Cars 2: Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by sysiphus, Jun 24, 2011.

1. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

For those unaware, Pixar's new movie Cars 2 is coming out today. I got a free ticket to a pre-release screening last night, and enjoyed it, though I have to admit it's pretty weak for a Pixar movie. It's a fun movie, either as kids' entertainment or if you're a car nut, but it doesn't come close to any of its predecessors, save perhaps the original "Cars" (which had more heart, but was a blatant knockoff of "Doc Hollywood"). A fun diversion, but I was sick of Larry the Cable Guy by the end of the movie.

Verdict: Fun, but not up to Pixar's nearly impeccable usual standards. Glad I didn't have to pay to see it, but as a car nut, I still had a good time.

Your thoughts?

(Also, it's getting slaughtered by the critics...)

2. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

Is it like the trailer? If so, it looks quite bad (for being a pixar film, that is).

3. sysiphus thread starter macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

In what sense? It is much more action-driven than any other Pixar movie, absolutely. There isn't loads of character development, either--there are some very obvious "learning/growing" sort of moments that are put in there for the kids, but it's nothing like, say, the emotional buildup in "Up" or "Wall E" or "Toy Story".

You know how some Pixar movies do a great job of treading the line between a good kids' movie and a good movie for parents to enjoy? This one feels like a kids' movie that instead just threw in a bunch of car references/jokes for the kids' dads to catch.

4. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

5. sysiphus thread starter macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Interesting thought.

The movie was preceded by a trailer for "The Lion King" in 3D re-release. Frankly I would have rather watched that movie again in the theater than seen Cars 2.

6. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

I hated the first Cars. I don't want to see the 2nd.

lol, call me a grumpy stooge if you want to. I liked all other Pixar movies though.

7. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

It's a kid's movie aimed at kids. Disney sequels are always not as good as the original.

What did you expect ?

8. sysiphus thread starter macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Precisely that. However, it is worth noting that it's not up to Pixar's usual high standards.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Being as such, my kids want to see the movie and are aching to go

10. d4rkc4sm macrumors 6502

d4rkc4sm

cars 1 was a piece o **** movie. cars 2 cannot improve on what is already bottom barrel entertainment

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Are you saying that because you didn't like it, or your kids didn't like it.

I mean we're talking about a cartoon from disney, if that doesn't smack of kids, I don't know what does.

12. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

We went with the kids this afternoon. It was good, only it started loosing the most kid audience about mid way through-- it got a little slow. For anyone familiar with japanese culture, the scenes in Tokyo were especially funny. Also I don't think this is a spoiler but the movie was more about Mader's character arc than McQueen.

Also the toy story hawaiian vacation was funny and very good.

13. FroMann macrumors 6502

FroMann

I was not a fan of the first movie and reading the reviews it sounds like it is the worst Pixar film ever made, (spill.com convinced me mostly) I have a free ticket for Cars 2 and I still don't want to see it.

14. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I wonder where it will fit in my running Pixar list last updated for Ratatouille

1. "Toy Story 2"
    2. "Toy Story 3"
    3. "Up"
    4. "The Incredibles"
    5. "Ratatouille"
    6. "Wall-E"
    7. "Cars"
    8. "Finding Nemo"
    9. "Toy Story"
    10. "Monster's Inc."
    11. "A Bug's Life"

For me, the Toy Story sequels are just so much better than the original. (Breaking the Disney sequel curse). I must admit I don't have the same sense of anticipation for Cars 2. The kids want to see it, but aren't clamoring for it.

B

15. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

This was just my thought! o_O The original Cars' story was excellent... this one seems like typical Disney "Let's Milk Popular Characters for as Much As We Can!" stuff.

Now, it might be very good.. and knowing Pixar I'm sure it has been immaculately put together and has excellent writing and voice acting, but it just seems less Pixar and more Disney. I see every Pixar film on the big screen, but decided to wait for Netflix for this one. :/

^^@balam: Wall•E, Ratatouille and Finding Nemo are my top three, followed closely by Up, Monsters Inc., and the rest. :)

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Disney does not suffer perfection over profit.

It was a sad day when I heard of the take-over. :(

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My girls went the movies and saw Cars 2 and they loved it. Isn't that what its about. People here talk about the lack of story or depth, but seriously we're talking about a cartoon targeting kids. My wife said the theater was full.

We're not talking about Schindler's List, but a cartoon. Some of the reviews on youtube and around here seem to forget that.

18. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

But that is not what Pixar was about, originally.

They produced "cartoons" that could appeal on many levels.

I guess those days died with Disney?

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They appealed to others on many levels but make no mistake, the target audience was always children. That has never changed.

20. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

No. Ratatouille, WALL-E, Up and Toy Story 3 (all created post-buyout) were fantastic movies.

Cars is John Lasseter's pet project. That's why they made a sequel. It's also a marketing goldmine and I believe the most successful Pixar merchandising franchise yet (Cars toys, Cars bedsheets, Cars birthday cakes, Cars books, Cars theme park rides, Cars soundtrack, etc). I read an article about that somewhere.

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Looks like the movie exceed expectations on how well it did at the box office. Looks like Disney has a winner on their hands.

22. JKK photography macrumors regular

JKK photography

Cars in general just aren't very interesting as anthropomorphic vehicles (pun intended).

I feel like Cars has ways been Lasateer's test for himself. I actually think these two movies are somewhat daring.

With that said, I like it. And remember that "bad" for Pixar is still "great" for nearly every other studio.

23. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Amen. While the planned Disney TS3 was typical sequel garbage. The Pixar team managed to turn out yet another sequel that was as good or better than the original Toy Story.

Didn't make it to Cars 2 this weekend, maybe next.

B

24. Sanveann macrumors 6502

Sanveann

I have to agree. I never saw "Cars" as one of the more all-ages movies ... it really was aimed more at kids, IMHO. And I have two little boys who went today with their grandparents and ADORED it, so I'm happy enough (except for the new toys they'll be demanding ...)