Case-Mate Barely There for iPhone 4...?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by VTAb182, Jun 30, 2010.

1. VTAb182 macrumors regular

If anybody has a Barely There case for their iPhone 4, I could use answers to a couple questions:
    1) Do the sides rise above the front screen so that the screen doesn't touch the table if it is set face down?
    2) Do you have any of the flash issues that have been reported with other cases (like the Griffin Reveal)?

And for the record, I've done some searching but couldn't find these answers. Sorry if I overlooked them and thanks in advance!

EDIT: Also looking for the sames answers concerning the iFrogz Luxe Lean case. I'm pretty sure that one goes over the front, but I have no clue about the flash.

2. WhyYouSoBlurry macrumors newbie

For the iFrogz Luxe Lean, the flash issue is there but not as pronounced with the thicker cases. The photos I've taken with the flash definitely have a whitish effect/washed out look. IMO worth the money until there is something definitively better available.

3. VTAb182 thread starter macrumors regular

Is it made of a material that you would be able to file down in order for the flash not to reflect off the case?

4. mzd macrumors 6502a

5. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

I have a barley there case on my iPhone 4. 1).the sides do protect the front by protruding maybe 1/16th of an inch.

2). No issue with the flash.

6. mzd macrumors 6502a

can you post a few pictures? manufactures aren't posting actually photos of their products anymore. just renderings. :(

7. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

1) on further review, the sides do protect the front by protruding maybe 1/16th of an inch.

2) I took several photos with the flash with the case on and with the case off and could not tell any difference.

Case-Mate does have photos of the barley there on their website.

8. jluce50 macrumors regular

I ordered one yesterday after stressing out about which case to get. The opening around the camera/flash looked to be the largest of any of the slim cases I looked at, so I think it probably has the best chance of not having the flash issue. I had it shipped Priority so I should have it within the next couple days...

9. sjackson12 macrumors member

Ordered also, I'll put up a review when I get it.

10. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

I wonder if it will fit with screen protectors on front and back.

11. VTAb182 thread starter macrumors regular

So the screen doesn't touch the table when you lay it face down, right?

And would you mind post a couple pictures taken with the phone, one with flash and one without? Maybe our eyes are seeing different things or noticing differently, you know? Thanks!

12. WhyYouSoBlurry macrumors newbie

It's a hard plastic the same as many of the other slim cases out there so conceivably it could be filed down. I'll reiterate that the flash issue is nowhere near as pronounced as the thicker cases and predominately when you're trying to take pictures further away from the subject which generally isn't a great use for a camera phone anyway.

13. mzd macrumors 6502a

14. jluce50 macrumors regular

Unfortunately, probably not. According to the FAQ on the product page it will not work with Case-Mate's Clear Armor skins. I still plan to try it with the Bodyguardz that I ordered just in case. If that doesn't work, I kept the plastic film that the iPhone was shipped with and I'll just put that back on to protect from the dirt that will inevitably get between the case on the phone.

15. VTAb182 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for posting that! On the written review, it says "When the iPhone 4 is placed face down the case does not provide much separation between the device’s screen and surfaces below. This can be an issue if the iPhone 4 is placed face down on uneven surfaces." Is this saying the the screen always touches, or just touches if the phone isn't on a completely flat surface?

16. Mankin5344 macrumors member

Just got mine on Thursday. I put a screen protector on the back just cut a part out for the camera and the case fits fine. The flash is not affected at all by the case from what I can tell. It is raised on the sides so the screen doesn't touch the surface I made sure by sliding a piece of paper under it while laying it flat on the screen. I thinks it the perefect case and recommend it.

17. oghowie macrumors 6502a

oghowie

Pics?

18. HelperMonkey macrumors member

Just received mine. Really liking this case.

I can't tell if the lip is higher than the screen to the point of it preventing scratches if laid down. If it is, it's really close. I have tested the flash and there are no problems with photos. For my tastes, it's also the perfect texture for making the phone a bit less slippery. Of course, I'm sure it'll offer little protection in a drop.

Looks like I'll be returning my bumper.

19. Petey-ed macrumors 6502

20. apple.pseudofan macrumors regular

I'm convinced (for now at least).

I just ordered it. This will be a BSE/Barely there combo

21. spikeymike macrumors newbie

Here are pics of it on my phone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. wiestlingjr macrumors member

that case looks nice..

are those the screen protectors that came with the case?

23. spikeymike macrumors newbie

Yeah, it's the one that came with the case. It's not that great (edges don't seem to stick down along the sides and camera opening), but it'll do for now until Power Support releases their films.

24. mbhforum macrumors 6502a

I got this case today in the mail. Compared to the Incipio Feather, the flash is IMPROVED, but not totally fixed. If you take 2 identical pics with case on or off then you will see the difference. Also, the sides seem to go up higher than the Feather so it might offer a little more protection.

25. random person macrumors 6502a

Will oversized/L-shaped headphone cables fit into this case without a problem?

Also I assume you can use any dock connecting cable without issues?