Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
planetbeing just twittered....

"unlock will be out tonight, no worries"

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Nope, find someone with an official simcard that the phone is locked to or buy one on ebay. even old inactive sims will do it and let you into the homescreen to install userland JB's.
I heard the next JB might also be a userland hack and to avoid having problems with push, youtube and other stuff not working a sim will be usefull.

The Tuck

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2003
Awesome, congrats dude! You're one of the very few people with an iPhone 4 running on T-Mobile!

iTouch

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
I have to cut my SIM card in the afternoon. I can't wait to get rid of my 3G. And I'm also on T-Mobile.

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2007
So what happens when you install 4.1 and lose the jailbreak. Does this mean you lose the carrier unlock as well? its not a hard bottom boot program right?

iTouch

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
thanks a lot! but.. damnit. i just need to activate this damn phone lol.

anyway i can jailbreak without activating this phone?
If you have the unactivated micro SIM in the phone then yes. I plugged it and iTunes popped up. It asked me to register but I ignored that and set up Wi-Fi. Then from there you can go to jailbreakme.com and install jailbreak.

Eric Noa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
So what happens when you install 4.1 and lose the jailbreak. Does this mean you lose the carrier unlock as well? its not a hard bottom boot program right?
Your gonna have to wait untill a new Jailbreak nd unlock come's out but it should take long since they already did one for 4.0.1

this is funah

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Berlin, Germany
Your gonna have to wait untill a new Jailbreak nd unlock come's out but it should take long since they already did one for 4.0.1
so basically, any time a new update comes out, i would have to wait until the devteam comes with an update to the jailbreak to keep my unlock?

the unlock only exists side-by-side with the jailbreak, right? if i de-jailbreak it, back to the ATT iPhone it is.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
so basically, any time a new update comes out, i would have to wait until the devteam comes with an update to the jailbreak to keep my unlock?

the unlock only exists side-by-side with the jailbreak, right? if i de-jailbreak it, back to the ATT iPhone it is.
yes you are correct. it takes a long time to create a jailbreak and find a hole to exploit it in.. but keep in mind, stay on current firmware so you dont lose your ul/jb obviously. so its really a non issue imo

this is funah

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Berlin, Germany
yes you are correct. it takes a long time to create a jailbreak and find a hole to exploit it in.. but keep in mind, stay on current firmware so you dont lose your ul/jb obviously. so its really a non issue imo
ok thanks so much for your help.

would i also be able to set it up without a phone number so that i can use it as an ipod for the first month while im still in the US on vacation?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.