Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nukethis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
IL
I jumped on the iOS 13 Public Beta 6 and have this question: I have 2 Apple Homekit Garagedoor openers. How can I default one over the other? The main screen is defaulting to my wife's garage door vs mine. I could tell her to move over but I won't be that bossy.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
I jumped on the iOS 13 Public Beta 6 and have this question: I have 2 Apple Homekit Garagedoor openers. How can I default one over the other? The main screen is defaulting to my wife's garage door vs mine. I could tell her to move over but I won't be that bossy.

You must be a newlywed

Reactions: TheSkywalker77

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
Could you try re-programming them? Maybe whichever one you add first will choose to automatically default. (I don't have any experience with CarPlay so this is just a guess) :p

lifjoy

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2011
I have 2 Apple Homekit Garagedoor openers. How can I default one over the other?

I had the same problem and found a workaround (which may be overkill, but it works with iOS 13 GM)...
(0) Park your car near (or in) your garage.
(1) Remove the unwanted (second, third, or fourth) garage door opener(s) from the iPhone's Home app.
(2) Go to your iPhone's Settings app > General > CarPlay > My Car - tap on your car, and then tap "Forget this Car".
(3) Connect your iPhone to your car (in my car, I use a USB to Lightning cable).
(4) Wait for the CarPlay user interface to appear on your car's display, and verify that your desired garage door opener appears in the bottom right corner.
(5) Disconnect your iPhone from your car (unplug the USB connector).
(6) Add your other garage door openers back to the iPhone's Home app.

BadBiscuit

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2020
Washington, USA
I had the same problem and found a workaround (which may be overkill, but it works with iOS 13 GM)...
(0) Park your car near (or in) your garage.
(1) Remove the unwanted (second, third, or fourth) garage door opener(s) from the iPhone's Home app.
(2) Go to your iPhone's Settings app > General > CarPlay > My Car - tap on your car, and then tap "Forget this Car".
(3) Connect your iPhone to your car (in my car, I use a USB to Lightning cable).
(4) Wait for the CarPlay user interface to appear on your car's display, and verify that your desired garage door opener appears in the bottom right corner.
(5) Disconnect your iPhone from your car (unplug the USB connector).
(6) Add your other garage door openers back to the iPhone's Home app.

Sorry to bump this old thread, just curious if this workaround still works under iOS 15.1? I tried it, and it doesn't for me. Once I get to step 6, and add back what I had removed, it then shows in CarPlay regardless of which car I pair with. Basically the same state it was in before trying the steps, so nothing lost but nothing gained.

A bit more details: I have two Meross MSG100 HomeKit units. They work great with the exception of CarPlay integration. It seems random as to which door will show. When I leave home it lets me close the door and states "Right Garage Door - Closing", but as I return home I see "Left Garage Door - Closed", so I can't use CarPlay to open the door I need. Ideally Apple should allow a default to be select in the CarPlay settings, so each car can be tied to a specific door. I'm surprised this remains an issue.

I've requested help from Meross and will post an update if they respond with a solution. I suspect the fix must come from Apple. Short of that I'm hoping someone in the MacRumors community might have a different workaround.

UPDATE: Meross did respond after a couple days, but unfortunately did not have a solution (their reply is below). I took a drive yesterday and the correct door did appear when I returned, though I suspect that was just dumb luck, or perhaps Apple has some secret logic to match CarPlay to most frequently used door, or Siri use. Time will tell. BTW, I changed my door names to "StarGate" and "Sesame", to encourage the use of Siri. I stole the idea from another poster, but I must say I'm glad I made the change for it adds a smile to my face. :)

Subject: Re: HomeKit Issue,CarPlay not showing the correct garage door [#0036167]
Date:
December 15, 2021 at 7:40:04 PM PST
Thank you for contacting meross.

Far as we know, Carplay can only shows one door icon each time. The logic should be that after you used the carplay (siri voice) to control the garage door, the corresponding door icon will show up on the Carplay screen. This is something we are unable to change at this time, sorry about that.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,
xxxx xx
Meross Customer Support

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.