved data when I was in range)

6. mritech macrumors member

Waze - tells you hazards on the roads, red light cameras, cops, and takes you away from traffic way better and before google maps could.

It also will use you’re contacts if you have their addresses in the contact info in you’re phone.

As far as calendar appointments I don’t remember as I don’t usually go many places I don’t know or when I usually will use navigation I’m not tied to a schedule and it’s spur of the moment

I still use Waze even if I know where I’m going just for the reasons mentioned in the first paragraph

7. Spankey macrumors 6502a

Apple Maps - More POI's shown, cleaner view of roads, best lane assist. Google Maps has potential and finding always finds a destination Maps has trouble with.

8. Cheesybugger macrumors newbie

Cheesybugger

Using waze more at the moment. I like the speed limit/camera warnings etc

9. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Apple Maps for me. It works very well for me. Also I'm weaning off using Google services as much as possible and don't want Goggle knowing/collecting/selling info about everything I do.

10. CTHarrryH macrumors 68000

Well I found a reason to run Google - I was going to someplace in Maine that I hadn't visited before - Apple apparently doesn't know that this town exists - it showed all the streets but not the town when I searched for it. Google Maps did know the town but even with that the arrow showing where I was sometimes drifted off the actual road. This wasn't way out in the wilderness but ..
    So that is a reason to run Google even though I hate to.

11. montycat macrumors 6502

montycat

I’m trying out Google maps on CarPlay. So far I still prefer Apple Maps. I like the way it interacts with Siri and my AW. The satellite view on Google Maps looks great at times. Does Google Maps display the posted speed limits? I don’t see any option for that.

12. 770yd macrumors newbie

770yd

Same here. Waze is awesome!
    --- Post Merged, Oct 7, 2018 ---
    No. You’ll need Waze for that

13. Remington Steel macrumors member

I like the satellite view on Google Maps and it has all my previous destinations stored so it is my default go to.

14. wba1990 thread starter macrumors regular

wba1990

117D5B66-CC87-4760-B2E0-C09C5994FE50.png
    Does anyone know how I can move the speed from the right side to the left so it’s not hidden behind the directions?

15. Cheesybugger macrumors newbie

Cheesybugger

System settings on your Carplay head unit. Set it for Left hand drive car. I guess they forgot about right hand drive cars when they developed the app.

16. wba1990 thread starter macrumors regular

wba1990

Any idea where I locate the system settings in the CarPlay head unit?
    I can’t seem to see it anywhere?

17. Cheesybugger macrumors newbie

Cheesybugger

18. wba1990 thread starter macrumors regular

wba1990

Cheers mate, dont think I can do it from looking on my unit as mines built into my Seat car and not one ive had installed, hopefully a Waze update comes out to rectify it

19. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

Google owns Waze and they both run from the same NAV and traffic data. Waze and Google Maps have identical rerouting.

Google Maps is the grown-up version of Waze without the cartoonish UI and social features. For NAV and rerouting they perform identically.

20. Tibits macrumors 6502

This is incorrect.

21. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

No, it’s not. The core navigation and turn by turn of Google Maps and Waze are the same. The difference is the crowdsourced features which are dubious at best, often sending users on some very obscure backroads to save a minute.

Waze has ads which are a dealbreaker.

22. Cheesybugger macrumors newbie

Cheesybugger

I’ve never seen an advert whilst using Waze with CarPlay? I’ve not used it on my phone so don’t know if they show ads on there but I would be very surprised if Apple allowed adverts on a CarPlay screen.

23. Tibits macrumors 6502

Obviously just a hater who hasn’t actually used Waze much.

24. Hookemfins macrumors 6502

Hookemfins

I mainly use Maps now. The annoying pop ups dictation where it thinks I want to go are gone.

All three have their quirks and give weird directions. Maps shows business in the area where Google Maps doesn't and Waze shows 1-2. I find that Waze is the last to show when congestion has cleared. I have witnessed this a few times. Since there is user input on Waze, I think that there is some data manipulation. False reports may be sent out leading to longer delays there really are. That is just speculation on my part from observation made.

I mainly use Maps. Despite what I said above, as a fall back I use Waze.

25. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

I have no reason to hate Waze. I've used it and simply prefer Google Maps. Doesn't change the fact that Waze and Google Maps use identical sets of GPS and traffic data with Waze adding crowdsourced information atop this. And, in my experience, Waze will send me and my family members into bad neighborhoods, service roads, and backroads to save me sixty seconds and its just not worth the risk.