Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As part of WWDC this month, Apple announced this year's winners of an Apple Design Award, which honors excellence in innovation, ingenuity, and technical achievement in app and game design. Among the recipients in 2021 was CARROT Weather, a popular app known for its humorous weather forecasts.

2021-apple-design-award.jpg

CARROT Weather has since shared an unboxing video of its Apple Design Award with a similarly humorous tone, offering a closer look at the aluminum cube.

The quirky weather app was a winner in the "Interaction" category alongside Bird Alone. Apple said winners in this category "deliver intuitive interfaces and effortless controls that are perfectly tailored to their platform."

"CARROT Weather is known for its humorous forecasts and unique visuals," said Apple. "A recent design update has brought simplicity and elegance to its experience across all Apple platforms. From witty weather projections, to a robust set of customizable widgets and a collection of useful watch faces, this app comes packed with endless entertainment."

12 different apps received an Apple Design Award this year in total.

Article Link: CARROT Weather Shares Humorous Unboxing of Apple Design Award

evil0ne

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2004
I paid for Carrot but found the app on the watch wouldn't refresh correctly. Their choice of complications are nice but they didn't seem to work so I went back to the stock app.

Jun 7, 2021
I love the app but the forecasts are terribly inaccurate. Stock weather app said 80 percent chance of rain last night (accurate) and carrot said 18 percent.
It’s all guesswork. Stock weather app by chance was right yesterday for you. It definitely wasn’t for me, just ask my grass

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
That's considered "humorous"? Dumb, grim, and sophomoric. Stopped watching after the comment about no head inside. Given how rampant violence is in the society -- including incidents of such gruesome brutality -- it's just not funny. It's not clever. It's the type of a thing a stunted middle-school boy would come up with -- and be mocked at by his peers for how half-baked it was. Most of them could have done a much, much better job of this.

By the way, I thought that Apple had finally given Siri natural-sounding voices. (That is, assuming it's true, as someone else posted, that this is Siri -- reading text.).

I don't use Siri, save for the English-accented concierge while using Car Play, but this voice is pathetic. "She" sounds stilted and creepy -- like an imitation of bad voice assistants. How come Apple still can't match the computerized voice from 2001: A Space Odyssey -- or, even the original Star Trek?

ceribria

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2008
That's considered "humorous"? Dumb, grim, and sophomoric. Stopped watching after the comment about no head inside. Given how rampant violence is in the society -- including incidents of such gruesome brutality -- it's just not funny. It's not clever. It's the type of a thing a stunted middle-school boy would come up with -- and be mocked at by his peers for how half-baked it was. Most of them could have done a much, much better job of this.

By the way, I thought that Apple had finally given Siri natural-sounding voices. (That is, assuming it's true, as someone else posted, that this is Siri -- reading text.).

I don't use Siri, save for the English-accented concierge while using Car Play, but this voice is pathetic. "She" sounds stilted and creepy -- like an imitation of bad voice assistants. How come Apple still can't match the computerized voice from 2001: A Space Odyssey -- or, even the original Star Trek?
Maybe you can do a better job with your award?

Adreitz

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2013

You obviously don't know anything about Carrot. The whole shtick is that it is a homicidal (and snarky) superintelligent AI. Kind of a more edgy version of GLaDOS. The voice is not Siri, but a Carrot-specific voice.

kuwxman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
Kansas City
It’s all guesswork. Stock weather app by chance was right yesterday for you. It definitely wasn’t for me, just ask my grass
It isn't guesswork; it's more so that people don't understand how the percentages are calculated. Seeing 30%, 40%, 80%, etc chance of rain does NOT mean you have that percent chance of seeing rain in your specific location; forecasts are made for a forecast area. The percentage seen in forecasts is the result of the formula Confidence x Area. This news station's weather team breaks it down: https://www.wmcactionnews5.com/2019/04/25/breakdown-what-does-rain-percentage-really-mean-you/

Saying that, different data sources are going to give varying calculations too. Looks like Carrot currently uses Foreca as their default data API. If people are seeing inaccurate weather information for their location, they can try out up to five other APIs in the US if they're subscribed to the Premium tier.

Adreitz

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2013
I love the app but the forecasts are terribly inaccurate. Stock weather app said 80 percent chance of rain last night (accurate) and carrot said 18 percent.
My experience exactly. I started using the Carrot Apple Watch complication (the large one for Infograph Modular) because it displays more info than the default one. However, I can't tell you how many times it hasn't synced until I've manually opened the watch App, and sometimes even afterward it seems to show weather for some other location (even though it shows my town) until I open the phone app. And even then, the other day the phone app insisted that it was partly cloudy when it was overcast and actively raining outside. The temperature can also be 10F off from the actual temperature.

I'm considering ditching it again. I'd rather use Weather Underground, but the developers have completely sat on their hands for the last three years. Not only is the phone app buggy and the UI terrible, but they just insist on NOT developing a proper Infograph Modular complication.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Great application. One of my most used apps! A well deserved award. The last biggest update is amazing. I've never been able to customize an application like this before - even more of a note, I've never been able to customize something into a setup I actually REALLY liked. A massive win for Carrot.

You're obviously criticizing something you don't know. Carrot is designed to be a homicidal AI - it has a host of applications that refers to its users as meatbags. This has been this way since day one. You can easily control the snark in the app (along with almost every other setting you can think of). If it's not your cup of tea, that's fine but there's a reason why this app won an award... there's a lot of people (myself included) that really like this application. The voice is intentional, fyi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.