Case Mate: Tank

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by EvanLugh, Nov 16, 2011.

1. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

I won a competition for the new Case Mate: Tank.
    Apparently it's military spec, Polycarbonate hard shell with silicone cushioned interior.

A bit bulky for me I think, I haven't received it yet. Has anyone had any experience with this case?

It's RRP is £40. Not bad for a freebie =]

2. barachus macrumors regular

3. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

The new case is one of very few such products that pass U.S. Military Specifications for sand/dust, shock/drop, wind/rain and vibration. What’s more, the company hired Detroit Testing Laboratory to show the world their case is 2.5 tougher than the leading brand’s product (Otterbox?).

4. EvanLugh thread starter macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

Thanks for adding that :) so yes, military spec lol

5. MrRon macrumors regular

MrRon

US ARMY may make iPhone and this case as one of the standard equipments :D

But do we need this for daily life?? We r not in Afghan......

6. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

by the way some people treat their phones it would appear the phone would be better off in the middle east

7. Munkypoo7 macrumors 6502

Munkypoo7

Could it be over kill? Sure, but I for one can attest to seeing multiple phones, iPhones included, being beyond damaged on construction sites. For some reason they just have a tendency to fall screen first on rebar that has yet to be capped so it's an instakill.

To top that off, this is just one of a multitude of other professions out there that just beg to obliterate your phone.

Does a case like this have a purpose? You bet. For most people? Probably not, but if there's a market, you might as well hit it.

8. EvanLugh thread starter macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

woah, that's mad. I might make my own mashup of abuse. I receive it on Friday.. first thing i'll do is shoot it, then see how it likes a 60ft drop :D

9. Walse macrumors member

I have the Tank in my hand now, I gotta say I'm quite disappointed.

Once in the case, you will notice that the phone has become significantly wider. I have a survivor, but I stll feel the survivor gives a better grip feel to it. He advertising video where they show metal balls beig dropped on Tank fitted iPhones, I not so sure about it. I've make sure live followed the installation instructions, disassembled and put it back a few time, but it's still the same. He famed retractable screen protection...... I don't know..... I'm REALLY not too sure and is not confident that it'll really withstand the impact of even a Golf ball. I can never understand how the screen is ever going to be protected from direct impact if there isn't sufficient buffer space between the retractable shield and the phone screen? No rocket science involved, just simple layman logic.

Anyway, I've already sent them a CS support request which has yet to be attended to. Somehow I get a feeling they are picking and choosing which request to reply to...... Hope they get back to me fast, my first dealing with them and it's already on a bad start.

10. EvanLugh thread starter macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

Thanks for your input. I too wonder about the retractable screen protector, it seems more of a gimmick thank if it were to do any good.
    I went out last night, had a few drinks. Decided to drop my phone ~10ft off a balcony onto a street (concrete). Aside from shooting bricks, when I got to it, it was perfectly fine. I'd imagine it all depends on which side etc, as vibrations can still cause shock damage, of which it has no protection.

I'm going shooting today so will see how it handles a .22 12ft/lbs for starters. I won't be using my phone, i'll but some card with a 3-4mil plastic in front.
    If that gets damaged then I definitely won't be trying to my iPhone, lol.

11. labman macrumors 604

labman

do a video of it getting shot. be interested in seeing the results. the case defiantly seems overkill for the average day to day. However still might be good for those Macho Man days! :p

12. mpossoff, Nov 19, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2011

mpossoff macrumors 68020

I like the Otterbox Defender. It might not offer as much protection as the Tank but offers more style for a protective case. The Defender to is a type of case that you can rock on the weekends cause it has some style to it for a protective case.

13. EvanLugh thread starter macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

Yeah I was thinking of filming it, would make it more interesting:)

I know a lot of people working on construction sites or on a beach for example so day to day its perfect. I'd rather have Braun over style :)

14. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I'd like to have brawn on weekdays then to be able to easily switch out to a slim style case on weekends such as the Zoo Gue case as an example. I need protection during the week because of my job but don't need protection when I get home Friday at 3 PM to Monday morning when it's time for work.

15. vaugha macrumors 6502

16. Walse macrumors member

Worst Case ever

I'm really mad with the people at Casemate... Bunch of bullies.

Told them their screen protector is never going to protect the phone screen, like I mentioned in my previous post, and they just keep repeating like a answering machine saying their cases are tested and bla bla. Then they make me shoot a video to show how the screen protector would touch the screen...... Of course I have to show it with the protector half-shut to shoot the cross-section, in order to explain how the problem is present. Then after the video, they replied that I can do a refund or exchange but I would have to bear the shipping charges to send it back to them. They would further deduct the shipping and handling fees incurred when I first purchase from them, should I choose to do a refund. At the end of the day, they are going to make me a sucker who ends up without a case and paying for all those fees!!!? Outrageous!!!

I really how some can say their CS is good..... It's below average.

Btw, I saw another lady who posted her broken Tank at Casemate Facebook too..... Horrible quality!!!! She only had one normal drop and broke.

For the records, I've purchase case from other case makers as well.... Not to mention the marque, this company sent me a pre-revised version of their top-of-line case, so naturally I wrote them an email and with no other questions, they sent me another revised version of the case. No question asked! This is CS at it's best!!

I WOULD NEVER BUY A CASEMATE CASE AGAIN. Period.

Well done Casemate.... U just acquired yourself an EXTREMELY unhappy customer. Well done.....

17. hizzaah macrumors 6502

Not to ignore the above post, but what happened to the guy with the .22 :D

18. mbh87 macrumors member

Case-mate has never hassled me. I've always got replacements sent after providing pictures and I've never had to send my old on back. I'll never order from them again though because their case quality is terrible.

19. bessielee2011 macrumors newbie

Mine is MiPow Maca 2200

Mipow Maca power case 2200

Attached Files:

20. JayJayJay macrumors member

With all due respect. The case isn't defective. You are simply not satisfied. As such, why should they have to bear the cost of shipping, etc? I don't quite understand the nature of your post.

21. Walse macrumors member

Hi Jay, maybe when u r in my shoes. Then maybe u will know how I feel.

Apologies to the owner of this thread, perhaps I should just post as a new thread.

22. indyzzzz macrumors 6502a

23. JayJayJay macrumors member

I've been in your shoes a million times, where I order something that I didn't like or care for, and am forced to return it. NEVER have I expected a company to pay for return shipping and to refund my original shipping cost, in such a situation. That is absurd. Had you received a defective case, or one that was not as described, it would be a different story. However, to expect them to pay for return shipping and refund your original shipping cost, just cause you didn't like the case is unreasonable.

24. Walse macrumors member

Hi jay, not here to debate. We all have our rights to voice. Period.

If you wanna prove something, take it elsewhere. Leave this thread alone.