Auto Carplay Maps, Voice Prompt Issues

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by Groundhog66, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Groundhog66 macrumors member

Groundhog66

Hello All,

I have been using the Maps app on Carplay, but the voice prompts are super low volume. It lowers the music, but the voice is not coming through the speakers like it should. I have my iPhone 6 Plus connected via cable to the head unit.

I have the voice prompts activated on normal volume, so I'm not sure what I'm missing here.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Tim

2. Groundhog66 thread starter macrumors member

Groundhog66

3. PeteLP macrumors regular

There's another thread on this in this forum. MacAddict16 suggested changing the cars volume WHEN SIRI IS TALKING. That's supposed to change the siri and guidiance volume, independently of the music volume, and its supposed to be remembered by the car.

I've seen a video on Apples guidelines on this and this is what they tell the manufacturers to do.

4. PeteLP macrumors regular

@Groundhog66

Have you tried the suggestion above? Is it working for you?

5. Groundhog66 thread starter macrumors member

Groundhog66

I have the volume up, since I am listening to music at the time, not sure what you mean.

6. PeteLP, Oct 2, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2016

PeteLP macrumors regular

Our suggestion is the following:

1) At a time when music is playing and Siri is definitely not speaking, adjust the car's volume control so that the MUSIC is at exactly the volume you want it to be.

2) Later, at EXACTLY THE TIME when SIRI is speaking VOICE GUIDANCE commands for Maps, (even if the music is still playing) adjust the car's volume control so that SIRI"S VOICE for the guidance commands is at exactly the volume you want THAT to be.

That's all you should have to do.

SIRI"S VOICE guidance commands for Maps should get louder if you turn it up at the right time, and the music volume (which probably gets softer whenever voice guidance commands are spoken) will return to the same level you had previously adjusted it to, as soon as Siri's specific voice guidance command is completed.

This way CarPlay should remember (1) the volume you want for music by itself, and (2) the volume you want for Siri voice guidance commands, as two distinct volume levels.

Please read this other thread in its ENTIRETY:

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ios-10-maps-low-volume-for-guidance.1999994/

That user had the same exact problem, and also had initial difficulty understanding this suggestion. In the end it totally solved his problem.

Please let me know if you're still having difficulty understanding the suggestion, and/or if it works (or doesn't) when you try it as suggested.

7. Grapplerone macrumors newbie

Grapplerone

This solved my issue on my new 2016 Chevrolet Malibu LT. I could barely hear prompts and this was something I never thought about since music was blaring over it.

I bet this works on all GM CarPlay

8. hauntvictim macrumors regular

hauntvictim

I have this issue and have tried many things... but not this. Is this a bug?
    I will try tonight but I don't hear when SIRS is prompting.

9. PeteLP macrumors regular

Assuming the suggestion works for you, IMO It's not a bug. I do believe it's a design problem, given that several folks have been stumped by this.

I will point out that the iphone itself has worked this way for many, many years (perhaps since the beginning).

For example, on the iphone, if you change the volume when the phone is ringing, the ringer volume is changed and will stay that way henceforth, with no change to music volume or phone call audio volume. Similarly for changing the volume when talking on a phone call, where the change is remembered but effects only phone call audio (not future ringer volume, or future music volume).

This CarPlay volume behavior is completely consistent with that. But any feature that stumps a bunch of people would benefit from a more obvious design.

One way to solve this IMO is to continue to operate the same way (which provides very quick access, and which is intuitive for some), but ALSO have an in-the-car, CarPlay "volume settings" screen. Where one could see and change the volume settings for each of the distinct audio types. AND where a little help note could describe the other quicker method.

10. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

This is how it works in my daughter's VW Jetta and it's how it works on my non-CarPlay navigation system on my other car.

11. hauntvictim macrumors regular

hauntvictim

Yes, I fixed it as stated above. Maybe they should incorporate a volume bar to assist. Is there a reporting email address?

12. PeteLP macrumors regular