Carriers forcing iPhone firmware updates??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eleven7, Sep 12, 2011.

1. eleven7 macrumors regular

Any other cellphone carriers out there forcing you to update your firmware?

Here in Japan I've been getting emails from Softbank saying that due to network optimization being carried out in October that I have to update to the latest version of iOS.

Is this just some sneaky way of trying to get everyone to get rid of their jailbreaks or is there really a difference between 4.1 - 4.3(?) in how voice network things are handled??

2. DESNOS macrumors 6502

It may just be for increased network security, since the latest version contains important security fixes that people still on 4.1 wouldn't have, but it's hard to say.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It's mostly so you have the latest baseband updates and at the same time so that they can push to you (via Apple) the latest Carrier configuration.

4. eleven7 thread starter macrumors regular

Cheers guys. What are these security fixes? Since I've been on 4.0 for the past year I'm not too worried about security unless it's really an issue.

I might just hold off and see if my phone stops working once October hits. I really need my JB for tethering which I have to use all day since my internet filter at work blocks 80% of my stuff. Suppose I will have no choice to go un-jailbroken when the iPhone 5 finally drops though...