CarPlay is awesome!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jwolf6589, Nov 27, 2018.

1. jwolf6589 macrumors 68000

jwolf6589

Renting this new car and it has car play. CarPlay is awesome and I wish my old car had it. Is this the wave of the future? One complaint is in regards too many new cars not shipping with CD players which I think is ridiculous. Also car play maps only work when their is a cellular connection which is a problem for the mountains and remote areas so a Garmin GPS would be necessary for travel in these areas.

2. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

There are solutions available that offer offline maps for CarPlay.
    Google Maps offers them, but I haven't tried Google Maps due to privacy concerns.
    A company called Sygic announced support as well https://www.sygic.com/blog/2018/sygic-confirms-apple-carplay-connectivity

3. aristobrat macrumors G5

There are more and more models being made that fit into older cars. I added a Pioneer unit that had CarPlay to my 2010 Jeep Wrangler without much hassle.

4. DaveyVigs macrumors regular

DaveyVigs

CarPlay is awesome! but as for CD players I haven’t used one since the first week owning my new Chevy in 2006. Never touched it on my Civic that replaced it, so I don’t miss it on my Honda Insight. If you want a CD player and CarPlay there are some options for older cars.

As for new cars it’s one less thing to break/fix. Many cars moved from CD or AUX ports to USB ports so rip all of your cds on to a 16GB flash drive and plug if you don’t use Apple Music, Spotify, iHeartRadio or other music apps.

IMHO (and likely not just me), CDs died the day Steve Jobs announced the iPod.

5. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 68000

jwolf6589

Not my model. It’s from 1998.

6. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 68000

jwolf6589

Car play does not seem to work with anything but apple maps which does not yet offer a offline solution. Besides the Garmin has more features.

7. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 68000

jwolf6589

I hardly ever listen to music and besides I have hundreds of CD’s. The Bible on MP3 CD for one and lots and lots of Bible ministry CDs. GTY, Ligonier, and others monthly release content to members not available online but only via mail via audio CD. So CD is not dead for many people. Yeah for music perhaps but as I said I hardly ever listen to music.

The advantage of many car CD players is the memory unlike what a MacBook can do or many boom boxes. I am glad my 1998 Buick has one.

8. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

CarPlay works with Google Maps and Waze. There may be more.

9. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 68000

jwolf6589

How?

10. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

There's an app for that™

Just install the apps on the phone. iOS 12 added support for other mapping apps.

11. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 68000

jwolf6589

I have google maps on the phone but car play in the car only shows apple maps.

12. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Open up Google maps on the phone while you are connected to CarPlay. It works great.

13. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

You can swipe the screen on CarPlay to get to the next page, where you should see more apps, and there is a setting on the phone to organize the apps on the screen.

14. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 68000

jwolf6589

I did and did not see google maps

15. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 68000

jwolf6589

Did not try this

16. aristobrat macrumors G5

Is your iPhone on iOS 12? That's a requirement for third-party maps in CarPlay.

17. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 68000

jwolf6589

Yes

18. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

Is the app updated to the most recent version?

If the app was deleted from CarPlay:
    1. Open Settings on your iPhone.
    2. Tap General.
    3. Tap CarPlay.
    4. Tap your car's name.
    5. Tap on the + symbol on the app you want to add from the white field under your CarPlay app setup.

19. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 68000

jwolf6589

There we go I can try this.

20. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 68000

jwolf6589

Also to note that car only works via USB so Bluetooth car play is not an option.

21. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

I use it via USB and have used Waze. For me it just showed up on the second screen on the dashboard after I swiped. I haven't used Google Maps, but I imagine it works the same as Waze since Google owns it.

22. aristobrat macrumors G5

When I used to get "spoken word" CDs via mail, the first thing I would do is stick them into my Mac, import the tracks into iTunes, and then sync to my phone.

Being able to have literally hundreds of CDs of "spoken word" on my phone was awesome. It let me do things like rate tracks that I really liked, which let me create a Smart Playlist that quickly showed me only my favorites. At one point, the CDs were coming in the mail faster than I could listen to them, so I also had a Smart Playlist that only showed tracks that I hadn't listened to yet. When I listened to a track, it would automatically fall off that Smart Playlist.

IMO, it's pretty easy to integrate CDs into a digital world without having to physically carry them around with you (or be limited to only listening to them when you're in a car/area that has a CD player, which is becoming more and more rare).

23. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

What is the make/model of your car? I bet it can have CarPlay.

Actually, installing aftermarket headunits in most 90's cars is much easier compared to car of today due to using factory head units closer to DIN standards.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 27, 2018 ---
    Actually, I installed a CarPlay head unit in my 91 MR2 Turbo without issues.

24. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 68000

jwolf6589

The problem with that option is this.

1. Takes us disk space on Mac and iPhone while CDS do not.
    2. Phone and Mac lack a play memory unlike that of a car CD player.
    3. My CD collection is at home. I am presently traveling on business. So what I need I store on my phone and what I do not need I leave at home.

25. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 68000

jwolf6589

1998 Buick Lesabre Limited