Auto CarPlay issues

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by bking1000, Aug 31, 2016.

1. bking1000 macrumors 65816

Just got a new 3rd party (Kenwood) deck for the car. CarPlay (on an iPhone 6) is giving issues.

It didn't work, then I switched lightning cables, it worked (2 different phones) now it won't work (either phone).

I've done the steps such as restarting the deck, plugging in and out, rebooting the phone (including holding down both buttons until the Apple logo reappears), closing all apps, etc. I also deleted the deck profile from my phone. Now the phone doesn't even see the car deck.

I got the deck as an open box item from Crutchfield (who has awesome installation service, but crap CarPlay support help), so it could be the deck (maybe) but before going through the return and reinstall process, does anyone know other hot points to check? One question I have -- could the USB cable be at fault? I had to buy a USB cable extender to get a port from the deck into the car, and then I plug the lightening cable into that. Do USB cables have to be chipped in any way? Just trying to figure out what the issue could be.

2. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

The USB extender shouldn't be the problem. My Pioneer NEX-4100 has a short extender where I plug my Apple cable. Have you tried using an actual Apple cable to see if the problem goes away?

3. bking1000 thread starter macrumors 65816

I have so many cables, I think they're all apple, but I'm not sure. It seems when I swap cables it works again, but then stops.

4. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

When I first installed my Pioneer I could not get it to work and tried numerous cables. Two problems I ran into... one is that on the Pioneer, one of the two USB inputs was CarPlay and the other was Android, and they were not interchangeable. I'm guessing that is not your problem. The other was that if Parental Restrictions are turned on then it will never connect to CarPlay. I have no need for Parental Restrictions ... no small kids at home... but for some reason it was enabled on my phone. The quickest way to test for this is to plug in another iPhone to test. Ironically my daughter was nearby so tried hers and it worked. I posted another thread about this problem and how to fix it - http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/carplay-cant-get-it-to-come-on-with-pioneer-avh-4200nex.1976260/

5. bking1000 thread starter macrumors 65816

I swapped some cables and one works. I am afraid to change anything now, so I have not hooked up another phone -- only one gets plugged in and out, and we don't unplug the cable, just the phone from the cable. But it's been stable the last week.

6. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

I wouldn't be afraid to try a different phone... I've used three different family members phones when they are riding in the passenger seat, with no problems. I too just leave the same cable attached to the head unit though.