Carnouba wax instead of a case?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by badgerman, Jul 15, 2008.

1. badgerman macrumors 6502a

Ok so I was detailing my car at the weekend with Carnouba P21s wax and was admiring how glassy and solid it feels after, also how it seems to protect against stone chips etc?

SO, do you think I could detail up my 3G to have a few nice invisable layers of wax, still have a responsive screen and have it more water resistant, but not slip out of my hand like a bar of soap?

Or am I being a mentalist and just wait till full body films release a 3G version?

2. ElecEagle macrumors member

yeah ...that.

3. illutionz macrumors 65816

Bodyguardz already have their 3G version

4. badgerman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yep, but wanted the full body films as its IS on the back and PS (x2) on the front.

5. illutionz macrumors 65816

Yes, I used Bodyguardz for the full body film for original iPhone and I preordered the Bodyguardz for 3G around last week
    Price = $25 for 2 pairs of front and back films :rolleyes:

6. View macrumors regular

The back of the phone, maybe but not the glass screen I don't think.

As for the full body film, Invisible Shield also has their available for the iPhone 3G

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Wait for the full body film. Wax is generally meant to provide a small margin of protection of a paint finish against weather and the elements. And I would hope you don't plan on leaving your iPhone out in the rain. Wax will keep the finish shiny, but the water will short out the internals.

And stone chips are a different scenario from what the iPhone will encounter with use. Wax does permit small particles to slip easily off the surface without causing damage. But it can't protect much against, say, car keys, sharp objects or impact strikes.

A full body skin like Invisible Shield or BSE, on the other hand, provides a much thicker and more permanent layer of protection.

8. slicecom macrumors 68020

I remember using Brasso to polish out scrates from my 3rd gen iPod and it worked flawlessly. I wonder if the same thing will work on iPhone?

9. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

I use the same wax on my Black Lincoln Mark VIII. I'd stay away from the wax on phone though.
    That's how I feel about my car. Anal I am.

10. mkoesel macrumors regular

Wax provides a good protection against the elements but I think it may break down quickly in contact with the oils and sweat from your skin, leaving you with a greasy, slimey phone.

11. Surely Guest

Surely

I say do it. Post some pics as to how it turns out, Daniel-son.

[​IMG]

12. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

Yup....mine is on a Fed Ex Truck somewhere around this area...scheduled to be delivered today.

I would say that would be true. I would think the heat from your hand and the phone itself would be enough to make the wax soften up and start relocating across the surface of the phone.

Of course...I have no real experience dealing with wax at all. If you're comfortable with applying it then perhaps it's worth a shot.

13. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

Cheers for the info, I saw the Bodyguardz video and I want one for my phone now but is there anywhere in the UK I can get these? the postage that they want (for a flat package!) is between $16 to $49!!!

14. cdinca macrumors 6502

Yes Please! Put wax on it. Please post pictures.

15. illutionz macrumors 65816

Cheers!! I love this phrase... I am in Dublin now and everywhere I go everyone said Cheers :D

Anyhow, I do not know how to get it in UK except paying a very expensive shipping fees. Or you might be able to get one off ebay.co.uk from UK based seller maybe??

Just my 0.02

16. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

I never understood those things like invisible shield and things. That water solution they make u spray on the sticker doesn't that some times seep into the phone and can cause damage.

17. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

wax on. wax off. repeat.

18. themiracle macrumors regular

Do Bodyguardz and Invisible shield have anything over the BestSkinsEver ones? I've used both and they seem identical. The BSE is like 1/5 the price and is actually on sale right now.

19. WoodwardsFriend macrumors member

Generally speaking car waxes and polishes provide little if any protective benefit to plastic surfaces. I know this because I jockeyed a resgister at a car wash through high school. Also those little tree air freshners are marked up like 400% and don't really work anyway.

20. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Carnauba wax is the best natural wax but it not suitable for the iPhone. Like all natural waxes heat causes it to yellow and become soft it will then easily rub off. You would be much better using a polymer base like Zaino.

21. badgerman thread starter macrumors 6502a

hmm, not sure I have the balls to do it incase it goes tits up, but for those saying about the heat, I know my bonnet (thats the hood to you statesiders) gets v hot especially in direct sunlight and that doesnt effect the wax, i hope my hand or pocket does not get that hot.

I may practice on my now defunct firewire dock...

22. drpellypo macrumors 6502

Wrong substrate! Wax, and polymer type stuff will not bond to plastic and/or glass, only metal. Trust me, I run a detailing company!

23. interesting macrumors member

You realize that metal is covered in paint. Unless it's a Delorean.

24. badgerman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, will wait for a film then.

BTW, I used a quik clay bar on my car for the first time before the wax, was amazed by the results both visually and physically, it feels like glass.

25. badgerman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actually my plastic bumpers also come up a treat with wax?