Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ConnorCDM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2019
Not sure if its just me but since updating to beta 2 Carplay is all but broken. Im aware that this is a beta just wondering if im the only one experiencing this or if there are any workarounds others have found to resolve this.

Essentially when I plug it in my Mazda recognizes it as carplay but then after a few seconds, it tells me that carplay has crashed. It happens most of the time unless i restart my phone and then plug it in. Im almost wondering if spotify is causing it because it seems more often than not that Spotify tries to autoplay when carplay is connected.

Reactions: Moorepheus

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Not sure if its just me but since updating to beta 2 Carplay is all but broken. Im aware that this is a beta just wondering if im the only one experiencing this or if there are any workarounds others have found to resolve this.

Essentially when I plug it in my Mazda recognizes it as carplay but then after a few seconds, it tells me that carplay has crashed. It happens most of the time unless i restart my phone and then plug it in. Im almost wondering if spotify is causing it because it seems more often than not that Spotify tries to autoplay when carplay is connected.

You are the first I've heard of that is having an issue. CarPlay is fairly new to Mazda...I would check the firmware for the stereo and make sure it is as up to date as possible.

Actually...in this thread, a bunch of Mazda owners with the same issue.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/carplay-13-on-non-touch-screen-cars.2185864/#post-27471880

Seems like bluetooth is causing the issue.

Reactions: QuarterSwede

ConnorCDM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2019
You are the first I've heard of that is having an issue. CarPlay is fairly new to Mazda...I would check the firmware for the stereo and make sure it is as up to date as possible.

Actually...in this thread, a bunch of Mazda owners with the same issue.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/carplay-13-on-non-touch-screen-cars.2185864/#post-27471880

Seems like bluetooth is causing the issue.

Sweeetttt! Thank you. This was exactly what i was looking for. Its probably a mazda thing, the radio system is garbage.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Sweeetttt! Thank you. This was exactly what i was looking for. Its probably a mazda thing, the radio system is garbage.

Well, they kind of forced CarPlay into an existing system. Hoping they make a change in the upcoming models now that it is truly incorporated.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
But don't assume its just a "Mazda" thing: report it to Apple. Remember they have engineers who liaise with major clients/stakeholders, like automakers, to improve accessory performance.

mgsnat75

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2011
I have a Dodge with the Uconnect and have this exact issue. Beta 1 was perfect. Now I have to reboot the phone for it to work! Lol.

Reactions: Moorepheus

RSmith2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2015
Atlanta, GA

Not entirely the same issue (and I’m in a Chevy Cruze) but I am having a couple of issues with CarPlay:
  1. Constantly tries to switch from CarPlay to a BT connection to the head unit. (Removed the BT connection from the car and phone to resolve that)
  2. Google Maps does not auto switch between light and dark modes as it should
  3. Google Maps is now taking a long time to properly orient map direction when beginning a route (10-15 seconds)
  4. Opening a CarPlay enabled app on the phone used to open the corresponding app on the car display prior to iOS 13 but no longer does this. (I.e. if I had messages open when the phone Was connected to the car then messages would open on the car’s display)
So, no... you are not alone in having issues with CarPlay.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Not entirely the same issue (and I’m in a Chevy Cruze) but I am having a couple of issues with CarPlay:
  1. Constantly tries to switch from CarPlay to a BT connection to the head unit. (Removed the BT connection from the car and phone to resolve that)
  2. Google Maps does not auto switch between light and dark modes as it should
  3. Google Maps is now taking a long time to properly orient map direction when beginning a route (10-15 seconds)
  4. Opening a CarPlay enabled app on the phone used to open the corresponding app on the car display prior to iOS 13 but no longer does this. (I.e. if I had messages open when the phone Was connected to the car then messages would open on the car’s display)
So, no... you are not alone in having issues with CarPlay.
2 and 3 is most likely on Google to update their app for iOS 13. Not always but definitely more likely.
4 is a new feature not a bug. It annoyed drivers to have the app switch on CP while the passenger was using it to look up directions, pick music, etc. Personally, I love it not changing.

billhelm

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
It takes a couple tries to boot in my 2019 Toyota RAV4 but usually sticks the second time.

mchillington

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2019

[doublepost=1561487061][/doublepost]This happens to me as well. I drive a 2018 Mazda3 sport and am running iOS 13 beta 2 on my iPhone X. It's so annoying. Even the bluetooth wouldn't work but it's working now for the most part, but no CarPlay :( My CarPlay works perfectly fine when my sister plugs in her iPhone XS running iOS 12.4 so I know it is the beta causing the issue. Worked fine on beta 1.

aesc80

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2015
No issue here with an Audi, although lately I get a password request. Cancelling it lets me go forward. Pretty sure that came from CarPlay 2, but it's not a blocker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.