Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silver Box

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
LOL, sealed boxes, dummy enclosures... What next, retina scans, rfid chip implants?

Get over yourself Apple, it's a f'n phone, and you aren't NASA.

Firstly Apple arnt the only company to do this. Second, have a think about why any company would protect their considerable investment? Think about why anyone from Nike to Samsung protect their properties. Clearer now?

To be honest, its not a question of Apple getting over itself, its a question of what you dont understand.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
wait, so is the new iPhone a 5 or 4s ... I'm confused with all this contradicting info lol

No one knows what Apple is going to call it. Whether it is the "4S" or "5" (or something else) doesn't really matter. It's the "next iPhone."

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Won't a dummy body cause problems in testing, as opposed to using a phone without a cover?

Assuming access to buttons is not restricted, plastic and glass are transparent to EM fields, so any case wouldnt be an issue unless it contains metal.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
*insert generic blender picture here*

Haha, this advert appeared right below your post! :eek:

screenshot20110802at312.png

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
I AM READYYY

RELEASE IT!!!

The rumors are heating up, where there's smoke there's fire, these gotta be releasing soon

Kranchammer

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2010
Kahleefornya
Assuming access to buttons is not restricted, plastic and glass are transparent to EM fields, so any case wouldnt be an issue unless it contains metal.

From the article, it seems like the phones are taken out of the boxes by a select few for testing. This would seemingly preclude real world testing, and therefore, the potential for real world gotchas increases (a la the iPhone4 's region and carrier dependent antenna issues).

Trius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
I love all of this speculation... Come on Steve! Lets see it! Bring on the new iPhone! :D

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I thought that after the iPhone 4 lost-in-a-bar debacle, Apple barred iPhone test units from leaving their campus?

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
From the article, it seems like the phones are taken out of the boxes by a select few for testing. This would seemingly preclude real world testing, and therefore, the potential for real world gotchas increases (a la the iPhone4 's region and carrier dependent antenna issues).

The article references a "dummy" body. As long as that doesn't alter metal amount or placexnt in the chassis, it's a harmless divergence from retail model for network testing purposes.

PJMAN2952

macrumors regular
May 22, 2011
iPhone 5 mock up

The diagram for the iPhone 5 looks so realistic that it has to be true! The best mock up of iPhone 5 I have ever seen!

Kyrra

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2009
I had some friends that used to work at Apple and they had to go through this same thing. When they were testing the devices, they would be given the hardware locked inside of a box (that had security tape around it). And even if you opened it up, it was just the circuit boards inside, nothing to give away what it would look like.

TsunamiTheClown

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
Fiery+Cross+Reef
my understanding is that barely anyone inside the carriers gets to open those boxes, and even when they do the hardware is encased in a dummy body which means there's no clue to what the actual phone will do.

I did sneak a quick pic of the box though...

Attachments

• droid_x_box.jpg
    droid_x_box.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 120

Kranchammer

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2010
Kahleefornya
The article references a "dummy" body. As long as that doesn't alter metal amount or placexnt in the chassis, it's a harmless divergence from retail model for network testing purposes.

I was referencing this line:

my understanding is that barely anyone inside the carriers gets to open those boxes, and even when they do the hardware is encased in a dummy body which means there's no clue to what the actual phone will do.

Ignoring what case the phone's electronics are in once the box is open,it seems like:
1. Very few people get to open the box, which leads me to conclude that:
2. Very little 'real world' testing gets done.

I love Apple, I love the anticipation and surprise of new product reveals, but it seems to me Apple's strategy of secrecy bites them in the ass in cases where problems can only be revealed by extensive testing.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009

god forbid it's going to be like my HTC Inspire which can barely get a wifi signal in the next room from the router

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
I did sneak a quick pic of the box though...

My GF had a Droid X. Well, 4 actually. Verizon kept on exchanging them for other phones because they locked up so much. She was doing factory resets every few weeks. She finally complained enough for them to send her an iPhone. No problems since.

She did b*tch about the camera once. Something about "the camera on my droid was..." and I stopped her and asked if it was the same droid that she had to exchange 3 times. Apparently it has a nice camera. When you can use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.