Case for 13" MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mac.fanatic, Jul 22, 2012.

1. mac.fanatic macrumors 6502

I'm thinking about getting this case for my Macbook Pro. It protects the lid and the bottom of the laptop. However, I am worried that if I cover the bottom of the laptop it will get heated and it won't have much room for ventilation. The company is marketing it as it has holes on the bottom for the air to flow freely and go in and out. Does anyone use this case? What do you think?

Here Is The Link To The Case

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

4. Critterbug macrumors member

Critterbug

Speck Case

I had a speck case for my 13" mbp. I don't think it did any good. When I took it off after a few months when it needed servicing:

#1 Hard to get off
    #2 Dirt and dust stuck inside
    #3 The ventilation openings in no way can help with cooling as they don't coincide with the ventilation system on the mbp.

My conclusion: dump it.

5. Indy500fan1977 macrumors newbie

I basically concur with what CritterBug said, although I didn't have much problem getting my case detached. I traveled a lot and it was amazing how much dirt/dust/whatever gets inside of the case in a matter of a month. The only pro I would give a Speck case (or any other hard shell) is that it did prevent some possible deep scratches on the aluminum when transporting it.

6. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

those are true cons of the speck - and any case ive tried - yall recommend something beside speck then?

7. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

8. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I still laugh at the idea of putting a computer in a case ... but that's just me.

Phone iPod? Sure. Laptop? erm, no.

10. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

Take a look at this one: http://www.amazon.com/iPearl-mCover...3057737&sr=1-3&keywords=mcover+macbook+pro+13 Check the customer reviews.

I have one for my MBA and it's very nice. Protects from scratches and dings while not hiding anything. From a few feet away it's impossible to tell there's any case on it at all, or you can choose a colored version. For ventilation concerns, the bottom has more holes than solid surface.

This one is also MUCH cheaper than the Speck at Best Buy.

11. wgnoyes macrumors 6502

if you're going to do it, I somewhat prefer the offerings from InCase. They're semi-transluscent, and also have a matt non-slip finish/grip to them. Specks are glossy.

12. Critterbug macrumors member

Critterbug

Ventilation

I'm just not understanding how those vents would work without corresponding vents and fans in the computer. As I understand it, if the bottom is on a table, it takes the left over heat the ventilation system doesn't take care of, (and it takes care of it pretty well), and acts like a heat sync. That's what all the people at Apple have told me. :confused: Perhaps I'm mistaken.

I liked the Speck until I had to take it off. And I'll say that I also felt like I had a "bigger" computer, in that when I took it off, all of a sudden, I remembered why I had purchased this beautiful, slim, light form factor, and why would I want to bulk it up?
    If it gets scratched, I figure those are distinguishing marks, like a beauty mark, or a scar. Oh the memories... (Well, unless you're careless and bang the screen in a door).
    It just feels lighter and more pleasant. I'll never use a case for a laptop again. It hides the built in beauty, and just adds bulk, IMVHO. (And I don't believe the "vents" in the cases are useful for more than a placebo effect.
    I have a soft case which can fit in my computer back pack when I need it. That's what I use.