Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Back in June, it was reported that the iPhone 5 was in carrier testing, with high-level executives at Apple and some of its carrier partners said to be carrying the device around for testing purposes.

iphone5-500x338.png

In addressing a new claim that the next iPhone won't debut until October, later than the September timeframe that has been the focus for some time now, The Guardian offers some details on the carrier testing process that is said to indeed be underway.
My carrier sources tell me that the boxes in which the new iPhone hardware is encased have been transported to carriers for testing. This is an important step in the release cycle for any phone. ... The next iPhones go for their testing inside locked and sealed boxes so that the carriers can carry out checks on their network compatibility in their labs. It's very high security, as you could guess; my understanding is that barely anyone inside the carriers gets to open those boxes, and even when they do the hardware is encased in a dummy body which means there's no clue to what the actual phone will do.
The report suggests that with the iPhone 5 now in final carrier testing, a process that should take only weeks, Apple is in prime position to ramp up manufacturing to meet a September launch.

Other sources are also skeptical of the October launch claim, with RBC Capital Markets analyst Mike Abramsky noting that Apple during its last earnings conference call noted that it would be experiencing a "future product transition" affecting the current quarter, which ends in late September. Abramsky also cites channel checks that continue to point to an August/September build ramp for the new iPhone to meet a September launch, as well as increased retail staffing and vacation blackouts at Apple and its carrier partners for the September timeframe.

Article Link: Carriers Currently Testing iPhone 5 in Sealed Boxes?

redbotsoftware

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2009
Nice, can't wait! Hopefully the delays are worth it.

They must have delayed from the normal summer release because of a major update, right? ;)

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Won't a dummy body cause problems in testing, as opposed to using a phone without a cover?

arian19

macrumors demi-god
Jul 9, 2008
wait, so is the new iPhone a 5 or 4s ... I'm confused with all this contradicting info lol

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Sealed boxes? What happens if they open them? Exploding dye packs?

An OS X Lion will jump out eating everyone in sight.

This rumor sounds way more believable than the October BS. :cool:

Won't a dummy body cause problems in testing, as opposed to using a phone without a cover?

Que the Apple Bumper Program version 2.0 ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
agreed, Apple did say that there will be a "future product transition" in this quarter. What other product can they possibly launch in the next month apart from the iPhone 5?

b11051973

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
I'm getting sick of all these iPhone 5 stories. :)

I just want it to come out already!!! :D

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
LOL, sealed boxes, dummy enclosures... What next, retina scans, rfid chip implants?

Get over yourself Apple, it's a f'n phone, and you aren't NASA.

Steve's Barber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
..the hardware is encased in a dummy body...

Probably with a round bottom so it falls off of bar stools easily.

Edit: I'm late with the obligatory bar stool quip. Apologies and ignore.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
agreed, Apple did say that there will be a "future product transition" in this quarter. What other product can they possibly launch in the next month apart from the iPhone 5?
I think there's a high probability it could be the iPod too. And totally restructuring that line up. Possibly killing the shuffle and nano and classic and just having different touches. But that's just a guess.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
That case looks familiar

The plastic case they are showing looks like the inner polycarbonate case used with the Otterbox Defender. I would imagine the halfs are glued togather. You could open the box but if you did this Apple would exclude you and your company from any farther testing of new Apple gear, which is something you just would not want to do, for it written if the Arch Angel Steve Jobs curses you your damnation is eternal..........Amen. ;):rolleyes:

benjs

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008
wait, so is the new iPhone a 5 or 4s ... I'm confused with all this contradicting info lol

No one has posted 'info', per se, rather a vast assortment of rumours. Hence, nothing has been contradictory, and people choose which rumours to believe, and which not to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.