Cartoon legend and friends get makeover from Warner Bros.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Cartoon legend and friends get makeover from Warner Bros.
By Marietta Homayonpour and Heather Barr

THE NEWS-TIMES
The Looney Tunes characters will be transformed into the Loonatics for a new Saturday program that will air this fall. The show is set far in the future and the new characters are “descendants” of the originals.
Well, at least the buck tooth is still there.

Othewise, a new version of cartoon legend Bugs Bunny looks nothing like the smart-aleck, carrot-chewing, "What's up, Doc?" spewing original.

That's because Bugs' corporate parents have given him an extreme makeover.

The same goes for the Road Runner, Wile E. Coyote, Daffy Duck and the Tasmanian Devil. The new Looney Tunes look is more streamlined, angular and aggressive looking. Some compare it to anime, the Japanese cartooning style.

Some like it. Some don't.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
It was just as perverted back then it was just concealed better.

stoid

macrumors 601
MacNut said:
It was just as perverted back then it was just concealed better.
Well, I don't mean perverted it in traditional sexual sense. :eek:

I mean like some other remakes that 'modernize' the story/characters, but really only succeed in destroying all that was good about them in the first place.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
It looks like that is what WB is trying to do with the new look.

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
Wow, they look super crappy. If I cared enough, I'd go look up the article (since you didn't provide a link).

...But after what Chuck Jones did to Tom and Jerry, I can't watch a "Loony Tune" without descending into a seething pit of rage.

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Yeah, I saw an segment of Sunday Morning on this. The new Bugs (called Buzz Bunny) will have laser vision and be an expert in martial arts. The guy they interviewed said that they were designing characters for a new generation. What a load of crap. Chuck Jones's family was disgusted at the new characters. The segment even interviewed families and kids. The consensus was all the same: nobody liked the new look.

The worst part was when they showed Buzz: he looked like some characters you see in internet flash animation.

I am truly disappointed in WB's idea of wanting to change the Looney Tunes.

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
This should help you get an idea of what it'll look like...

Loonatics Preview

I'm not sure what to say about it... I guess I'll have to see an episode to see and decide. Buzz's voice kind of scared me though, that's for sure... I know the original will be a classic and I have very fond memories as a kid just watching them on Sunday nights and Saturday mornings. I'd always go grab a carrot and eat it when Bugs was on TV (I'm cool :cool: ) So, I dunno I guess I'll just have to see the show in action.

hob

macrumors 68020
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
:confused:

...just about sums it up really

Oh - and they SO do NOT look anime, they look like they're trying to be anime. Which is about a gazillion times WORSE!

Bob21

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2004
Yorkshire, UK
Wow - that truly is awful.

I wasn't around when the originals were broadcast, but I still enjoyed them - without WB changing them to fit my generation.

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
The only force of evil I see is marketing. Well, evil, or incompetence - take your pick (or choose both).

The animation didn't bother me as much as pretty much everything else.

I weep for the children.

CAM

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2004
Lillington, NC
This is a brilliant idea. While we're at it, let's replace Batman and kill Superman. Oh, they tried that already? It didn't go very well? Hmmm. So, it's not a good idea to mess with cultural icons? And Time Warner owns DC Comics who made these mistakes in the past? Hmmmm.

Twinkie

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2005
Milford, MI
Honestly, I don't think this concept is any better or worse than Animaniacs was. And I don't think anyone seriously believes that Animaniacs diluted the original "classic" characters.