Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robgreene

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
Just wait for iOS 17. I believe it shows the caller id over the maps interface. So you can see that behind the caller interface. At least it does here on iOS 17 public beta 2 with messages and WhatsApp. Don’t call that often while driving to know for sure.
I use the beta. There ARE more overlays used, but they render the nav useless. And if you answer the call it still goes full screen mode. Please consider requesting the split screen feature. Thanks!

Reactions: heretiq

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
I wouldn't call the change dangerous, but it most certainly is annoying. There are a lot of people using Carplay and the ability of a car to natively support it (and Android auto) has actually affected car sales so I think if it was actually dangerous the DOT (if in U.S.) would have already been on it just like what was it playing games and streaming in the Tesla.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Many people learned and drove without navigation and computers for a long time without issue.

It’s a stretch to call having no navigation dangerous

Exactly. Thank you.

I believe you misunderstand me. We are in agreement that "having no navigation" is not dangerous in and of itself. But if you HAVE navigation, and that navigation is unexpectedly taken away at a pivotal moment in your drive because of a phone call, that creates exactly the sort of distracted driving that laws are in place to prevent, because it is in fact dangerous.

Are you saying that when you are traveling to a specific destination (store, restaurant, hospital, etc) that you have not visited previously that you do not take a minute before you leave to figure out where you are going? Take 5 minutes and review the detailed location on maps and have a clue.

With the exception of driving off a non-existent bridge or something of that magnitude, there is no reason to be completely flummoxed when you miss a turn or a navigation... if you miss a turn, pull over and re-evaluate your position/situation, or continue on and let the navigation re-route you to your destination.

This is another example of the dumbing down of the populace - the absolute dependence on technology to the point that you actually cannot function in life without it.

Reactions: b17777 and HengenJL

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
Just wait for iOS 17. I believe it shows the caller id over the maps interface. So you can see that behind the caller interface. At least it does here on iOS 17 public beta 2 with messages and WhatsApp. Don’t call that often while driving to know for sure.
I’m running iOS 17 beta 5 and incoming calls and outgoing calls still take up the full screen. You need to take your eyes off the road and tap either the maps icon or split screen button on the CarPlay display to regain the navigation view.

This is a completely unnecessary and avoidable distraction — as the app can easily default to the existing split screen view for incoming or outgoing phone calls. I have followed the OP suggestion to submit a request via Feedback Assistant but so far have received no acknowledgement.

• Sad
Reactions: ovbacon

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
Many people learned and drove without navigation and computers for a long time without issue.

It’s a stretch to call having no navigation dangerous
I guess you’ve never been in the situation of using CarPlay in an unfamiliar area, in dense traffic, trying to figure out if your next turn is the upcoming street or the one 20 feet later — only to receive a call from the person you’re driving to meet and having the map suddenly disappear exactly when you need it.

This is not a made up situation and it happens frequently for many people. It is dangerous and you are fortunate if you’ve not experienced the stress it causes when it occurs. 🙏🏽

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
I believe you misunderstand me. We are in agreement that "having no navigation" is not dangerous in and of itself. But if you HAVE navigation, and that navigation is unexpectedly taken away at a pivotal moment in your drive because of a phone call, that creates exactly the sort of distracted driving that laws are in place to prevent, because it is in fact dangerous.
Well said @robgreene. It is distracting, dangerous and stressful.

• Sad

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
When calls come in or go out during navigation, why does Carplay not shift to a Split Screen of Navigation + Phone Call instead of Full Screen Call? It's so dangerous taking navigation away entirely like that, particularly when people are in congested areas where lots of turns may be necessary.

Yes, I've submitted this through official Apple feedback channels.

Hoping a few others will read this and do the same: https://www.apple.com/feedback/
If you are driving somewhere and you feel that losing navigation is dangerous you should definitely not be answering the phone.... But as much as I understand that taking a wrong turn can be annoying there is noting dangerous about it.

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
If you are driving somewhere and you feel that losing navigation is dangerous you should definitely not be answering the phone.... But as much as I understand that taking a wrong turn can be annoying there is noting dangerous about it.
The problem is that the incoming call notification overrides the navigation screen — whether you answer the call or not. When this happens at exactly the moment that you need the navigation, it is dangerous and stressful.

If you use CarPlay and drive in unfamiliar areas with dense traffic, you are one incoming call away from understanding why the current distracting UX is indeed dangerous. Enjoy your idyllic certainty while you can.

The only way to avoid that distraction currently is to put your iPhone on do not disturb while you are driving. A better solution is for CarPlay to default to the existing split screen view for all phone calls.

• Sad

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
The problem is that the incoming call notification overrides the navigation screen — whether you answer the call or not. When this happens at exactly the moment that you need the navigation, it is dangerous and stressful.

If you use CarPlay and drive in unfamiliar areas with dense traffic, you are one incoming call away from understanding why the current distracting UX is indeed dangerous. Enjoy your idyllic certainty while you can.

The only way to avoid that distraction currently is to put your iPhone on do not disturb while you are driving. A better solution is for CarPlay to default to the existing split screen view for all phone calls.
It is not dangerous no matter how often you say it..... If driving somewhere where you do not know the way, and that is stressful to you, you should have looked at a map before going so you at least know in general where to go.

You could also pull over and look at the map again to see where to go and when you cancel the call your audio of the navigation resumes and so there shouldn't be a problem since you are driving in a dense place and don't know where to go so your eyes should be on the road at all times anyway.

And no a split screen would not be better for driving safety as people with this stress problem will be taking calls and be even more of a danger to the rest of us. I agree that split screen would be a good feature but the whole idea that loosing ones navigation is dangerous is just ludicrous.

• Sad

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ

That's why Apple offers a DND and a Driving focus as options... if the OP is that easily distracted, or that concerned about his navigation disappearing mid-route, then he should turn on DND or use the driving focus. If being interrupted mid-route is a concern for him (or anyone), then eliminate the distractions...

Failing that, he can continue to complain about how unsafe it is, despite easy and free remedies offered by Apple.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
That's why Apple offers a DND and a Driving focus as options... if the OP is that easily distracted, or that concerned about his navigation disappearing mid-route, then he should turn on DND or use the driving focus. If being interrupted mid-route is a concern for him (or anyone), then eliminate the distractions...

Failing that, he can continue to complain about how unsafe it is, despite easy and free remedies offered by Apple.
Thank you for mentioning this. I didn’t realize you could set a driving focus up. Now I won’t have to deal with phone calls or notifications while driving.

Reactions: AZhappyjack

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
It is not dangerous no matter how often you say it..... If driving somewhere where you do not know the way, and that is stressful to you, you should have looked at a map before going so you at least know in general where to go.

You could also pull over and look at the map again to see where to go and when you cancel the call your audio of the navigation resumes and so there shouldn't be a problem since you are driving in a dense place and don't know where to go so your eyes should be on the road at all times anyway.

And no a split screen would not be better for driving safety as people with this stress problem will be taking calls and be even more of a danger to the rest of us. I agree that split screen would be a good feature but the whole idea that loosing ones navigation is dangerous is just ludicrous.

Seriously, must you resort to twisting the words of people trying to have an honest conversation in order to try and win an argument?

I’m neither an easily distracted nor easily stressed-out person and I suspect the OP isn’t either. We’ve just both had enough experiences with the CarPlay UI/Workflow to spot what is definitely a UX flaw that has compromised driving safety in certain circumstances.

The OP created this thread for one reason: to spotlight the issue and request community support in bringing the issue to Apple’s attention. Nothing more.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sad

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ

Seriously, must you resort to twisting the words of people trying to have an honest conversation in order to try and win an argument?

I’m neither an easily distracted nor easily stressed-out person and I suspect the OP isn’t either. We’ve just both had enough experiences with the CarPlay UI/Workflow to spot what is definitely a UX flaw that has compromised driving safety in certain circumstances.

The OP created this thread for one reason: to spotlight the issue and request community support in bringing the issue to Apple’s attention. Nothing more.

Again, if missing a turn via navigation is "dangerous and stressful", then disable the call/text interface via DND and Focus. No one is "twisting the words" to win anything... the OP was concerned, and I pointed out that Apple already has a solution... perhaps the OP is stressed about MISSING A CALL more than missing a turn?

Apparently this is a major issue for you as well, as you stated that you are not easily stressed-out, but then agreed that the situation IS stressful... but there's a remedy, and it's both simple and straight-forward.

I meant to demean no one... simply stating facts... there are ways around the OP's stressful/dangerous situation already in place.

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA

If you are going to accuse multiple people in one response of "twisting the words in order to try and win an argument" you might want to be so good to not do exactly that.

Again, and I am really not sure why this is so hard to understand, there is nothing dangerous here. The whole premise of this thread is to indicate that carplay is dangerous (when receiving a call) and it simply is not.

The words you use to describe me and dwfaust seem to apply to yourself very well... maybe use a mirror before starting to accuse people of hijacking a thread.

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
I guess you’ve never been in the situation of using CarPlay in an unfamiliar area, in dense traffic, trying to figure out if your next turn is the upcoming street or the one 20 feet later — only to receive a call from the person you’re driving to meet and having the map suddenly disappear exactly when you need it.

This is not a made up situation and it happens frequently for many people. It is dangerous and you are fortunate if you’ve not experienced the stress it causes when it occurs. 🙏🏽
I have. I continue driving with the traffic and pull over when safe.

Or decline the call if I’m that distracted.

If it is so dangerous for you to be called while navigating. Set the phone to dnd and don’t accept calls

MegaBlue

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2022
Tennessee, United States

I don’t really care about the argument in this thread but I do really want to see some kind of source or statistic for how many people are impacted and how much the increase in risk goes up

robgreene

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
Are you saying that when you are traveling to a specific destination (store, restaurant, hospital, etc) that you have not visited previously that you do not take a minute before you leave to figure out where you are going? Take 5 minutes and review the detailed location on maps and have a clue.

Great question. I live in a large metroplex. I live on one half of the metroplex, but often have to travel to the other half of the metroplex (an hour+ away) for work assignments - rarely in the same location. I could spend an hour looking at it on maps, but when you get to the heavy-traffic downtown areas on the other side of the metroplex, no amount of pre-trip map-gazing can prepare you for what's about to come your way.

If that doesn't fit your use case, no worries. But I've had it happen on numerous occasions, and missing a turn in this area has cost as much as 15 minutes of rerouting, given the road patterns and traffic.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Great question. I live in a large metroplex. I live on one half of the metroplex, but often have to travel to the other half of the metroplex (an hour+ away) for work assignments - rarely in the same location. I could spend an hour looking at it on maps, but when you get to the heavy-traffic downtown areas on the other side of the metroplex, no amount of pre-trip map-gazing can prepare you for what's about to come your way.

If that doesn't fit your use case, no worries. But I've had it happen on numerous occasions, and missing a turn in this area has cost as much as 15 minutes of rerouting, given the road patterns and traffic.

In this case, the solution is simple. Turn off the phone/text interface (DND or Focus) and let the navigation lead you without (fear of) interruption.

Reactions: b17777

robgreene

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
In this case, the solution is simple. Turn off the phone/text interface (DND or Focus) and let the navigation lead you without (fear of) interruption.
A worthy solution in some cases, yes. But this would eliminate clients from contacting, which is typically who's calling in those cases. I believe maps should trump phone on a car display at all times in terms of screen priority. If you don't agree, that's ok, but it doesn't make my suggestion invalid.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
A worthy solution in some cases, yes. But this would eliminate clients from contacting, which is typically who's calling in those cases. I believe maps should trump phone on a car display at all times in terms of screen priority. If you don't agree, that's ok, but it doesn't make my suggestion invalid.
It may not be the answer you want, but it solved the issue of a "dangerous" situation.

Reactions: b17777

robgreene

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
It may not be the answer you want, but it solved the issue of a "dangerous" situation.
I agree, that does create a solution for the inherent risk. At the same, my original post did not come from a lack of workarounds, but from a belief that there should not need to be any workarounds... that this is how the feature should function, and if enough of us as ask Apple for it through their feedback channels, it can become a reality.

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
I agree, that does create a solution for the inherent risk. At the same, my original post did not come from a lack of workarounds, but from a belief that there should not need to be any workarounds... that this is how the feature should function, and if enough of us as ask Apple for it through their feedback channels, it can become a reality.
So it sounds like you rely on a simple tool to help navigate traffic way to much.... instead of it just being there to help you are expecting it to be there every step of the way?! But you are the driver and you should be able to drive and navigate traffic. Period, that's it... You are responsible for what you do in and with your car.

Last edited:

robgreene

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
So it sounds like you rely on a simple tool to help navigate traffic way to much.... instead of it just being there to help you are expecting it to be there every step of the way?! But you are the driver and you should be able to drive and navigate traffic. Period, that's it... You are responsible for what you do in and with your car.
You're correct that each driver is responsible for what happens inside our vehicle. In your mind, does that make it unreasonable to submit a feature request to Apple, asking for their technology to be updated in a way could make our driving experience safer?

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
Fwiw. I don’t think your suggestion is invalid. It can be annoying. I simply disagree that it’s dangerous.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Are you looking at the road or navigation? Looking at navigation map is more dangerous than looking at the street, and missing a turn.The car play announces the turn even if you are listening to music or on calls.

Reactions: AZhappyjack
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.