• Carpet

Votes: 12 11.8%

• Total voters

Gonzo3333

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2009
Chicago, IL
I just want to get an idea of what people prefer, carpet of hardwood floors. I just ripped out some old nasty carpet that is in the apartment that I am moving into in a few weeks. My personal preference is hardwood floors, I just think carpet anywhere is kind of gross, you can never get it completely clean.

Gonzo3333

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2009
Chicago, IL
The carpet that I pulled up last night was in the apartment for at least 10 years without any kind of care or vacuuming. The worst part is whoever painted the place before the carpet was in didn't use any drop cloths. There is paint all over the beautiful hardwood floor. I was thinking of cleaning it by hand but that will take forever. I think I am going to rent a floor sander and sand away the paint.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Both. We have hardwood/laminate in the main areas of the house and carpet in the bedrooms. The carpet does help when you have little ones who are crawling and learning to walk.

velocityg4

macrumors 601
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I too prefer hardwood over carpeting for the cleaning reason. That said I prefer ceramic or stone tile over both. Since you can slop it with a mop and not worry about damaging the floor as with hardwood, I also prefer the look. Between stone and ceramic the choice is tough as stone looks better but ceramic can withstand just about any cleaning agent while stone can be damaged by some.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Wait - this vote is about flooring? Gotta change my vote from carpet. :p

I hear you. Very disappointing thread. :D

I have Brazillian cherry floors in kitchen, living room and dining room and carpet in bedrooms.

dmr727

macrumors G3
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I've always been a fan of hardwood, but a carpet can be a good change of pace if it's kept short and neat.

cantthinkofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2004
Missouri, USA
Hardwood...BUT...Not the cheap stuff. It will warp, scratch, creek, etc. Pergo is the way to go. I'd put hardwood (when i build my house) in the entry way, dinning room, and thats about it. Everywhere else good carpet and linoleum.

Hardwood is hard to maintain here in Missouri. Humidity gets up to 90-100% during the summer and temps average 85F May through early September.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
The carpet that I pulled up last night was in the apartment for at least 10 years without any kind of care or vacuuming. The worst part is whoever painted the place before the carpet was in didn't use any drop cloths. There is paint all over the beautiful hardwood floor. I was thinking of cleaning it by hand but that will take forever. I think I am going to rent a floor sander and sand away the paint.
Please, you think that's bad? The carpet I pulled out of my apartment was at least twice as old, over ****** peel-n-stick linoleum, and had been the dog's room. :mad:

It was ****ing disgusting.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I have Brazillian cherry floors in kitchen, living room and dining room and carpet in bedrooms.
I'm a fan of Brazilians myself. Not so much on the carpet.

Wait, are we talking about floors?

- - -

Seriously, I'm surprised there's all this hate for carpet, with many people citing how dirty it is, or hard on allergies. Doesn't anybody ever vacuum anymore?

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
I prefer hardwood. As noted, you can always use area rugs as necessary. But if you go with hardwood, you'll need to pay attention to the acoustical environment. If everything is hard surfaces, you'll get tons of unwanted reverberations. The good news is that you can use wall coverings to fix that, and they don't get nearly as dirty as floor coverings.

Although I think my first choice would be stained concrete with a hydronic heating system.

I think I am going to rent a floor sander and sand away the paint.
I wouldn't even attempt it any other way. Hand sanders are too small, and can easily create divots and depressions if you aren't careful.

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
I prefer Hardwood but a nice quality Berber carpet is good also.

I am moving into my new house here in a couple weeks and plan to put carpet on the steps (only 8 or so of them) and hardwood everywhere else except for kitchen, entry way, and bathrooms.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
for me I prefer hardwood/Tile everyone but in the bedrooms. Carpeting in the bedrooms. I hate putting my feet on a hold hard floor first thing in the morning.

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
I have cork flooring in most of the apartment.
with carpet only in bedroom.

hardwood is easier to keep clean BUT you have to do it regularly cause it WILL show little dust much more than a carpet.